subpleural nodule

Margeaux
Margeaux Member Posts: 84

I'm 5 yrs. out.  While I haven't posted in a while, I read posts from time to time.  My old and good oncologist left my plan and I had to find another doc.  She is young, caring, i like her very much.  While discussing chronic under arm pain caused by nerve damage from lymph node removal (switch back and forth between Gabapentin and Lyrica), she suggested another PET Scan to rule out any problems under the arm.  Everything was ok in that area, however the scan showed a

6 mm right upper lobe subpleural nodule

There were other findings that did not give her too much concern.  She thought some may be related to chronic allergies and possibly sinus infections, she suggested some anti-biotics and Flonase.  My next appointment with her is mid January, she will then order a CT Scan. I'm so scared, this hit me like a ton of bricks.  My diagnosis was IDC Stage IIB, HER+.  I had chemo, lumpectomy, radiation.  3 months after chemo the mammogram was already clear, lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed showed no cancer.  All mammograms were negative, all scans negative, prognosis excellent. 

When I walked out of the oncologist's office everyone wished me a Merry Christmas, yeah right!

Margeaux

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Subpleural Lung Nodule

I can only imagine how scared you must be. We all look forward to reaching the magic 5 year mark and somehow feel nearly invincible if we get there. Now a wrench has been thrown into the works.

Apparently lung nodules are not uncommon. Non-cancerous nodules are often caused by previous infection and do not require any treatment. You mentioned chronic allergies and sinus infections (but not lung infections). Nodules are usually 5mm - 30mm so yours is certainly on the lower end. The larger nodules (ie. 30mm) are more likely to be cancerous than the smaller nodules. More imaging is definitely in order but I question why the CT wouldn't even be ordered until January. Depending on your insurance and availability of CT in your community your wait could be even more prolonged. I would be requesting a MUCH sooner imaging appt whether it be PET, CT or PET/CT, or MRI. Do you have any previous imaging studies to which you can compare the upcoming imaging? It is always important to note if the size, shape or location has changed over a given period of time. A mammogram is a good diagnostic tool but it does not include any views of the lungs and that is the location of your nodule. 

In the meantime try not to make yourself crazy over this. Easier said than done, right? Let us know if you have any luck in getting an earlier appointment. Perhaps most importantly, have a merry Xmas.

• Margeaux

Subpleural Lung Nodule

I can only imagine how scared you must be. We all look forward to reaching the magic 5 year mark and somehow feel nearly invincible if we get there. Now a wrench has been thrown into the works.

Apparently lung nodules are not uncommon. Non-cancerous nodules are often caused by previous infection and do not require any treatment. You mentioned chronic allergies and sinus infections (but not lung infections). Nodules are usually 5mm - 30mm so yours is certainly on the lower end. The larger nodules (ie. 30mm) are more likely to be cancerous than the smaller nodules. More imaging is definitely in order but I question why the CT wouldn't even be ordered until January. Depending on your insurance and availability of CT in your community your wait could be even more prolonged. I would be requesting a MUCH sooner imaging appt whether it be PET, CT or PET/CT, or MRI. Do you have any previous imaging studies to which you can compare the upcoming imaging? It is always important to note if the size, shape or location has changed over a given period of time. A mammogram is a good diagnostic tool but it does not include any views of the lungs and that is the location of your nodule. 

In the meantime try not to make yourself crazy over this. Easier said than done, right? Let us know if you have any luck in getting an earlier appointment. Perhaps most importantly, have a merry Xmas.

Sub pleural node

Thanks so much for your comments.  I did have a chest x-ray on the same day.  After the PET scan, having fasted quite a while and having to walk some distance to the car I blacked out in the parking garage.  Next thing I see a white coat bending over me telling me its bad for the hospital's reputation  to have a patient lying on the floor of their garage.  Over my protest they wheeled me to the ER,  one of the things done was a chest x-ray, lungs clear.  The oncologist must have heard you though, she ordered a CT scan for next Monday.  On the PET scan it said "low-grade mediastinal and bilateral hilar lymph nodes are felt likely to represent chronic infections/inflammatory process", apparently these are lymph nodes in the chest (?).  My equally old friend (I'm 82) quipped "we have bumps and knots all over at that age and that's why I hate to have tests, they'll always find something".  I thought after 5 yrs and such excellent response a PET is no longer needed.  Mind, she ordered it only to check under arm to make sure the pain was not caused by anything else.  There was no other reason for it.  The under arm area is clear.  Today I agonized over my Medicare HMO, to switch or not to switch, I'm running out of time.  There is one plan that covers my original oncologist, but not my internist whose patient I have been for a number of years and who has gone far beyond the call of duty to look after me.  Husband shrugs his shoulders, no help there. 

