Possible recurrence of Ovarian Cancer

Options
OldTown
OldTown Member Posts: 1

I was treated for Ovarian cancer 12 years ago, breast cancer 10 years ago, and skin cancer 2 years ago.  Last week my doc found a mass in the pelvic area and I'm terrified.  I'm 66 years old and I don't think I have the emotional strength to go through more chemo and surgery.  Chat rooms were extremely helpful while I was on chemo for my other cancers and I'm hoping for some words of wisdom to get me through this one. Best wishes to everyone. 

Comments

641242 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Possible recurrence of ovarian cancer

Hi there OVCA sister. I was dx with Stage lllc OVCA in 2002. I was 52. I had a recurrence in 2013.  I too was terrified and here it is, almost 2016 and once again I am N.E.D.!!!!! Comparatively speaking it was much easier. We have better treatment/better drugs and so much more is known!

By the way, I get second opinions even though I love and respect my oncologist and my dermatologist.  

(I have had melanoma in situ and just yesterday was notified that I have a large and likely deep, squamous cell carcinoma)

Hang in there; even at our ages we are stronger than we think!

I remind myself to breathe deeply and I listen to meditation.

Whatever you decide will be the right decision for you.

Keep in touch.

• jay_rogers
    jay_rogers Member Posts: 14
    Options
    A variety of factors

A variety of factors ultimately influence a patient’s decision to receive second-line treatment of ovarian cancer. Recurrent or persistent ovarian cancer may be detected by several methods. Main treatments for overian cancer is surgery and first-line chemotherapy and The availability and effectiveness of additional treatment depends on the kind of chemotherapy previously administered, the duration since last treatment and the extent of recurrent cancer.

• scatsm
    scatsm Member Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Have you had genetic testing?

With those 3 cancers, it would be important to check on your BRCA mutation status. That will inform your oncologist on what treatments to suggest.

Recurrence is not demise...there are so many of us who have survived a long timie with multiple recurrences. I am 3C since 2011...BRCA 2 positive and just now starting Parp inhibitors for a 3rd recurrence.

Hang in there, you can do it!

Susan