Saw the Oncologist this morning....

Options
2»

Comments

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options

I'm sure I won't hear anything about

what the Univ. of Wa. has to say until next week.  If I haven't heard anything by Friday, I'll call up there.  I don't know how I'm feeling about this.  Reading everything written here, and wondering why not chemo, if it's going to set up any cancer cells that might be left so rads can blow their little heads off?? 

All the nodes that had cancer were low on my neck, by the collar bone, so I wouldn't be getting radiated in the same place.  The radiologist said he was sure there would be no over lapping, but would know absolutely after the simulation.  If there is he said he won't treat me. 

All this time I didn't realize there was a difference in SCC except where it happened to be found.  Like if it is found in the nasopharnyx, it is NPC, if it's in the oropharnyx it is SCC of the oropharnyx, if it's in the tonsils, or the base of the tongue, that's where SCC has been found.  I never in my life thought there was a difference in the SCC itself.  These cells could have laid dormant in the nodes for 3 years, because that area didn't light up, and didn't get rads. 

I just don't know what to think.

p

You are in my thoughts and prayers

You are always here for everyone else, just a note to say, " we're all here and pulling for you"

• Goyca
    Goyca Member Posts: 220
    Options
    U r a warrior. U'll kick ****

U r a warrior. U'll kick **** even if its rare. Take a deep breath.

sending u hugs and prayers.

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

What he was saying to me (I think)....

NPC is rare....a NPC recurrence is rarer.  But this isn't really a NPC recurrence, because the nasopharynx isn't affected....the cancer was only in the nodes.  And THAT is so rare he cannot find anything in his researching.  So is this a recurrence...are these cells that bounced back from the last treatment? 

So yeah....hearing from SCCA, might give us an idea of what to do besides the rads.

p

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    hwt said:

Dang

You need to have confidence in your treatment plan and hopefully another opinion (or two) will give you that. From the nodes removed, were they able to determine if it was the original cancer? I know I've already said this but it was very important to Mayo to know if my recurrances came from the originl site, which they did. In my brother's case, it was determined he had two primaries stage one opposed to one primary stage 4 mets. They have convinced me that knowing the source has much to do with course of action.

Sorry you have the unknown to deal with right now.  Is proposed radiation in a previously radiated spot? When my brother explained my situation to his doctor at Mayo, the doctor commented "don't let anyone tell her she can't be radiated twice". It saved my life.