Let you know what transpires on Monday.

Thanks again, Margeaux

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Margeaux said:

Sub pleural node

Thanks so much for your comments.  I did have a chest x-ray on the same day.  After the PET scan, having fasted quite a while and having to walk some distance to the car I blacked out in the parking garage.  Next thing I see a white coat bending over me telling me its bad for the hospital's reputation  to have a patient lying on the floor of their garage.  Over my protest they wheeled me to the ER,  one of the things done was a chest x-ray, lungs clear.  The oncologist must have heard you though, she ordered a CT scan for next Monday.  On the PET scan it said "low-grade mediastinal and bilateral hilar lymph nodes are felt likely to represent chronic infections/inflammatory process", apparently these are lymph nodes in the chest (?).  My equally old friend (I'm 82) quipped "we have bumps and knots all over at that age and that's why I hate to have tests, they'll always find something".  I thought after 5 yrs and such excellent response a PET is no longer needed.  Mind, she ordered it only to check under arm to make sure the pain was not caused by anything else.  There was no other reason for it.  The under arm area is clear.  Today I agonized over my Medicare HMO, to switch or not to switch, I'm running out of time.  There is one plan that covers my original oncologist, but not my internist whose patient I have been for a number of years and who has gone far beyond the call of duty to look after me.  Husband shrugs his shoulders, no help there. 

Let you know what transpires on Monday.

Thanks again, Margeaux

Thank you for the update - Margeaux

Waiting with you for results on Monday ...   And good luck reviewing, and selecting a health insurance - stressful times for you, so I am sending magic  sprinkles your way.

Vicki Sam

• Margeaux

Subpleural Lung Nodule

subpleural nodule after 5 yrs. NED for BC

Unfortunately the CT scan never took place.  3 techs worked over the veins in my right arm trying to get a canule inserted thru a needle.  Although they used the smalles possible, both needle and canule. it did not go into my vein and I wouldn't let them touch the left arm.  So, I have a new date next Wednesday with instructions to drink massive amounts of water 2 days prior.  If that does not work I'm going to have them do a CT scan without contrast. 

I did change to a different HMO which accepts my previous oncologist, but haven't received formal acceptance yet, I'll call tomorrow to see how that goes.

Margeaux

• Margeaux
    VickiSam said:

Thank you for the update - Margeaux

Waiting with you for results on Monday ...   And good luck reviewing, and selecting a health insurance - stressful times for you, so I am sending magic  sprinkles your way.

Vicki Sam

subpleural nodule after 5 yrs NED

Finally got my CT Scan done and picked up the results today at the Imaging Center without waiting for an appt. with the doc.  Liver - no masses seen; Lung - no suspicious pulmonary nodules identified!  What a relief! 

I lived through 3 months of abject terror only another cancer survivor can understand.  The whole thing was a nightmare, first round with PET scan the outfit the insurance sent me to did not notify me that their main location doesn't do PET scans, I had to drive to the suburbs.  Exiting the freeway debris in the one lane exit sliced the bottom of my car open, my co-pay was $1000.  After fighting tooth and claw with the insurance co. I was sent to the close by hospital, where I promptly fainted in the parking garage and ended up in the ER.  This PET scan showed the 6 mm subnodule and a shadow on the liver.  CT scan worked on the 2nd try and is negative.  May 2014 my oncologist left my insurance plan which forced me to find another one. End of 2012 my oncologist said that unless contra-indicated no further PET scans are needed.  I have the feeling I went thru all that unnecessarily.  Since I'm Medicare I changed plans and will be back with my oncologist next year, so glad!

Church service for sure this Christmas Eve!

Margeaux