Insurance solution? Maybe....

Well, after an hour of updating our information on the Marketplace and seeing premiums that were outrageous...I had to walk away for a few days.  I now have logged in and found a policy that is about $50 more a month than what we are paying now.  Is it comparable like they say?  No.  Is it worth having "something"?  I think yes.  We are going to go ahead and sign up for it because honestly, I am very afraid to be without any insurance again.  It basically won't cover any appointments or tests until I pay $4500 out of pocket, but then it covers 90%.  My current plan doesn't cover my appointments much anyway (like $15 a visit!).  While I do feel SOMEWHAT relieved to have insuance in place for 2016, I am thoroughly disgusted by the options available.  

Comments

  • Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Solution

    Believe it or not, my husband's employer provides us insurance, and as secondary I have medicare~~the kicker with Bill's insurance is the $5,000.00 ,each ,deductible...since my surgery and treatment in 2011, we have never once met that.

    I'm happy we have insurance, because, you never know when another astronomic health issue will appear. At the same time, I'm disgusted at the costs to stay covered and not  meet their dedctible, year after year.

     

     

     

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Grandmax4 said:

    Solution

    Believe it or not, my husband's employer provides us insurance, and as secondary I have medicare~~the kicker with Bill's insurance is the $5,000.00 ,each ,deductible...since my surgery and treatment in 2011, we have never once met that.

    I'm happy we have insurance, because, you never know when another astronomic health issue will appear. At the same time, I'm disgusted at the costs to stay covered and not  meet their dedctible, year after year.

     

     

     

    Its a Joke

    I tell you this health insurance is a joke and the people who passed it in Washington should be force to buy it. If it is good enough for us it should be good enough for Congress and Obama  

    Tim

  • hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Hondo said:

    Its a Joke

    I tell you this health insurance is a joke and the people who passed it in Washington should be force to buy it. If it is good enough for us it should be good enough for Congress and Obama  

    Tim

    Out of pocket

    I get frustrated that copays and deductibles are not part of the out of pocket maximum.

  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 726 Member
    Hondo said:

    Its a Joke

    I tell you this health insurance is a joke and the people who passed it in Washington should be force to buy it. If it is good enough for us it should be good enough for Congress and Obama  

    Tim

    So True

    You are so very right Tim.  Those who passed this unaffordable act should be forced to live by it.  But nooooo, they have their own special insurance where the out of pocket is minimal.  

     

    Every year in my memory of life, my employer provided insurance has raised their price and lowered their coverage.  Every single year.  Will it ever stop?  Looking at my ENT bill, I paid a $45 copay and BCBS paid $48, for a grand total of $93.00.  So basically half is paid by the member.  Hospital, that's different, but still $7,000 out of pocket per year.  And I'm happy to have it.  The government pays about $1,000 per month and I pay $350.  Still cheap compared to what you're facing.  And my insurance is considered to be the cadillac of them all, so they say.

     

    Sorry you can't find an affordable one Tim.  It is shameful what they did to you and all the other Americans.

     

    Shame, shame, shame.

     

    Tom

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Christian Medi-Share

           It is not insurance like I am use to having but it is better than having nothing. This plan is about Christians men and women coming together to help pay other fellow Christians medical bills. From the sound of it and from what I seen so far it looks to be pretty good, but has one bad thing it does not pay for any prescription medicine. Anyway we have applied for it and are waiting to hear back from them on being accepted. Please keep me in your prayers as the last group would not touch me with a Ten-foot pole. The cost is reasonable and my out of pocket is better then what I now have that will end come December 31th. It has been unreal the last few months trying to find a plan that we could afford, my wife has just about pulled all of her hair out and was fixing to start on my head if something did not come up soon. God bless you all, I will let you know as soon as we hear from them.

     

    Tim    

  • SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Insurance

    High deductibles and out of pockets are the wave of the future.  We end up paying one way or another.  If you want really low deductibles and out of pocket expenses, those policies are few and far between.  But if you do find one, you probably would be paying a much higher monthly premium.

    I currently have a $1500 deductible and a $4500 max out of pocket where anything between the 2 they pay 80% of the claim and I'm responsible to for the other 20%.

    I recently did 38 Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments, implant surgery, doctors, etc. for a total of over $ 135,000.  I'm glad my portion is limited to $ 4500 and now I have to have a permanent denture made which I'm hoping will be covered by the insurance also.  I'm going to try and get it covered under the 2015 year as it is a continuation of treatment that was started.  Otherwise it might cost me another $ 4500 for this to be made.  But then I've been researching the costs of these types of devices and they range from $ 15000 - $ 45000, so $ 4500 isn't terrible if I do have to pay.

  • the_wife
    the_wife Member Posts: 184
    Hondo said:

    Christian Medi-Share

           It is not insurance like I am use to having but it is better than having nothing. This plan is about Christians men and women coming together to help pay other fellow Christians medical bills. From the sound of it and from what I seen so far it looks to be pretty good, but has one bad thing it does not pay for any prescription medicine. Anyway we have applied for it and are waiting to hear back from them on being accepted. Please keep me in your prayers as the last group would not touch me with a Ten-foot pole. The cost is reasonable and my out of pocket is better then what I now have that will end come December 31th. It has been unreal the last few months trying to find a plan that we could afford, my wife has just about pulled all of her hair out and was fixing to start on my head if something did not come up soon. God bless you all, I will let you know as soon as we hear from them.

     

    Tim    

    Insurance

    Tim,

    How did you come out with the insurance thing? Maybe I missed a post. I have a friend who doesn't have insurance and recently was diagnosed with a recurrence of breast cancer. Would you mind passing on the contact information for that organization? 

    Thank you!

  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    the_wife said:

    Insurance

    Tim,

    How did you come out with the insurance thing? Maybe I missed a post. I have a friend who doesn't have insurance and recently was diagnosed with a recurrence of breast cancer. Would you mind passing on the contact information for that organization? 

    Thank you!

    Christian Med-share

    We got accepted on the Christian Med-share program, it works a little difference then insurance but it is better than having nothing. This should work until next year when I will be able to go on Medicare. The health insurance they wanted to give me would have cost me $1,900.00 a month with $7,500 out of pocket before they pay anything. If I could afford that I could pay my home off in two years. But God is watching over us with other Christians who will be helping if needed.

     

    Thanks

    Tim