Today I see my Rad s Onco UPDATE.S

camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
edited December 2015 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

1. Saw the dr.  Got the same. Can do Quadromet (whole body rads).  She didn't seem excited.  My son asked why she didn't sound toxxxo excited. She said a lot of paperwork with ins. To get it approved and a 50/50 chance that it will do anything.  Side effects are.low red and white cells, and red cells may not come back.  If it works, it could help with the pain, but will not extend my life span.

She  said maybe the chemo option would be better, I said about a 20% chance and again it too would be palliative.   So  am not rushing, but looks like hospice is the.next step.  We upped the med to 150 pat he's with diluted as the breakthrough.  There are not many options for stage 4 or any advanced cancers.  We need to get that 3%  of the monies for advanced breast cancer research upped.  All 3 said the smae, there is such limited options for advanced cancers.

Thanks everyone for the support.

Love Carol

Had scans last Monday and her nurse called me Tuesday early.... hoping she found something she can do for the hi p pain and leg going out, other than whole body rad s.  (Don't like the odds, kills red and white cells, if red cells don't come back, I don't live long), the deal was I would hear from her if she could see tumors pressing on my nerves where gamma knife (or direct spot, she calls it), could be done.  Trying to get pain under control then starting hospice.

Not even sure I am ready for that, however, my onco thinks it is now as all viable options have been exhausted.  Still waiting til Feb in case the FEW approves the trial for immune therapy, I have been watching and in touch with UCLA/Stanford. As they have been working b&b on it for years.  Every Jan/Feb the FDA has another hurdle as to why it can't be approved for brea as t cancer trials.  They approved it for Malonoma/lung/some Leukemia' s, it has been as effective on the lab rats for bc as for the other cancers.  I really believe that it won't happen with bc, as the pharmaceuticals would lose way too much money if they found a working treatment e payment for bc.  They also have not approved it for advanced prostate and those a r e the 2 types that bring in a lot of money annually for the drug companies.  I am really not too cynical, just frustrated when I am out of options and know there is one that has done so well in laboratories.  Testing has been active on this for over 20 years now, and trying to get it approved for trials for almost 10.  I am runningout of time here!

Feel free e e to board the bus!

Hugs,

Carol

Comments

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    hopping on the pink bus

Hopping on the pink bus with you, prayers for good results

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

hopping on the pink bus

Hopping on the pink bus with you, prayers for good results

I'm in

Let's go!! Let's go find out what can be done. 

I'll bring the drinks. We can call it hot chocolate, but you know it's gonna have a kick to it:)

xoxo

Victoria

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    aisling8 said:

I'm in

Let's go!! Let's go find out what can be done. 

I'll bring the drinks. We can call it hot chocolate, but you know it's gonna have a kick to it:)

xoxo

Victoria

I'm here, too!

Gladly boarding the pink bus with you, Carol.  Waiting for good news!  Hugs, Linda

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Yes!

I'm there!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Am I too late to catch the

Am I too late to catch the bus?

Denise

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Am I too late to catch the

Am I too late to catch the bus?

Denise

Carol - I am here with everyone

wishing upon the stars that you qualify for a clinical trial and soon!!  I feel terrible that you your options are few and limited. 

I continue to hold you close in my heart and thoughts- prayers are sent daily to heaven as well.

Love and adore you my HERO.

Vicki Sam

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Carol

You are in my thoughts this Christmas and I hope the new year brings you some new options. You are an inspiration to us all....Anna