Good news but concern

Options
Teach76
Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
edited December 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

Saw the surgeon yesterday.  Had Neoadjuvant chemo to pull tumor strands away from pectoral muscle.  Surgeon said MRI does not show cancer cells, but physical exam and ultrasound show mass.  Maybe scar tissue, won't know until it is out and tested.  Two lymph. nodes to be pulled as well.  Extended lumpectomy is ok, but a piece of the muscle must be removed.

Concern- I have had leg swelling and shortness of breath since round 4(0f 6).  I now need to see an oncology cardiologist to be cleared for surgery.  No history of heart issues.  Surgeon seemed annoyed that I had not already seen the cardio.  Frustrating that you put your life in the doctor's hands, keep telling them about symptoms and keep hearing, " in the literature it states Taxotere can cause swelling."

i am thankful the lumpectomy can be done, but worried heart issues may delay it.  Can not schedule until January.

thanks for listening!

Kathy

Comments

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    When I did chemo, the last

When I did chemo, the last few weeks were interesting.  Not sure if it was the cumulation of ACT or the effects of the taxol.  It was hard to take deep breaths and not cough.  If I tried to "catch my breath," I had coughing spells.  You know how it is when you really get coughing -- you take deep breaths.  I had to force myself not to.  I had to pace myself so that where I walked, I was not out of breath OR the coughing would resume.   It was "bad" only twice -- each time about 10 days after an infusion.  What helped me was my DR having me take an allergy pill.  Amazing!  The breathing issues, with a light cough, quit rather soon after I finished chemo.  The third time it could have happened, after my final infusion, I started taking the allergy pill for just in case.  I started it the day before I may have begun.  I had no problems at all that time.

Not sure this helps you, but maybe it allows you to see that you can get through it.

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options

When I did chemo, the last

When I did chemo, the last few weeks were interesting.  Not sure if it was the cumulation of ACT or the effects of the taxol.  It was hard to take deep breaths and not cough.  If I tried to "catch my breath," I had coughing spells.  You know how it is when you really get coughing -- you take deep breaths.  I had to force myself not to.  I had to pace myself so that where I walked, I was not out of breath OR the coughing would resume.   It was "bad" only twice -- each time about 10 days after an infusion.  What helped me was my DR having me take an allergy pill.  Amazing!  The breathing issues, with a light cough, quit rather soon after I finished chemo.  The third time it could have happened, after my final infusion, I started taking the allergy pill for just in case.  I started it the day before I may have begun.  I had no problems at all that time.

Not sure this helps you, but maybe it allows you to see that you can get through it.

thanks, I took Claritin for

thanks, I took Claritin for 10 days after each infusion.  I am now 4 weeks beyond my last treatment.  Usually by day 14 my side effects would subside.  This swelling in my legs just has me baffled.  If it occurred after long standing or walking, I would understand, but I wake up with it, and sometimes wake up in the middle of the  night because legs are so uncomfortable.

Oncology cardiologist's first appointment is December 24th!  So now wait 3 more weeks.  I am going to stop by the office to ask for paperwork so I can take my time filling it out.  I will also ask them to call me if there is a cancellation before.  I don't want to end up in the ER because of breathing or chest pain( thankfully no pain experienced yet.)

Kathy