Questions for plastic surgeon

Options
Teach76
Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member

I will be having an extended lumpectomy ( piece of pectoral muscle must be taken ) , and at the same time,  surgeon has told me that the plastic surgeon will close that breast and do a reduction on the other.  I am meeting with the plastic surgeon tomorrow.  This is a new realm of medical treatment for me.  Can anyone suggest some essential questions I should remember to ask?  I had Taxotere/cytoxan for 6 rounds to shrink the tumor away from the muscle.  I will also need to be cleared by an oncology cardiologist before surgery as I am having symptoms of congestive heart failure.

thanks,

Kathy

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Hello-no advice-but I am sure

Hello-no advice-but I am sure someone here will have some wonderful advice.

Denise

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I just had something similar done, but I did not need chemo or radiation as it turned out.  I had the extended lumpectomy (minor pectoral fascia also taken) and reduction and closure on the affected breast.  I decided to wait until after the expected radiation for the reduction on the other breast, because radiation would cause changes.  When the Oncotype DX test showed I didn't need radiation, I went ahead and had the other breast reduced last month.  I needed a scar revision on the first (affected) breast too.  They are still healing but they are going to match pretty darn close.  I've gone from a DDD+ cup sized to B so there was a lot of change. The bigger the reduction, the more likely you will have "dog ears" or flaps under your arms where the end of the incisions meet.  These need to be removed after all is healed, maybe 3 to 6 months later.  The one I had after the first lumpectomy and reduction kept catching on my bra. 

Ask these:  Should I wait until after radiation and chemo to have contralateral reduction done? Just know that you will be very lopsided during that span of time and it's hard to dress or wear a bra unless you stuff one side of it. 2- Will I retain nipple sensation? I don't have any anymore but it may come back over the next 6 months to a year the surgeon says.  Nipple stimulation was a great part of my sex life so that has changed drastically.  (unhappy face)  3- Will any of my treatments cause healing to be difficult or slow?

Good luck!

~~Connie~~

• Imnext
    Imnext Member Posts: 3
    Options
    crselby said:

I just had something similar done, but I did not need chemo or radiation as it turned out.  I had the extended lumpectomy (minor pectoral fascia also taken) and reduction and closure on the affected breast.  I decided to wait until after the expected radiation for the reduction on the other breast, because radiation would cause changes.  When the Oncotype DX test showed I didn't need radiation, I went ahead and had the other breast reduced last month.  I needed a scar revision on the first (affected) breast too.  They are still healing but they are going to match pretty darn close.  I've gone from a DDD+ cup sized to B so there was a lot of change. The bigger the reduction, the more likely you will have "dog ears" or flaps under your arms where the end of the incisions meet.  These need to be removed after all is healed, maybe 3 to 6 months later.  The one I had after the first lumpectomy and reduction kept catching on my bra. 

Ask these:  Should I wait until after radiation and chemo to have contralateral reduction done? Just know that you will be very lopsided during that span of time and it's hard to dress or wear a bra unless you stuff one side of it. 2- Will I retain nipple sensation? I don't have any anymore but it may come back over the next 6 months to a year the surgeon says.  Nipple stimulation was a great part of my sex life so that has changed drastically.  (unhappy face)  3- Will any of my treatments cause healing to be difficult or slow?

Good luck!

~~Connie~~

Thanks for the info crselby, it's helped me to know how you made out and makes me think about my upcoming surgery.   I am expected to have radiation after my lumpectomy however, my plastic surgeon wants to do my reduction at the sametime as my lumpectomy.  So that I only need to be under anesthesa once.  He did indicate that there was a chance that the nipple may or may not take during the radiation period, but that there were things he could do such as replacing it with a new one from excess skin or if it's a total rejection tatooing one on.  Not my choice by far.  My question, has anyone else had a reduction at the sametime as their surgery? And if so would you have done anything differently?

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options

My surgeries will be done at the same time, too.  Breast surgeon said she will have the plastic surgeon leave the lumpectomy breast slightly larger to accomodate shrinkage during radiation ( no question about not having rad since the tumor touched the pectoral wall).  

I just got used to the routine of chemo every 3 weeks, now I am facing the unknown again:(

thanks for advice; it seems there are several of us around this stage of treatment.  I have read former posts, but several years later, I know techniques and treatment plans have evolved, and it is good to share what others are experiencing now as well.