I need a job!!!!

Options
Talo
Talo Member Posts: 5

im so depressed and need support. People around me just tell me how lucky I am to have survived breast cancer blah blah blah. I can't feel happy about being cancer free because I'm not sure it was worth it. I had been unemployed for almost a year when I was diagnosed. I have gone through all of my savings/retirement and unemployment benefits. I have $0 income. i am losing my home because I haven't been able to make house payments. I am getting ready to start radiation in a couple of weeks and I get Herceptin treatments every 3 weeks through May. I am likely going to have to move in with my 75 yr old mother...I'm a 55 yr old college graduate that had a career that I loved. I apply for jobs every day and i had more interviews than I can count. I have been 1 of the final 2 or 3 candidates 6-7 times and I've "known someone" at least that many times and still NOTHING. Was it worth it to survive cancer if I can't even support myself. I now get food stamps and have to go to charitable organizations to keep the power on until I am physically kicked out of my house. 2 weeks ago I went to an interview for a job that I really wanted. I was nervous before trying to decide if I should go with a wig or my growing back hair. I decided to go natural. My hair is still really short but my scalp is covered. The interview went very well. I expected to get the call for a 2nd interview but the call never came. 

i apologize for my rambling but I have no one that I can talk to about all of my issues.  Any advice is appreciated. Maybe this doesn't even belong on this board. If not, let me know and will delete and take my issues elsewhere.  

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to read your

I am so sorry to read your story and what you are going through. I am sure you have looked for support groups, in your area?!

This is a great place to rant, vent and look for advice.

My heart goes out to you-hugs and pixie dust on the way.

NO advice-just good thoughts and Pray a job comes along-that will turn your life around.

Yes, I get people , as you said "blah blah blah" They have not walked in your shoes-so they are clue-less.

best of luck,

Denise

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Keep trying

Keep trying. I read somewhere that the job market is pretty good now.

There are agencies that can help with keeping your house. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0187-when-paying-mortgage-struggle

You can also contact CSN. At the top to the right is Contact CSN. 

Don't give up.  Hang in there.

• Talo
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Keep trying

Keep trying. I read somewhere that the job market is pretty good now.

There are agencies that can help with keeping your house. http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0187-when-paying-mortgage-struggle

You can also contact CSN. At the top to the right is Contact CSN. 

Don't give up.  Hang in there.

Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks for trying to help. There is no saving my home without a way to pay the payments. I've accepted the loss of my home but I'm having difficulty accepting the idea of moving in with my mother. I have no means to get a place of my own without a job. There are no good answers for me. 

• disneyfan2008
    Options
    Talo said:

Thanks for trying to help. There is no saving my home without a way to pay the payments. I've accepted the loss of my home but I'm having difficulty accepting the idea of moving in with my mother. I have no means to get a place of my own without a job. There are no good answers for me. 

hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wink

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Talo said:

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling

I think I know a tiny bit of what you are going thru because my husband and I had to close down our business, partly due to all the expenses my illness caused and all the while trying to keep our son in college. It keeps me awake at night, the thought of telling him he has to come home. It can be very hard to deal with cancer when the financial aspect is out of control. I think you should move in with your mother, but consider it temporary. You could be of help to her since she is a bit older now, maybe do some chores she finds difficult. Of course, you will keep looking for a job and surely you will get hired and then be able to afford a small apartment. Personally, I think it is fine that you tell us these problems. Cancer affects every aspect of our lives after all. Hugs, Anna

• Talo
    Options
    button2 said:

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling

I think I know a tiny bit of what you are going thru because my husband and I had to close down our business, partly due to all the expenses my illness caused and all the while trying to keep our son in college. It keeps me awake at night, the thought of telling him he has to come home. It can be very hard to deal with cancer when the financial aspect is out of control. I think you should move in with your mother, but consider it temporary. You could be of help to her since she is a bit older now, maybe do some chores she finds difficult. Of course, you will keep looking for a job and surely you will get hired and then be able to afford a small apartment. Personally, I think it is fine that you tell us these problems. Cancer affects every aspect of our lives after all. Hugs, Anna

Thank you Anna. That is my

Thank you Anna. That is my plan as of right now. I will stay in my home for as long as possible. The lawyer tells me I should be able to stay until Feb or March. Who knows, maybe I will get a job before then. I may have to leave sooner if I can't get assistance to pay for the gas/electricity to stay on. It is such a dehumanizing situation. I feel like I can't participate in life in the simplest ways. Christmas? So what. Someone told me I should get in my car every day and just go for a ride. Can't. I have to save every drop of gas to get to and from doctor's appointments, radiation, and Herceptin treatments. I feel isolated from the rest of society. I feel guilty for whining and complaining. 

