MRI with contrast

Fayard
Fayard Member Posts: 438 Member

Hola,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the side effects of contrast in the body. I am trying to avoid to have mamograms, bcause of the radiation, but now my doctor ordered an MRI with contrast. Any advice?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Fayard, I am not familiar

Fayard, I am not familiar with a MRI with contract, only a CT, but maybe one of the other women have.  An MRI is 'magnetic' not radiation, isn't it?  Contrast is just dye I though.  You may have had the dye with a CT, which makes it feel like you are urinating, but I don't know if that if has the same effect.  Is this for a breast exam?  Again, maybe the other ladies have had it and I know I am interested in learning more just to have that information in my back pocket

• Hybridspirits
    Hybridspirits Member Posts: 209
    MRI with contrast

My 6 month check ups are always MRI to avoid the radiation associated with a CT Scan.  The contrast isn't the same as with a CT Scan and I have found no issues at all  When I had the contrast with a CT Scan I would feel lousy after and with the MRI nothing. Also when the contrast comes through it isn't the same feeling as with a CT Scan.  My dr likes MRI as there isn't any radiation with them

I actually have my 6 month check up one on 12/21

hope this helps

• Fayard

Fayard, I am not familiar

Fayard, I am not familiar with a MRI with contract, only a CT, but maybe one of the other women have.  An MRI is 'magnetic' not radiation, isn't it?  Contrast is just dye I though.  You may have had the dye with a CT, which makes it feel like you are urinating, but I don't know if that if has the same effect.  Is this for a breast exam?  Again, maybe the other ladies have had it and I know I am interested in learning more just to have that information in my back pocket

Hola,
    Thank you for you

Hola,

Thank you for you input! The contrast is Gadolinium, which is a metal. Yes, it is for a breat MRI. My oncologist told me that it is more accurate than a mammogran, because I have implants. I was reading the this contrast can couse kidney disease in the future. However, if the kidneys are already damaged then the contrast will definitely cause serious diseases.

Gracias!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

MRI with contrast

My 6 month check ups are always MRI to avoid the radiation associated with a CT Scan.  The contrast isn't the same as with a CT Scan and I have found no issues at all  When I had the contrast with a CT Scan I would feel lousy after and with the MRI nothing. Also when the contrast comes through it isn't the same feeling as with a CT Scan.  My dr likes MRI as there isn't any radiation with them

I actually have my 6 month check up one on 12/21

hope this helps

I have yearly breast MRIs

and yearly mammograms. So I have imaging every 6 months.  I  had a callback on my summer mammogram, so I had another one (it was ok they say, but I feel better knowing I have an MRI coming up).  Remember, it is not uncommon for a woman to have both breast and uterine cancers over the course of her lifetime.  Or at least that's what I was told by my gyn oncologist at a post op visit when I was whining about it all.

Are you planning on having breast MRIs instead of mammograms?  Since they both work differently, sometimes one picks up something the other doesn't.  I know it is more difficult to pick up changes with implants, so it seems an MRI is a good alternative.

sorry I can't answer your question about whether the contrast causes any physical damage.   I do my best to avoid things that might be harmful that I know I can avoid (like smoking and since breast cancer, I seldom consume any alcohol), but I think sometimes the benefit outweighs the risk.   I honestly believe that early detection can save lives rather than, for example, being able to palpate a lump in your breast because when it gets big enough to feel, it may have already metastasized (sure, some little ones metastasize early, too but it is rare).  I believe that mammogram I had in 2010 saved my life.  And I am obedient with getting the MRI because my oncologist orders it and I trust her. 

About CT's for breasts - I participated in a clinical trial in 2010 which was testing efficacy of CT's for picking up breast cancer (would a CT scan image something not seen on mammogram or MRI?).   I have no idea what the results of the study were or even if it's over.  I had one CT of my breasts and that was it.  I think the study was going to follow participants clinically, but I also have no idea for how long.    I have never heard of anyone having a breast CT so I'm thinking it wasn't useful.

Suzanne

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member

and yearly mammograms. So I have imaging every 6 months.  I  had a callback on my summer mammogram, so I had another one (it was ok they say, but I feel better knowing I have an MRI coming up).  Remember, it is not uncommon for a woman to have both breast and uterine cancers over the course of her lifetime.  Or at least that's what I was told by my gyn oncologist at a post op visit when I was whining about it all.

