almost done with my treatments

Gcook
Gcook Member Posts: 25

I do not post here often but do read alot of the posts and find them helpful. On new years eve I have my final radiation treatment. This will be the end of my treatment for my breast cancer. I had 5 months of chemotherapy, a lumpectomy and bilateral breast reduction and finally the radiation. It seems sort of symbolic that it all ends on new years eve. I am nervous about entering into the survivor mode. My life in the last 7 months has revolved around my cancer and treament. I have triple negative breast cancer and my oncologist stated that if I can remain cancer free for 2 years it will be a good sign. What a wild, strange trip its been.

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Well,  happy, happy, new

Well,  happy, happy, new year!!!!!  You are already in survivor mode- glad to hear all has been according to plan and you can now put this behind you.

Cheers!!!!

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    YEA!
    It will seem weird to

YEA!

It will seem weird to you, probably, not to have so many appointments. 

• irisheyes14
    irisheyes14 Member Posts: 42
    Well done.  You've got

Well done.  You've got through the worse part and now you can move forward and look back on it as a distant memory. Best wishes to you for a healthy happy future.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Well done.  You've got

Well done.  You've got through the worse part and now you can move forward and look back on it as a distant memory. Best wishes to you for a healthy happy future.

Breast cancer changes our Life --

you can see that finish line right around the corner -- steady pace and you will get there - i wish strength. And health for you as your end this part of your journey.

strength, courage and hope for a cure.

Vicki Sam

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had Breast cancer in

I had Breast cancer in 2008-the only date I rememer if JUNE 28th, 2008

MY LAST day of ratiation! THe rest is just a blurrr...but that date stands out in my head.!

Congrats....

Denise

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    survivorship mode

does your cancer center have a survivorship program? After my last radiation I had a Survivorship Morning where I was scheduled to meet 20" with each member of the team (surgeon, MO, RO, PT, social worker) and they went over the plan for the next 5 years, how often I'd be meeting with each of them, what I should be watching for and when to contact them vs when to call my primary care doctor. That's when I learned about the free Livestrong program that the YMCA has for cancer survivors to rebuild strength and stamina. It's a 3 month program, and was key to my returning to normal activities again. If you have a local Y, call and ask them if they have Livestrong.

It IS kind of a shock, after being so busy going to appointments and being so totally focused on the fight, to just be done, and now what? Be patient with yourself, eat healthy, get exercise and regain your strength, don't dwell on the bad stuff or the what if it returns; instead find something every day to enjoy and be grateful for.

• Gcook
    Gcook Member Posts: 25

survivorship mode

does your cancer center have a survivorship program? After my last radiation I had a Survivorship Morning where I was scheduled to meet 20" with each member of the team (surgeon, MO, RO, PT, social worker) and they went over the plan for the next 5 years, how often I'd be meeting with each of them, what I should be watching for and when to contact them vs when to call my primary care doctor. That's when I learned about the free Livestrong program that the YMCA has for cancer survivors to rebuild strength and stamina. It's a 3 month program, and was key to my returning to normal activities again. If you have a local Y, call and ask them if they have Livestrong.

It IS kind of a shock, after being so busy going to appointments and being so totally focused on the fight, to just be done, and now what? Be patient with yourself, eat healthy, get exercise and regain your strength, don't dwell on the bad stuff or the what if it returns; instead find something every day to enjoy and be grateful for.

Thank you for all you

Thank you for all you responses! yes I do meet with a survivor team member in February. It is odd to be done with all the treatments. I feel great. So we shall see. Moving forward.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    That is wonderful news!

That is wonderful news! Survivorship can be hard at first, but I agree with you about the symbolism of a new year. Make 2016 your new beginning! Hugs, Anna