One-time

Options

I expect that I will be a one-time visitor here.  I myself have experienced advanced stage III lymphoma and, years later, an unrelated stage II prostate cancer.  I am currently in full remission with both.  I have met BC visitors at the lymphoma board, writing about relatives with lymphoma...

A dear friend at church died Friday of BC.  She was diagnosed at late Stage 4, with metastatic disease into the sternum and bone. She did not know she was sick at diagnosis, never felt a lump anywhere.  Her disease was "triple negative," which I looked up, and I understand that it is an aggressive strain.  From what I read, her chances with stage 4 triple-negative were around 25% or less.

She was treated at a large, regional cancer center. She was put on TAC chemo, which knocked the tumors way back. Shortly after chemo, she had the left removed surgically, and was planning either surgery into her sternum, or radiation of the area, or both. 

After surgical removal, she went to MD Anderson in Houston for a second opinion about further treatment.  They did a scan, and said it was so bad that they would do nothing, except palliative care. She chose to end all treatments, based on what MD Anderson told her.   Between diagnosis and her passing was less than one year.

My question is: Is stage 4 triple-negative normally this bad ?  Did she have options that were not told to her ?

I, and all who knew her, will miss her terribly.

max

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Max I am so sorry to hear about

Your friend -

We have several Sisters in pink on our board here - currently dealing with stage 4 ...  I can not add anything about their pain journey or struggles 

Hoping a fellow sister walking this path can add her comments 

Vicki Sam

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. No one can really know what could have been, but I hope you get some peace by knowing that Anderson is an amazing center and she was in the best of hands. I'm glad your friend had people like you who loved her dearly. Peace to you....

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    Options
    button2 said:

I am so sorry to hear about

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. No one can really know what could have been, but I hope you get some peace by knowing that Anderson is an amazing center and she was in the best of hands. I'm glad your friend had people like you who loved her dearly. Peace to you....

appreciated

Thanks to the both of you. I realize that her case was much worse than most.  Best of luck to you all,

max