Is Chemo a Scam?

TexasCharlie
TexasCharlie Member Posts: 76
edited January 2016 in Breast Cancer #1

An aquaintance on facebook made the claim that chemo was a scam. I went through it and I am a survivor so I personally believe in Chemo as a treatment. However I would like the feedback of other survivors who went through chemo.

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I am in another support group in person.

There are people with all kinds of cancer and all stages.  One members who participated for a couple of months. the, we meet weekly and I think he may have been to 4 or 5. Dod one infusion of chemo.  He did not like feeling nauseated.  The chemo dropped his markers considerably, in fact, he stated his onco felt with 3 more treatments, if they went as well as the first, he could be in a complete remission.  I don't know the staging w/his cancer, but he never said he was stage iv.

Well, he started researching on the internet, found the testimonials on hemp oil being the cure for cancer.  Absolutely he had every right to decide on his treatment.  It took him about 5-6/weeks to get the oil from somewhere in California due to the high cost, it was $2500 for a Months supply.  The last meeting he attended was about 10 days into his oil.  He said anyone who does chemo is an idiot for putting poison in your body.  He passed less than 2 weeks later.

I was a little miffed when he called all of us idiots, as all but 1 or 2 had chemo at some point, but we were all around to talk about it.  

I have had a lot of chemo.  I don't know if it is a scam, I would hope not. I think in some cases we may have been scammed when research was tweaked or presented in a.board way to get approved.  Or when side effects or adverse reactions have been played down so we do not always get an accurate account of a product.  So in that way maybe it is a scam.  Pharmaceutical companies don't have too far to go for that t poo happen as the product they are pushing is to save or e extend lives.  I want to live, so I was willing to do 2 1/2 years of weekly chemo' and many other treatments, with no guarantee' only HOPE.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Ugh. Don't listen to people

Ugh. Don't listen to people on Facebook. How can it be a scam when it has cured so many people? I had an 8cm tumor and chemo completely eradicated it. How is that a scam?

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    Hemp

Texas,

Chemo Deniers have been "blowin too much doobie."

I am a long-timer at the Lymphoma Board and the Prostate Board.  Since lymphoma is pretty much exclusively a "chemo game," it is nearly all that we discuss (surgery and radiation are both almost never used against lymphoma or leukemia).  Most "deniers" seek either hemp oil or "nutritional cures."  The hard scientific studies consistently show both to be of virtually no worth in a curative sense. They may promote some sorts of well-being, but are not curative. Neither kills cancer cells.  Easily 95% of the "wisdom" encountered on the internet is ridiculous; pitiful, really.  Only academic and bona fide scientific sites are of real value.

A dear friend died of breast cancer Friday. After about seven months of treatment (chemo, surgery) she was told that all was hopeless at the best cancer center in the U.S.  She was offered chemo again toward palliative care (reduce the tumors, extend her life some, possibly a year).  She declined, and began a "Nutrition Cure," which a site "Guaranteed effective."  Withn two weeks of her last infusion, the tumors began furious growth.

I went to her Wake yesterday, ten months after her initial diagnosis.

• Pattitsa
    Pattitsa Member Posts: 7
    twnkltoz said:

Ugh. Don't listen to people on Facebook. How can it be a scam when it has cured so many people? I had an 8cm tumor and chemo completely eradicated it. How is that a scam?

chemo is not a scam

I agree 100% Twnkltoz, I just finished my 6th & last round on Dec. 1st & now just started radiation for bc. Although I like the idea of integrated care, I wouldn't go on only a natural cure regimen. Good luck To all & congrats to you, be well.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    I agree with Twinkltoz too.

I agree with Twinkltoz too. Chemo saved my life. You know what's kind of funny? The same people who make these type of claims are the FIRST to accept chemo when they hear the scary diagnosis and it hits home. One man who told me to eat lemons every day instead of chemo, just accepted chemo for a family member. I guess he forgot about the lemon cure!

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537

Hemp

Texas,

Chemo Deniers have been "blowin too much doobie."

I am a long-timer at the Lymphoma Board and the Prostate Board.  Since lymphoma is pretty much exclusively a "chemo game," it is nearly all that we discuss (surgery and radiation are both almost never used against lymphoma or leukemia).  Most "deniers" seek either hemp oil or "nutritional cures."  The hard scientific studies consistently show both to be of virtually no worth in a curative sense. They may promote some sorts of well-being, but are not curative. Neither kills cancer cells.  Easily 95% of the "wisdom" encountered on the internet is ridiculous; pitiful, really.  Only academic and bona fide scientific sites are of real value.

A dear friend died of breast cancer Friday. After about seven months of treatment (chemo, surgery) she was told that all was hopeless at the best cancer center in the U.S.  She was offered chemo again toward palliative care (reduce the tumors, extend her life some, possibly a year).  She declined, and began a "Nutrition Cure," which a site "Guaranteed effective."  Withn two weeks of her last infusion, the tumors began furious growth.

I went to her Wake yesterday, ten months after her initial diagnosis.

I totally believe that the 'Hemp Oil Cure"

Is a total scam regarding a cure.  They have found through legitimat7e studies that it can help with pain, but when I read all about the 'cure' when I was dx'd stage iv 8years after my initial diagnosis, the only thing I could find was testamonials.  I emailed a couple, never got any response, so I assumed it didn't work.

The only response I did get was to email for more info on where to get the oil and they would give me a price.  Never did anymore.  I figured my doctors know what they were doing.  5 1:2  years later, I am still alive.

if 

• TexasCharlie
    TexasCharlie Member Posts: 76
    twnkltoz said:

twnkltoz

I am glad to hear you are in remission. Praise the Lord. 

Just a little background, I was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in Oct of 2012. It was stage IV because it had come through my right nipple. A PET scan showed cancerous lymph nodes under my right arm also. I went through 13 weeks of chemo missed a lot of work, then had a mastectomy and surgery to remove the lymph nodes and then radiation. I am cancer free now for 3 + years. I just needed opinions from others to support my own feelings on this. It was an old high school friend that rocked my boat and you twinkltoz really helped to solidify my resolve the most. For this I thank you.

My best wishes and blessings in your continued good health.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member

twnkltoz

I am glad to hear you are in remission. Praise the Lord. 

Just a little background, I was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in Oct of 2012. It was stage IV because it had come through my right nipple. A PET scan showed cancerous lymph nodes under my right arm also. I went through 13 weeks of chemo missed a lot of work, then had a mastectomy and surgery to remove the lymph nodes and then radiation. I am cancer free now for 3 + years. I just needed opinions from others to support my own feelings on this. It was an old high school friend that rocked my boat and you twinkltoz really helped to solidify my resolve the most. For this I thank you.

My best wishes and blessings in your continued good health.

I'm glad I could assist!

I'm glad I could assist! Congratulations on your excellent outcome, especially from Stage IV! I needed to hear that today.