Herceptin and heart tissue????

Options

I am still getting herceptin treatments.  I have been getting my echos every three months.  This time my doctor called and said she noticed a slight change in the results, and has now referred me to an cardiologist.. Should i be concerned?    And has anyone experienced the same thing?

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Yes, I certainly did

The same thing happened to me. Then I got another scan and it had progressed to a problem with one of my heart valves. I was careful to keep up my walking routine and eat a heart healthy diet (I'm not sure how much this helped) and the problem got better all on its own when I stopped the Herceptin. I'm three years out of treatment now and am training for running a 17K mountain race in Feb and a full marathon in November. I am proof of what a miracle Herceptin is... hang in there!! hugs, Anna

• christald21
    christald21 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    button2 said:

Yes, I certainly did

The same thing happened to me. Then I got another scan and it had progressed to a problem with one of my heart valves. I was careful to keep up my walking routine and eat a heart healthy diet (I'm not sure how much this helped) and the problem got better all on its own when I stopped the Herceptin. I'm three years out of treatment now and am training for running a 17K mountain race in Feb and a full marathon in November. I am proof of what a miracle Herceptin is... hang in there!! hugs, Anna

Thank you

Thanks for the reply

i will  be having a scan today. A mug scan?  Hope all goes well

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options

Thank you

Thanks for the reply

i will  be having a scan today. A mug scan?  Hope all goes well

Yes that kind of scan

I'm glad they are doing a Muga scan (I think it's called). I got one every three months throughout my Herceptin treatment. The heart problems are annoying with Herceptin, but on a happy note, the only other side effects I had were dry skin and splitting fingernails. Other than that, it was very easy. It was good to finally be able to eat and taste food after the months of chemo. Keeping my fingers crossed that your scan results are good, Anna 0000XXXX

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Heart issues

i've been on Herceptin for a year. Since I'm a Medster, I'm supposed to be on it indefinitely or until it stops working. had an echo in October and my LVEF was down to 54%. When it drops below 50%, they get very concerned. My onco sent me to a cardiologist who put me on 2 new meds. After being on the meds just six weeks, my LVEF was back up to 66%. I was very happy to hear that! Don't want to come off the herceptin because I feel it's keeping me alive. My cardiologist said not to worry, she has all kinds of meds she can try if I star having problems again.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Same with one of my friends here.

She was dx'd stage 4, with a huge tumor in her liver.  They did chemo and herceptn to shrink the liver mass.  It actually got rid of it. She had the mastectomy, reconstruction  and has been on Herceptin for over 5 years and will be on it for life or until it stops working.