Belated Happy Holidays!

Options

Hi everyone. Happy New Year! We are back from our trip to England and spending the holidays with my daughter and her husband. We had a wonderful time. For the last month I was able to put the day to day thoughts of cancer out of my mind and just enjoy the time with family. 

We arrived home Sunday, landing and getting home just a couple hours before the snow and ice came in to shut down the City for almost 3 days. We wimpy Northwesterners are scared into hibernation with the first dusting of snow, but I will admit the ice storns we get in Portland can be deadly. Anyway, we have been suffering a bit with the usual jet lag but have managed to get ourselves unpacked and settled back in.

Yesterday, I "got" to go back to cancer. I had to have the blood work to have my 6 months CEA test. I "get" to see my oncologist on Monday for the results. The good news is that all the other blood tests they took are well within normal ranges so now I just have to wait for the most important test result. Depending in what the CEA test shows I will either have to start my CT scans immediately or I will get to wait until March. Crossing fingers for March. 

It is a bit schizophrenic to go from travel and life without cancer back to tests and the regular thoughts of cancer and the what if's. But I guess that is life. Truth is, I feel so blessed that I was able to travel to England and spend the last month with my daughter and her husband. I have to keep reminding myself that those regualr tests and scans and oncology visits are the thing that allows me the chance to live. One day and test at a time.

Blessing to everyone in 2016.

MAlice

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options
    Wish I could have been in England

My home. 

Where in England were you? Did you get to see the New Years Parade? I had a niece (from America) performing there this year. 

So glad that you could enjoy a month Cancer thought free (for the most part).

You know, I look at my blood work and scans as a blessing. I think of our friends and all the others who would LOVE to be alive getting regular blood work and scans. When I drink that nasty Barium pre-scan, I raise my cup up and rember someone. A name for each sip. It makes me appreciate what I have. 

Don't worry about your CEA result. No amount of worry will change what is on that paper. Live life to it fullest. Know that we are thinking of you and hoping for that good result. 

Sue - Trubrit

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a schizo life,

Yes, it's a schizo life, normal for chunks of time, then tests and scans and waiting. But that is our lot, and it could be worse, always. My pop passed last night at 88+, unable to communicate or even focus on us, my sister played music he loved off her iphone, in his ear. His raspy snoring got quiet, like he was listening, and his pulse started slowing from 120 or so, and he slowly came to a stop and slipped away. A good ending to a good man's life, with the family around. My brother, sister, and I sat with him and told stories until the mortuary came for him. If my end comes with a portion of the peace and love that was there, I'll go with a smile.............................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,800 Member
    Options

Yes, it's a schizo life,

Yes, it's a schizo life, normal for chunks of time, then tests and scans and waiting. But that is our lot, and it could be worse, always. My pop passed last night at 88+, unable to communicate or even focus on us, my sister played music he loved off her iphone, in his ear. His raspy snoring got quiet, like he was listening, and his pulse started slowing from 120 or so, and he slowly came to a stop and slipped away. A good ending to a good man's life, with the family around. My brother, sister, and I sat with him and told stories until the mortuary came for him. If my end comes with a portion of the peace and love that was there, I'll go with a smile.............................Dave

Blessings!

You have seen much loss in a short time, Dave. 

I am so happy to know that you as well as your pop, found peace at his passing. 

And, what a wonderful thing to do. Music while someone slips away. That is going on my list of what I want, when I (am passing) pass away. I already have my funeral planned, and what I want in my coffin. But music (and family) while I pass would be a true blessing. So, I thank you for sharing. 

Again, I say blessings. 

Sue - Trubrit

• lilpep1972
    lilpep1972 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Yes, it's a schizo life,

Sorry for

Your loss.... awsum to hear such a soothing sound as you pass..  I could picture some bright lights, a lot of smiling faces and some loved ones just waiting for your soul to join there's ..  for me I have made my peace with the big guy above therefore death no longer has anything over me. I'm actually over it and I know it will be a peaceful experience.  Thoughts and prayers to your pops and you and your family on your loss.. im sure he is smiling down on you' s as I type..  

Chris :) 

• lilpep1972
    lilpep1972 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Yes, it's a schizo life,

Sorry for

Your loss.... awsum to hear such a soothing sound as you pass..  I could picture some bright lights, a lot of smiling faces and some loved ones just waiting for your soul to join there's ..  for me I have made my peace with the big guy above therefore death no longer has anything over me. I'm actually over it and I know it will be a peaceful experience.  Thoughts and prayers to your pops and you and your family on your loss.. im sure he is smiling down on you' s as I type..  

Chris :) 

• MAliceR
    MAliceR Member Posts: 98
    Options

Yes, it's a schizo life,

Blessing to you and your family

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mom 8 1/2 years ago and my dad 3 1/2 years ago. It is never easy. What a beautiful way to quiet your dads passing. My mom passed in the night, none of us were with her. I held my dads hand and we prayed with him through his final hours. We also waited with him, surrounding him with our love until he was moved to prepare for his final rest next to my mom It gave all of us peace knowing we were there with him from this world into the next. I wish it could have been that way with my mom. They are still with me every day. People will tell you it gets easier. Truth is, I think it does. Those who go before us, never leave us, but they become warm memories and dear friends in our hearts for the rest of our lives, until we meet again. I hope peace finds you and your family as you move through your loss. 

MAlice