3 month follow up

kln
kln Member Posts: 22

Good evening.  I went for my first three month follow up after finishing treatment.  I was very disappointed.  He asked how I was feeling I said fine he did see you in three months.i am pleased I feel good.  I just expected more from the follow up. Is this how they all are ? Thanks and happy holidays Kelly

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Social visit

My treatments ended 5 years ago (except for Tamoxifen and we will discuss the 10 year option when I next see my med onc in April).  I had 4 month followup visits, then 6, and now I have 6 month visits but one of them is with the NP and only one is with the med onc, so I see her only yearly. 

I'm afraid that's about it at the 3 month visits (thank goodness actually).  My med onc orders and checks labs and asks how I am doing (now is time to bring up any questions), the surgeon did my breast exams for the first couple of years, so anything off there would be checked then, and my mammos and breast MRIs are ordered and reviewed by the med onc.  IF anything is amiss on anything (patient complaints, physical exam, labs, mammos and if you have scans) they will be checked out at those "routine" 3 month visits.  We suddenly change from being the center of attention to just another office visit.  The visits are important in spite of feeling that we're not.  I'm sure they don't even think about us until about 2 minutes before they enter the exam room!

I have a very lovery, chatty med onc and I usually have a few questions (like why is my Vitamin D level so low) and for the first couple of years I complained bitterly every single chance I got about my hair not coming back,, but now it's just part of our rhetoric together.   Grow any more hair?  Nope.  End of conversation.  What basically happens at the visits is I ask about her family and she about mine.  The NP now does my breast exam and my med onc only does if I'm feeling something is off.   I hope I can always keep connected with her on a yearly basis and that my visits remain social visits.  Takes a while to accept that, Kelly.  Make the most of your visits.  Oh, the other thing my med onc follows is my bone density tests.  Sounds like yours simply didn't have anything to say as everything was ok - and that is a good thing.

Happy Holidays to you.

Suzanne

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    follow up visits

Mine does do a physical each time I go, checks my lymph nodes, looks in my mouth, listens to my heart and lungs, does a breast exam each time.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537

follow up visits

Mine does do a physical each time I go, checks my lymph nodes, looks in my mouth, listens to my heart and lungs, does a breast exam each time.

mine did a.quck.follow up.

Checked my remains ng nreast for lumps, bloodwork, and said I like oked good, this was standard for 8 ears unless something else was happening that I brought up.  If you have any questions, I wouldn't hesitate to call and leave a message or email.

Hope all is well.

Carol,

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    #mths will turn into 6mths

#mths will turn into 6mths and then graduate to yearly visits!

Denise

• kln
    kln Member Posts: 22
    Thank you everyone. I just

Thank you everyone. I just wasn't sure if there was blood work with the visits. Something to put my mind at ease . I have had 7 surgeries this year . 2 within the last two weeks. I noticed my whiteblood count was still low. I had my last Herceptin treatment in september. I was surprised that it's still in the low range. I guess I was hoping at the visit I would find this out so I can ask questions like how long until it returns to normal. Instead I found out overlooking the nurse at the last surgery. More adjustments I guess. Thank you all again very very much. Kelly

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    kln said:

Thank you everyone. I just

Thank you everyone. I just wasn't sure if there was blood work with the visits. Something to put my mind at ease . I have had 7 surgeries this year . 2 within the last two weeks. I noticed my whiteblood count was still low. I had my last Herceptin treatment in september. I was surprised that it's still in the low range. I guess I was hoping at the visit I would find this out so I can ask questions like how long until it returns to normal. Instead I found out overlooking the nurse at the last surgery. More adjustments I guess. Thank you all again very very much. Kelly

Kelly

Sounds like a disappointing visit for sure !!  Sorry 

next time try and bring a list of questions-- sounds like youmay have to pull information from your oncologist -- yikes!

Vicki Sam

• Jpierce
    Jpierce Member Posts: 3
    3 month follow up

I have my first visit with my medical oncologist tomorrow morning and joined this survivor network tonight to see if I could find any information on what to expect. I had a follow up visit with my surgical oncologist last month along with my first mammogram since my IDC diagnosis last July. Thanks to everyone who posted here. I am a little apprehensive about going tomorrow, but it sounds like it will be a fairly routine appointment.