Have to wait two weeks to get into Wound Care

Options
EZLiving66
EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,483 Member

I called my GP this morning to ask her to refer me to Wound Care for my port site.  Her nurse called back and asked me to call my oncologist first to see if they wanted to refer me.  So....I called them and told them truthfully that I had lost confidence in their ability to fix this thing since they tried twice while the port was still in and infected.  My chemo nurse, Tina, called me back and said there is a two week wait for an appointment with Wound Care but she would like to see me tomorrow morning to look at it.  The hole after two weeks is big enough to put my finger in it and now puss is draining out of it.  I am so discouraged!  

Tina asked me the same thing I've been asking myself - is the infected port making me so sick OR am I so sick that the port won't heal?  She DID make the appointment with Wound Care so I guess I have nothing to lose letting them try and fix it again but it's just so painful when they open it with no numbing agent and poke around in it!!  

Love,

Eldri

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,383 Member
    Options
    Eldri, I am so sorry.  Do you

Eldri, I am so sorry.  Do you have the name of the wound care place you want to go?  You are suffering and two weeks seems crazy.  I would recommend try calling them yourself.

When I was first given my gyn onc's name, I sat there as the nurse called to make an appointment for me.  I was told 4/17 and the nurse recommended I call myself as they sometime make room if the patient called themself.  I did call and was able to get one on 4/11.  It was 6 days sooner than planned - and it was what I wanted. 

My mother always said, "What's the worse they are going to say?"

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

Eldri, I am so sorry.  Do you

Eldri, I am so sorry.  Do you have the name of the wound care place you want to go?  You are suffering and two weeks seems crazy.  I would recommend try calling them yourself.

When I was first given my gyn onc's name, I sat there as the nurse called to make an appointment for me.  I was told 4/17 and the nurse recommended I call myself as they sometime make room if the patient called themself.  I did call and was able to get one on 4/11.  It was 6 days sooner than planned - and it was what I wanted. 

My mother always said, "What's the worse they are going to say?"

I've lost confidence, too

with that depth, it really needs   packing.  I hope they get you in sooner.  Show them a little dander.  Polite but firm

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    ConnieSW said:

I've lost confidence, too

with that depth, it really needs   packing.  I hope they get you in sooner.  Show them a little dander.  Polite but firm

Make some waves

I had so hoped you were better!  You know if nothing else works, show up in the ER and let them figure it out.  And has anyone considered an infectious disease physician?  No doubt you have an infection.  Bottom line is it seems you're not improving.  Maybe it will take time.  I'd just like to hear that from someone a whole lot smarter than me before I think I'm fine and time heals all . . .

Make waves, rattle cages, whatever it takes.  The holidays are behind us.  the medical folks should be back at work and of course, they're backed up, but people get sick and need to be cared for.  Please do whatever it takes to get this resolved.

Hugs,

Suzanne

• Shell bug
    Shell bug Member Posts: 76
    Options
    I don't want to scare you,

I don't want to scare you, but I had an infected port and went into septic shock. it took seven days in the hospital to save me. I'm lucky I made it. Please demand care, now. A blood clot also formed in my jugular which is now permanently blocked. I'm not sure if that's related to the infection though. I just feel like I needed to tell you, it doesn't mean things will be the same for you.

Rachelle

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Shell bug said:

I don't want to scare you,

I don't want to scare you, but I had an infected port and went into septic shock. it took seven days in the hospital to save me. I'm lucky I made it. Please demand care, now. A blood clot also formed in my jugular which is now permanently blocked. I'm not sure if that's related to the infection though. I just feel like I needed to tell you, it doesn't mean things will be the same for you.

Rachelle

Eldri, this is becoming obsurd!

I think it is a good idea to just show up at the ER.  What kind of insurance coverage do you have?  I have BCBS and can arrange to see any doctor I want to see.  Perhaps you should arrange an appointment on your own with a wound care doctor, a plastic surgeon or an infectious control doctor.  This infection can be lethal and it seems that not enough is being done to provide adequate care.  Be firm- insist on proper care if you have an HMO type insurance that requires a Primary Care physician referral.

Make them numb the area before they poke at it! 

Best to you,

Cathy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Abbycat2 said:

Eldri, this is becoming obsurd!

I think it is a good idea to just show up at the ER.  What kind of insurance coverage do you have?  I have BCBS and can arrange to see any doctor I want to see.  Perhaps you should arrange an appointment on your own with a wound care doctor, a plastic surgeon or an infectious control doctor.  This infection can be lethal and it seems that not enough is being done to provide adequate care.  Be firm- insist on proper care if you have an HMO type insurance that requires a Primary Care physician referral.

Make them numb the area before they poke at it! 

Best to you,

Cathy

Agree!

Time to shout at the top of your lungs. Please don't wait 2 more weeks. This is beyond crazy!!!!

ER sounds like a great idea.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• giggs100
    giggs100 Member Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh

I agree with the others.  Shake the ground, holler loud and get them off their butts and doing something for you.   Two weeks is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to wait.  

Jerri 

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I went to the hospital this

I went to the hospital this morning and saw my PA.  She took a culture and then had my chemo nurse, Tina, clean the wound and pack it.  She showed me how to pack it myself and gave me the supplies to do it.  If I can't, I have a friend who is an RN and I think she would do it for me.  It was opinion of both of them that it wasn't infected, just draining some yellow stuff - no redness/no fever.  I kept my appointment for wound care on the 19th but will try to do the packing myself and HOPEFULLY this will heal from the inside out.  

They also gave me Gabapentin to help with the foot pain at night.  I'll try it out tonight - fingers crossed it works!!!  At least my fingers are just numb.

Love,

Eldri

• joannewtta
    joannewtta Member Posts: 43
    Options

I went to the hospital this

I went to the hospital this morning and saw my PA.  She took a culture and then had my chemo nurse, Tina, clean the wound and pack it.  She showed me how to pack it myself and gave me the supplies to do it.  If I can't, I have a friend who is an RN and I think she would do it for me.  It was opinion of both of them that it wasn't infected, just draining some yellow stuff - no redness/no fever.  I kept my appointment for wound care on the 19th but will try to do the packing myself and HOPEFULLY this will heal from the inside out.  

They also gave me Gabapentin to help with the foot pain at night.  I'll try it out tonight - fingers crossed it works!!!  At least my fingers are just numb.

Love,

Eldri

gabapentin

I take Gabapentin for my neuropathy and it helps. They still hurt and the best relief is a heated blanket and my Recliner in the evening.looks strange in July. I tried Lyrica and it was a disaster for me. My hands escaped the damage; just mostly toes. Cold is my worse enemy and we had temps in 20's for a week. Now low 30's. Wow! Snow. Freezing rain and wild winds for three nights.