First round of treatments done!

Last Tuesday I had the final radiation treatment. My white blood cell counts were too low the three times we attempted chemo, so we called chemo done as well. So I'm all done with the first round of treatments!

In February, I have two rounds of higher dose chemo (Carboplatin and Taxol), three weeks apart. Then in March or April, I have the PET scan to see the results. I'd forgotten how long this first wait can seem, especially since my radiation oncologist was fairly tight-lipped about progress. There were some good hints though: he said the main mass in my lung "was shrinking considerably" during treatments, and the therapists also commented several times on the fast response of the mass. 

I've been fighting some pretty bad nausea but it seems to have died down today. I'm hoping I've turned the corner into the healing phase, post-treatments. 

It's a good feeling to still be here to check in for 2016! Happy New Year, everyone! :-)

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Well at least one down...

One down and hopping the WBC comes up and helps with the fight. The nausea can be so miserable I hope they have given you something that will work for it. Not sure if antacids would help with that, but i'm sure it has the stomach acid really stirred up. I do so hope that with this new year comes with all the solutions you need, and as always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bill

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Laralyn

You are doing great, keep your focus, now with the radiation behind you, you can start the healing process and get to being somewhat normal again.

Will continue praying for you

Tim

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Wonderful!

It looks like you will have a happy and healthier new year. With cancer, it seems good news comes in bits and pieces, but mass shrinking and fast response are some nice sized chunks. We'll be waiting for NED with you.

• osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Blessings with

blessings that all goes well in your healing process 

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 726 Member
    osmotar said:

Blessings with

blessings that all goes well in your healing process 

Hope in the New Year

Hi Laralyn,

Here's hoping all will be well for you in 2016 and you'll once again beat the beast back into seclusion.  It hurts to know you have to go through all this again.  Keep the thoughts positive and we'll keep the prayers heading your way.

Tom

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Way to go Laralyn!

You are awesome...Lots of prayers and well wishes that all will be clear and you will have a happy HEALTHY 2016!

Barbara

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    1 down

Laralyn,

It is very nice to read you have finished round one, you are feeling not to bad and early indications are good.

I do not know the proto call for this type of cancer but stay hydrate, well-nourished and ahead of known side effects.

Good luck.

Matt

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year Laralyn!!! You deserve it.  We all do.  

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Wishing you well!

You have a wonderful attitude as you press forward with treatments. Good news on shrinking tumors. Wish you well for a fast recovery! Don

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for all the kind words and wishes. It means a lot to me!

Today is the one week anniversary of the last radiation so hopefully tomorrow the side effects will die down and I'll move into pure recovery. :-)

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Laralyn said:

Thanks, everyone!

Today is the one week anniversary of the last radiation so hopefully tomorrow the side effects will die down and I'll move into pure recovery. :-)

Laralyn

Let the healing begin! Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Candi

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    Laralyn said:

Thanks, everyone!

Congrats on being done! Hope

Congrats on being done! Hope you start feeling better soon!