Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year

fishmanpa
fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
edited December 2015 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Three years ago today I was just coming out of surgery for a tonsillectomy and biopsies after a positive diagnosis of SCC Head and Neck cancer. Subsequent testing, surgeries and biopsies put me at SCC H&N Tx N2b MO Stage IV  HPV+ (Not Pretty!). Unknown primaries make up only 1-2% of all H&N cancers. The road was long and extremely difficult but here I am, 2.5 years out of treatment and still kickin'!

I still struggle with side effects but the "new normal" sure beats the alternatives. I'm blessed. I work hard to maintain a positive attitude and believe me that's the key. To all that were here with me and to all that are new and just starting your journey, maintaning a positive attitude is 90% of the battle. 

I'm doing Ok. My GP visit today showed that I gained back 75% of the weight I lost and my health is good despite cardio vascular disease and the physical and mental side effects of treatment. One day at a time and one foot in front of the other ;) Find a good hospital and team of doctors. Do your homework, know the enemy and trust in your team. You can and will beat the beast!

My sincerest best wishes to all who supported me and fought the battle along with me, to those I knew who are no longer with us and to those who are just starting the battle...Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a Happy, Healthy New Year!

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

Comments

• supagama
    supagama Member Posts: 31
    So happy to hear how well you

So happy to hear how well you are doing!  Being a novice at all of this, it sure helps knowing all of you out there who are beating this damned disease!  I am currently awaiting results of PET scan and quadroscopy 3 months after initial treatment of radiation and chemo for Stage 1V soft palate cancer with lymoh involvement.  Merry Christmas to you all!  At least I know I won't overeat this year, as I can hardly swallow a thing.  A brighter, Happier, 2016 for us all!  Cheers!

Wendy

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi T

Wow time goes fast 3 years already, glad to hear you are doing well. You are 100% present right about having a positive attitude no matter what comes your way. That along with good friends here on CSN is what makes a big difference in each of our lives.

God bless and be with you through another year.

Tim  

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    T That is so good to hear.........

Yes time goes by fast. I do agree that you need the positive attitude is so important to have and if you've got 90% you are doing things right. Merry Christmas and may all your tomorrows be better than your todays. Happy New Year "T"

Bill

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Back at ya!

Merry Christmas to you as well!  Wishing everyone a wonderful 2016!! 

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Merry Christmas...

and a very Merry New Year to you, also....T. 

p

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Merry Christmas

still alive and kickin' here in Ohio~~happy to know you're doing well

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    back at you

Hi “T”,

Merry Christmas to you too and a Happy New Year.

Matt

• Guzzle
    Guzzle Member Posts: 710
    CivilMatt said:

back at you

Hi “T”,

Merry Christmas to you too and a Happy New Year.

Matt

XMAS

All the best buddy 

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 726 Member
    Guzzle said:

XMAS

All the best buddy 

Very Well Said

Thanks for putting this positive post up here.  We all can't say it enough.  Your attitude is so important to recover so that's why this site has helped so many.  Once we find others in the same boat it pumps us up a wee bit and that's when the positive attitude starts to come back.  

It's a nice holiday gift to know you are recovering and not the other way around.  Every positive post I read here affects me.  I don't want to mention the other side.

Merry Merry, and a Happy Happy!

Tom E.

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    So glad you are doing well!

So glad you are doing well! My husband and I have only been a part of this family since October, and you give us hope that there is life on the other side. Thank you and happy holidays to you and yours. wishing for a better 2016!