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Talo said:

Thank you Anna. That is my

Thank you Anna. That is my plan as of right now. I will stay in my home for as long as possible. The lawyer tells me I should be able to stay until Feb or March. Who knows, maybe I will get a job before then. I may have to leave sooner if I can't get assistance to pay for the gas/electricity to stay on. It is such a dehumanizing situation. I feel like I can't participate in life in the simplest ways. Christmas? So what. Someone told me I should get in my car every day and just go for a ride. Can't. I have to save every drop of gas to get to and from doctor's appointments, radiation, and Herceptin treatments. I feel isolated from the rest of society. I feel guilty for whining and complaining. 

Don't feel bad for

Don't feel bad for complaining, that's what this board is for! It is hard for people with steady jobs to understand financial difficulty and that is why people say things like "Go for a car ride". I save as much gas as I can too. Maybe you could go for a daily walk? I started walking to help with my cancer and found I love it. I didn't have money (or the desire really) to join a gym, and I found out that getting outside every day is very therapeutic and virtually free (except for the shoes!) I even do a lot of my shopping on foot now. Christmas can get depressing so stay away from places like malls where people are spending and try to go to a free concert or maybe church service. Feel free to use the personal message option on this site and drop me a line any time you like. I check in most days, take care for now, Anna

• Talo
    Options
    button2 said:

Don't feel bad for

Don't feel bad for complaining, that's what this board is for! It is hard for people with steady jobs to understand financial difficulty and that is why people say things like "Go for a car ride". I save as much gas as I can too. Maybe you could go for a daily walk? I started walking to help with my cancer and found I love it. I didn't have money (or the desire really) to join a gym, and I found out that getting outside every day is very therapeutic and virtually free (except for the shoes!) I even do a lot of my shopping on foot now. Christmas can get depressing so stay away from places like malls where people are spending and try to go to a free concert or maybe church service. Feel free to use the personal message option on this site and drop me a line any time you like. I check in most days, take care for now, Anna

I had an encouraging phone

I had an encouraging phone interview this morning. Now to wait and see if they call back for a face to face. my oncologists office called me today.  My blood count is only 7.7 even after an iron infusion and blood transfusion 3 weeks ago. I haven't had chemo since Sept. They can't figure out why im losing blood so fast and can't build it up. I had a blood transfusion following each chemo treatment and 2 since chemo For a total of 8 transfusions and 16 units of blood. Insee the doctor tomorrow and will get my Herceptin. How am I even going to work with all this going on? 

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    Talo said:

I had an encouraging phone

I had an encouraging phone interview this morning. Now to wait and see if they call back for a face to face. my oncologists office called me today.  My blood count is only 7.7 even after an iron infusion and blood transfusion 3 weeks ago. I haven't had chemo since Sept. They can't figure out why im losing blood so fast and can't build it up. I had a blood transfusion following each chemo treatment and 2 since chemo For a total of 8 transfusions and 16 units of blood. Insee the doctor tomorrow and will get my Herceptin. How am I even going to work with all this going on? 

Wishing you the very best

I'm so sorry about your circumstances and I'm adding my hopes and prayers that things fall into place for you soon.  Wish I had an answer for you.  One day at a time . . .

Suzanne

• disneyfan2008
    Options
    I am checking back in to see

I am checking back in to see how things are going for you?!?!?

Denise

• LouisaP
    LouisaP Member Posts: 62
    Options

I am checking back in to see

I am checking back in to see how things are going for you?!?!?

Denise

So sorry. I was in the same

So sorry. I was in the same situation while I was waiting for disability to approve me, for a different problem. It took 2 years. inheritence & daughters inheritence. She moved in with me. Not ideal but were trying. She was pregnant with my now 4 year old grandson. Luckily our electricity stayed on because we had a newborn at home. But I did a lot of begging at the county but didn't qualify. Do you have a nurse navigator or social worker that works with the breast center or hospital? My nurse navigator got forms from different breast cancer organizations that help low income women. I was able to $500.00 for tires & car work so I could drive to chemo. Or do web search. Fill out everything. You don't know where you'll qualify. Once you feel better, your subconcious will send out more positive feelings out to the job interviewers. You'll get a job. Look how close you've been. You just need that little extra oomph. Good luck.