TUMERIC SUPPLEMENTS

BWE
BWE Member Posts: 4

Are there others using any type of tumeric supplements long with your chemo treatments?

Comments

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    I am.....dx 2009, NED so far.

I am.....dx 2009, NED so far.  Let me know if I can help.  debrajo

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Curcumin

I took Curcumin (Doctor's Best with bioperine) during chemo and have taken it daily since finishing chemo in 2010.  I was told not to take it for the 48 hours before and 48 hours after chemo, so that it would not interfere with the chemo treatment.  But I took 2 grams (2,000 mg) daily between treatments.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Tethys41 said:

Curcumin

I took Curcumin (Doctor's Best with bioperine) during chemo and have taken it daily since finishing chemo in 2010.  I was told not to take it for the 48 hours before and 48 hours after chemo, so that it would not interfere with the chemo treatment.  But I took 2 grams (2,000 mg) daily between treatments.

Tethys

what dose do you take now or was that determined for you individually?

• Tethys41
    ConnieSW said:

Tethys

what dose do you take now or was that determined for you individually?

Curumin

Hi Connie,

I currently take between 3 and 4 grams daily, which is the dose I started after completing chemo.  It works to keep inflammation in check, which is one of the issues I have.  But I don't think this dosage would be a problem for anyone, unless they are taking blood thinners, as Curcumin also thins the blood.  

:)

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Tethys41 said:

Curumin

Hi Connie,

I currently take between 3 and 4 grams daily, which is the dose I started after completing chemo.  It works to keep inflammation in check, which is one of the issues I have.  But I don't think this dosage would be a problem for anyone, unless they are taking blood thinners, as Curcumin also thins the blood.  

:)

Thank you.

I'm going to place an order.  I appreciate all the knowledge/ experience you have to offer.

• Carrot358
    Carrot358 Member Posts: 34
    Tethys41 said:

Curcumin

Complimentary treatments - cur cumin, mushroom powder

I understand it is important to have oil with tumeric and pepper, for absorption.  Is this something you take with the cur cumin capsule?  Can someone recommend a reliable provider of curcuma with bioprine?  Thank you for this discussion.  I have also heard a lot about mushroom powder.  I am going to start taking it And would like to know if others have.  There is an interesting TedTalk on it by Paul Stemets.

• Tethys41
    Carrot358 said:

Complimentary treatments - cur cumin, mushroom powder

I understand it is important to have oil with tumeric and pepper, for absorption.  Is this something you take with the cur cumin capsule?  Can someone recommend a reliable provider of curcuma with bioprine?  Thank you for this discussion.  I have also heard a lot about mushroom powder.  I am going to start taking it And would like to know if others have.  There is an interesting TedTalk on it by Paul Stemets.

Pepper

Hi Carrot

Bioperine is pepper.  So Curcumin with Bioperine includes pepper.  I tend to have a high fat diet, and take my supplements with meals.  So I feel that the oil portion is addressed through the fats I eat.  Mushroom extracts are good for the immune system.  I took Shitake mushroom capsules throughout treatment. Shitake does not interfere wtih chemo and actually works synergistically with Carbo-Taxol. so I was able to take it on chemo days.

• Carrot358
    Carrot358 Member Posts: 34
    Tethys41 said:

Pepper

Hi Carrot

Bioperine is pepper.  So Curcumin with Bioperine includes pepper.  I tend to have a high fat diet, and take my supplements with meals.  So I feel that the oil portion is addressed through the fats I eat.  Mushroom extracts are good for the immune system.  I took Shitake mushroom capsules throughout treatment. Shitake does not interfere wtih chemo and actually works synergistically with Carbo-Taxol. so I was able to take it on chemo days.

Pepper

Thank you, tethysa41, I'm sure I would have plenty of fat to go with that capsule If I take it at meal time.  I haven't said anything to my md about either of these, probably a good idea.