The waiting game

CKane
CKane Member Posts: 2

Hello all, 

I'm new to this site. I had thyroid cancer last year. (Complete thyroidectomy and radiation). 

I've always had an issue with ovarian cysts. I had been told that it was a normal part of being a woman so I never really gave it much thought. I was just going to be "one of those" women who had issues. 

A few weeks ago, I woke with a pretty sharp pain in my lower left side. On top of previously having cancer, I've also been diagnosed with RA and occasionally when my levels are off, I'll go full "hypo". I figured the pains had something to do with my levels being off and attempted to go about my day. But it just got worse, and worse, and worse and then finally, it got so bad that I literally passed out for a moment. The hubs said I went completely pale (which is a feat for me because I'm naturally ghost white as it is). Once I woke up, I threw up. 

Called my primary to attempt to make an appointment and instead was directed to the ER. So off I go to the E.R. Several hours, an IV, and a scan or two later and I'm sent home with the instructions to follow up with my gyn as soon as possible and that I had what was most likely "a ruptured ovarian cyst" but they couldn't find any fluid from the rupture. 

Okay fine. But when the doctor was discharging me, he asked if I was done having children. I was just ready to be done at the time and to go home so it wasn't until later that struck me as an odd thing to say to a 32 year old woman. (Who was holding her 2 and 4 year olds)

I followed up with my gyn. Had a few more scans and was sent home to wait on the results. Results came back. Essentially, my left ovary is mostly a complex cyst and my right has two very large simple cysts. When I went back to my gyn, he immediately began to go over surgery options and was sent to have my CA125 done. 

I'll have those results on Monday. 

Right now, given my previous history with cancer, he's a bit concerned that my left ovary is cancerous. He'd like to get aggressive and not only remove my left, but my right one as well and my uterus. His explanation was that he was afraid that if I left my right one in, that I would be right back to where I am now in 3 weeks, months, or years and having to have a repeat surgery. 

I don't know what to do. Do I follow his advice, do I get aggressive and put myself into surgical menopause or do I wait it out and see what happens to my right after my left is removed? 

The waiting is terrible. What should I do? Should I wait it out and keep my right so I don't have to do the whole hormone replace therapy thing? Should I get aggressive? Given my ultrasoun results and my previous history, what is the likelyhood that this is ovarian cancer? 

I had been having a few other problems as of late as well. I am urinating more often, intercourse has been a bit painful, I'm quite bloated... but these were things I could all chalk up to the thyroid issues or the RA. 

Thanks so much, sorry about the novella. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    CKane, I am so sorry to hear

CKane, I am so sorry to hear what has been going on for you.  I bet all the ladies here have heard, "with your history", meaning having had or have cancer, we are at a higher risk of additional cancers.  

I would hope your doctor, knowing what he/she knows about you, will run all tests and talk to you about your options.  You need to make decisions about what is best for you and your family, but if you have doubts get a second, or third, opinion.  

The women on they gyn boards are great, and they inspire me with how they persevere, they may have had a similar situation and can tell your their experience.  

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.

• Missjessicalyn
    Missjessicalyn Member Posts: 10
    I had a similar situation.

I had a similar situation. Ruptured cyst that they thought might be either a simple cyst or a borderline tumor. They went in laparoscopically with the understanding that they would remove the cyst and the one affected ovary, get the pathology, and only if it came back cancer do the full hysterectomy land all the rest of it. It was cancer. But they don't necessarily have to remove everything. They can decide once they go in and see what's there.

• Lisa 00
    Lisa 00 Member Posts: 134 Member
    Hello CKane, sorry to meet

Hello CKane, sorry to meet under such circumstances. 

When I finally got in for a transvaginal ultrasound, the big finding was a complex cyst on the left ovary.  The tech sent me directly (immediately) to my gyno's office where she set in motion my having the hysterectomy I was after.  I could tell that they all knew it was cancer.  When I had everything removed, everything had cancer.  The uterus, cervix and both ovaries. 

The docs won't really know if you have cancer in the second ovary unless they take it out, cut it up and view it under the microscope.  If I were you, I wouldn't mess around and I'd get everything removed now.  You don't really want to mess around with cancer.  Just look at the stories these lovely women have on this board.  Be proactive.  You have two young children who need you.  That's my advice.  Best wishes to you! 

Lisa

• CKane
    CKane Member Posts: 2
    Well....

I appreciate all of the comments. 

I'm not really sure what's going on at the moment. 

I got a phone call from my doctors office this morning. I had an appointment scheduled for this afternoon but they went ahead and cancelled it in order to write me a referral to see another gyno. When I spoke to my doctor, he said that it was because my CA125 was slightly elevated and this new gyno would review everything and probably set me up for a biopsy. I don't understand why I'm having to see a different gyno after this one had already agreed to remove my ovary and wanted to be proactive in the first place. 

• Lisa 00
    Lisa 00 Member Posts: 134 Member
    I'm sorry for the recent

I'm sorry for the recent confusing development.  Some gyno's are gynecologic oncologists is the only thing I can think of if they sent you to another one.  The good news is that they are taking everything seriously and keeping things moving!