Now it's the other end

Options
2»

Comments

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Treatment

im so sorry you have to go thru this.  I wish there was an easier way to the cure. I  Remember how scarEd I was the night before the first treatment but I also remember at the end of that first day after treatment thinking I can do this.  as unbelievable as this is, you can do it!  All the best as you go forward and conquer.

carrol

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    AZANNIE said:

Update

I had an appt with radiation oncologist the 29th. I like him. He explained everything. I was given copies of papers I signed (side effects) without even asking. I remember signing something the first go around, but didn't get a copy. Now I ask for copies of everything. The facility opened in September so new and improved equipment - Truebeam STX. There's also a patient portal.

CT planning and tattoos were today. Treatment begins the week of March 14th for 7 weeks and so another journey begins...still can't believe it...

The dr said side effects appear about week 3 (unlike the nurse who said I won't turn red when I asked when during previous treatment and in a way she was right, it wasn't red but purple).  So I'm hoping this journey will be smoother sailing. Thankful I don't have to have chemo which would make a real difference in the way I would feel.

Ann

Ann

I'm glad you like your doctor and got a full explanation of possible side effects.  I know you are not looking forward to more treatment, but you will get through this.  I have not been through this treatment, but I hope that it will be easier than what you went through before.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you'll update us as you are up to it.  Take care.

Martha

• laso
    laso Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AZANNIE said:

Update

I had an appt with radiation oncologist the 29th. I like him. He explained everything. I was given copies of papers I signed (side effects) without even asking. I remember signing something the first go around, but didn't get a copy. Now I ask for copies of everything. The facility opened in September so new and improved equipment - Truebeam STX. There's also a patient portal.

CT planning and tattoos were today. Treatment begins the week of March 14th for 7 weeks and so another journey begins...still can't believe it...

The dr said side effects appear about week 3 (unlike the nurse who said I won't turn red when I asked when during previous treatment and in a way she was right, it wasn't red but purple).  So I'm hoping this journey will be smoother sailing. Thankful I don't have to have chemo which would make a real difference in the way I would feel.

Ann

Ann

I was treated in 2012 for stage 2 anal cancer. Last month I completed treatment (lumpectomy and 4 weeks of radiation) for stage 1 breast cancer. This time around was so much easier. Around week 3 of radiation to my breast I had a mild burn and a rash with some intense itching. They gave me a cream for the itching. The real burns didn't show up until after I was finished with my 4 week course of radiation. The burns were bad (but not as bad as with anal cancer radiation) for about 2 weeks then they started to heal. I used Aquaphor and avoided wearing a bra as much as possible because some of the burns were in the crease under the breast.  Despite the burns this treatment was a walk in the park compared to what I went through 4 years ago. I think not having chemo makes a huge difference. Now I am taking Arimidex and so far no side effects from that. 

• AZANNIE
    AZANNIE Member Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    laso said:

Ann

I was treated in 2012 for stage 2 anal cancer. Last month I completed treatment (lumpectomy and 4 weeks of radiation) for stage 1 breast cancer. This time around was so much easier. Around week 3 of radiation to my breast I had a mild burn and a rash with some intense itching. They gave me a cream for the itching. The real burns didn't show up until after I was finished with my 4 week course of radiation. The burns were bad (but not as bad as with anal cancer radiation) for about 2 weeks then they started to heal. I used Aquaphor and avoided wearing a bra as much as possible because some of the burns were in the crease under the breast.  Despite the burns this treatment was a walk in the park compared to what I went through 4 years ago. I think not having chemo makes a huge difference. Now I am taking Arimidex and so far no side effects from that. 

laso

Thanks so much for the information!  Congrats on completing treatment! Mine is stage 0 so thought treatment would be less than seven weeks. Will discuss this with radiation oncologist. I too am hoping this is a walk in the park compared to anal cancer radiation. 

Best wishes to you!

Ann

• AZANNIE
    Options

Treatment

im so sorry you have to go thru this.  I wish there was an easier way to the cure. I  Remember how scarEd I was the night before the first treatment but I also remember at the end of that first day after treatment thinking I can do this.  as unbelievable as this is, you can do it!  All the best as you go forward and conquer.

carrol

Phoebesnow

Thanks for your vote of confidence! Yes, I can do this! 

Ann

• tammysalterego
    tammysalterego Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Radiation in perinial area

I was radiated for vulva cancer 5 years ago and my skin is beyond damaged. It is so delicate that to sit for more than 1 hour causes cracks near my anus and clitoral areas. I can't find anything that aids in healing...oh yeah, I also have lichen sclerosis which causes thinning of the skin and unbearable itching. To top that, the topical lotion for that causes further thinning of the skin. For 5 years I have been unable to heal my fried arse. The skin cracks, peels, then tries to regenerate, but is not healing. What did you do to get through the radiation healing process?. 

• AZANNIE
    Options

I was radiated for vulva cancer 5 years ago and my skin is beyond damaged. It is so delicate that to sit for more than 1 hour causes cracks near my anus and clitoral areas. I can't find anything that aids in healing...oh yeah, I also have lichen sclerosis which causes thinning of the skin and unbearable itching. To top that, the topical lotion for that causes further thinning of the skin. For 5 years I have been unable to heal my fried arse. The skin cracks, peels, then tries to regenerate, but is not healing. What did you do to get through the radiation healing process?. 

Radiation side effects

So sorry you're dealing with this. I ended up in the hospital with burns and a wound care nurse prescribed Xenaderm (prescription) which seemed to help. I think it was Desitin I had to put on over the Xenaderm.Hope you find relief soon.

Ann

• AZANNIE
    Options

tammysalterego

You might want to post a new forum topic. That way more people will respond with suggestions. I wonder if coconut oil would work?

Ann

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

tammysalterego

Have you tried coconut oil?  I find it very soothing when my skin in the treatment area gets cracked or irritated.