Breast surgery today!!!

Options

Been waiting for a long time for this.   Having double masectomy with reconstruction.  Expanders put in.  I am so nervous I feel like I am going to throw up.  Anything I can due to help me calm down.  I do yoga, i tried breathing. Still so nervous.  I think I am afraid of the pain afterwards and also hoping I don't die!  I know that sounds odd, but I am afraid of that.  Is that common thing?

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I felt the same way

For some reason, I am terrified of general anesthesia. I had my 2 cesareans with spinals just to avoid it! Needless to say, I woke up just fine from my difficult radical mastectomy that lasted 5 hours even though I didn't get recon. You'll do just fine! About the pain, it did hurt some but the painkillers worked great and after 3-4 days I was feeling pain free. I was able to do easy things like making coffee and folding laundry right away. If you have ever gotten abdominal surgery, you will find the mastectomy much easier. The worst thing for me was the drains. (They didn't hurt, but I'm the kind of person who hates not being able to have a regular shower) If you feel really nervous, check the statistics and see what a safe surgery mastectomies are. This is saving your life - you'll be just fine. I'll be waiting to hear back from you as soon as you wake up and get on line! Best of luck,000xxx Anna

• christald21
    christald21 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    button2 said:

I felt the same way

For some reason, I am terrified of general anesthesia. I had my 2 cesareans with spinals just to avoid it! Needless to say, I woke up just fine from my difficult radical mastectomy that lasted 5 hours even though I didn't get recon. You'll do just fine! About the pain, it did hurt some but the painkillers worked great and after 3-4 days I was feeling pain free. I was able to do easy things like making coffee and folding laundry right away. If you have ever gotten abdominal surgery, you will find the mastectomy much easier. The worst thing for me was the drains. (They didn't hurt, but I'm the kind of person who hates not being able to have a regular shower) If you feel really nervous, check the statistics and see what a safe surgery mastectomies are. This is saving your life - you'll be just fine. I'll be waiting to hear back from you as soon as you wake up and get on line! Best of luck,000xxx Anna

Hi 

had 5 hour surgery too!

Hi 

had 5 hour surgery too!  Pain is tolerable.  Drains suck.  And I am having much more drainlong on my left than right.  My right side is hardly any blood or fluid.  Is that normal? 

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

Hi 

had 5 hour surgery too!

Hi 

had 5 hour surgery too!  Pain is tolerable.  Drains suck.  And I am having much more drainlong on my left than right.  My right side is hardly any blood or fluid.  Is that normal? 

Glad you're okay

I have no answers, just glad to hear from you!!

xo

Victoria

• button2
    Options

Hi 

had 5 hour surgery too!

Hi 

Getvwell soon!

Hi there, I'm so glad you made it through and the pain is tolerable. Definitely ask a doctor or nurse about the drain ASAP. I got a seroma (on my underarm/upper back area) which is basically a swollen area of extra fluid. It went away on its own after a couple of months, but it was annoying. I'm not sure why it happened but I think it was from one day when my drain got clogged and when the doctor fixed it, the fluid started draining out really fast. Anyway, hang in there and pretty soon you will get them removed. You have made the first major step of getting thru surgery - good for you! Hugs, Anna

• christald21
    Options
    button2 said:

Getvwell soon!

Hi there, I'm so glad you made it through and the pain is tolerable. Definitely ask a doctor or nurse about the drain ASAP. I got a seroma (on my underarm/upper back area) which is basically a swollen area of extra fluid. It went away on its own after a couple of months, but it was annoying. I'm not sure why it happened but I think it was from one day when my drain got clogged and when the doctor fixed it, the fluid started draining out really fast. Anyway, hang in there and pretty soon you will get them removed. You have made the first major step of getting thru surgery - good for you! Hugs, Anna

Thank you saw the doctor

Hi,

I called the doctor today,  even though its thanksgiving.  He met me at his office and looked at it.  He said it was good i came in.  It was not draining properly.  He did some work on it, and now its not perfect, but at least it is draining.  By the way, he said i looked really good, and i am moving really good.  He was totally amazed of how i was handling this just surgery  yesterday....  Yea!!  Cool

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    Options

Thank you saw the doctor

Hi,

I called the doctor today,  even though its thanksgiving.  He met me at his office and looked at it.  He said it was good i came in.  It was not draining properly.  He did some work on it, and now its not perfect, but at least it is draining.  By the way, he said i looked really good, and i am moving really good.  He was totally amazed of how i was handling this just surgery  yesterday....  Yea!!  Cool

Hi Christa

Good to hear of your progress.  Also, smart that you called the DR, even if it was Thanksgiving!  Take it easy and let the healing begin.  If you do too much, as you feel energized, it might slow the process.  Take care, Linda

• button2
    Options

Thank you saw the doctor

Hi,

I'm glad you went to see the

I'm glad you went to see the doctor. If the drains don't work properly then the liquid gets into your tissues and you puff up. Great that you are doing so well...way to go!!

• daddy78@54
    daddy78@54 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    button2 said:

I'm glad you went to see the

I'm glad you went to see the doctor. If the drains don't work properly then the liquid gets into your tissues and you puff up. Great that you are doing so well...way to go!!

breast cancer

HI button 2 i have breast cancer did chemo finished october 15 waiting to do lumpectomy my platelets was low i was giving 2 units of platelets and it is now up but now my hemoglobins is only up at 9.0 and i cannot do surgery my oncologist is on vacation can anyone tell me if they had this problem after chemo and what was the longest time anyone waited to do surgery after chemo thanks for all the replys.

• LouisaP
    LouisaP Member Posts: 62
    Options

breast cancer

HI button 2 i have breast cancer did chemo finished october 15 waiting to do lumpectomy my platelets was low i was giving 2 units of platelets and it is now up but now my hemoglobins is only up at 9.0 and i cannot do surgery my oncologist is on vacation can anyone tell me if they had this problem after chemo and what was the longest time anyone waited to do surgery after chemo thanks for all the replys.

I finished chemo in  Aug &

I finished chemo in  Aug & just had mastectomy Nov. My onc told me I had 2-3 months to do surgery after finishing chemo. BUT that was me. Don't go by that. Ask your Dr because each case is different. Good luck.

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    glad you are doing well.

I think the fear of the unknown is always worse than the actual surgery, regardless of what everyone else says.  The drains just suck, no way to get around it.  Love to hear you have a doctor who was willing to meet you at the office, mine send to er if after hours.  

Hope it continues this well so you are healed for the Holidays.

Hugs,

Carol

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Post surgery

Glad you're doing well!  Those drains are horrible but soon they will be out and this will be in the past!

Best,

Sharon

• christald21
    Options

breast cancer

about 2 months for me

HI,

I had my last chemo on the 29th...  although i am still doing herceptin every 3 weeks.  I just had my surgery This November the 25th.

all the tests they did, came out negative for cancer.  I had double masectomy, and reconstruction with expanders, and drains. 

I am sure as long as they feel its ok when to do surgery than i am sure it will be o.k.

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Thank you saw the doctor

Hi,

Amazing recovery

Glad to hear all went well for you.  May you continue to amaze your medical team and yourself!  Thank you for sharing your experience and positive outlook with us!   Blessings as you heal!