Are you planning on having breast MRIs instead of mammograms?  Since they both work differently, sometimes one picks up something the other doesn't.  I know it is more difficult to pick up changes with implants, so it seems an MRI is a good alternative.

sorry I can't answer your question about whether the contrast causes any physical damage.   I do my best to avoid things that might be harmful that I know I can avoid (like smoking and since breast cancer, I seldom consume any alcohol), but I think sometimes the benefit outweighs the risk.   I honestly believe that early detection can save lives rather than, for example, being able to palpate a lump in your breast because when it gets big enough to feel, it may have already metastasized (sure, some little ones metastasize early, too but it is rare).  I believe that mammogram I had in 2010 saved my life.  And I am obedient with getting the MRI because my oncologist orders it and I trust her. 

About CT's for breasts - I participated in a clinical trial in 2010 which was testing efficacy of CT's for picking up breast cancer (would a CT scan image something not seen on mammogram or MRI?).   I have no idea what the results of the study were or even if it's over.  I had one CT of my breasts and that was it.  I think the study was going to follow participants clinically, but I also have no idea for how long.    I have never heard of anyone having a breast CT so I'm thinking it wasn't useful.

Suzanne

Suzanne and all the ladies,

Suzanne and all the ladies, you all teach us all so much!!!!  I can't help but think how much we have all learned from eachother!  Thank you all

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Scans and Contrast

Like the others said, each contrast is different.   I have had contrast with CT, PET, PET/CT and MRI.   The only contrast that I don't like is the one with just the CT scan.  It gives that warm feeling and makes my heart beat fast (or so I think).   With the PET/CT with contrast, I didn't get that feeling.   Nor with any of the other scans.

My best to you!

Kathy

P.S.  Love your photo! Love that smile!

• HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    MRI with contrast is common in the UK

MRI with contrast is common in the UK.  Whenever I have an MRI on the pelvis, it is always with contrast called Gadolinium.  I've never had any side effects from it, although I was told that it can cause headache, nausea and dizziness.  It isn't usually used in patients who have reduced kidney function, although I have one kidney not working properly (the other one is powering away) and I have always been OK with it.  I think it is excreted through the kidneys and normally takes about 24 hours to leave the body.

Kindest wishes
    Helen

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514

There are many different contrasts, however gadolinium is most often used with MRI, It provides a clearer result.  I have had it 4 times with no ill effects. I was very vigilant though. I do have type 2 diabetes for about 2 years now, so very protective of my kidneys.

Gadolinium poses a problem if  You are diabetic  with abnormal kidney function, or non diabetic with compromised kidneys due to any other reasons ,If you have had kidney problems even in the past, gadolinium should be refused.Just say no with no second thought,That's my opinion based on cases I have seen and heard of.

better to be safe than sorry.

If you are having active kidney problems at the time of taking gadolinium most people  cannot drink- water -your way- out - of total kidney failure, regardless of what your doctor tells you , a sick kidney cannot process and evacuate  that contrast in time  to prevent further damage, You will be a dialisis patient, happens all the time  when a complete kidney function  test is not given ( just ) prior to  administration to rule out kidney problems.

With  healthy kidneys and a drink- water till -you- drop commitment for 2 days after, one  should be fine. Do your due diligience to self then go ahead with your MRI ,it is superior to any other method of scanning.

Nuff Love, Moli.

• Fayard

Suzanne

Hola Suzanne,
    Thank you so

Hola Suzanne,

Thank you so much for your input. Yes, I would lik to have MRIs instead of yearly mammograms. My oncologist said MRIs are better for women with breast implants.

I have a 6 month check up on Wednesday. I am going to bring up to my doctor the contrast fear I am having, and you are so right about catching anything on time.

Gracias!

• Fayard
    molimoli said:

There are many different contrasts, however gadolinium is most often used with MRI, It provides a clearer result.  I have had it 4 times with no ill effects. I was very vigilant though. I do have type 2 diabetes for about 2 years now, so very protective of my kidneys.

Gadolinium poses a problem if  You are diabetic  with abnormal kidney function, or non diabetic with compromised kidneys due to any other reasons ,If you have had kidney problems even in the past, gadolinium should be refused.Just say no with no second thought,That's my opinion based on cases I have seen and heard of.

better to be safe than sorry.

If you are having active kidney problems at the time of taking gadolinium most people  cannot drink- water -your way- out - of total kidney failure, regardless of what your doctor tells you , a sick kidney cannot process and evacuate  that contrast in time  to prevent further damage, You will be a dialisis patient, happens all the time  when a complete kidney function  test is not given ( just ) prior to  administration to rule out kidney problems.

With  healthy kidneys and a drink- water till -you- drop commitment for 2 days after, one  should be fine. Do your due diligience to self then go ahead with your MRI ,it is superior to any other method of scanning.

Nuff Love, Moli.

My Dear Ladies,
    Thank you so

My Dear Ladies,

Thank you so much for your contribution. You all are great!