Nivolumab is FDA approved to treat Kidney Cancer.

Comments

• Bellweather
    Bellweather Member Posts: 102
    One more for the road

Thanks for sharing,  very positive news.  The advances just keep coming.  It reminds me of all those before us that have sacrificed thru med trials without knowing the outcome.  Thank all of you that are still with us and those trail blazers that have gone on to a better place!

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    Awesome!

I was in the phase 1 trial when it was called MDX-1106. It reduced my tumors from 20ish to just a few small ones in 18 months. I am not aware of having had any side effects. I hope that when it is time for me to change drugs from votrient, I can get back on nivo. I'm so glad to hear this news.

• sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    NOW we can get good data for NON-CLEAR CELL

Some non-clear cell patients will now get this drug. They weren't in the clinical trials. I heard it from a very reputable oncologist that he believes that immunutherapies can and will help some non-clear cel patients for whom there is currently no agreed upon standard of care for treatment. I am really hopeful. 

• Bellweather
    Bellweather Member Posts: 102
    foxhd said:

Awesome!

I was in the phase 1 trial when it was called MDX-1106. It reduced my tumors from 20ish to just a few small ones in 18 months. I am not aware of having had any side effects. I hope that when it is time for me to change drugs from votrient, I can get back on nivo. I'm so glad to hear this news.

Thank you for leading the way.

I hope you can get back on the nivo when needed and it kicks your cancers ****!

• AprilandChuck
    AprilandChuck Member Posts: 110
    sblairc said:

Some non-clear cell patients will now get this drug. They weren't in the clinical trials. I heard it from a very reputable oncologist that he believes that immunutherapies can and will help some non-clear cel patients for whom there is currently no agreed upon standard of care for treatment. I am really hopeful. 

the outside edges of Chucks

the outside edges of Chucks Cancer was Rhabdoid the only reason he was let in was because the rest of the Tumor showed primarily Clear Cell... so it was classified Clear Cell with Rhabdoid features...had it been for that the specific wording he would not have gotten in... as it was when the Dr submitted him for approval from the trial he highlighted all the Clear Cell wording... Those like Fox were true trailblazers who put the word out and made us aware of BMS/Nivo/Opdivo without them sharing their information it would have been harder to comprehend... :D today was a win for Kidney Cancer Patients...After losing Mom to Small Cell Lung Cancer I would love to learn that the ongoing trial with Opdivo in that type shows some hope.. but its still to soon to know...

• foroughsh
    foroughsh Member Posts: 779 Member

the outside edges of Chucks

the outside edges of Chucks Cancer was Rhabdoid the only reason he was let in was because the rest of the Tumor showed primarily Clear Cell... so it was classified Clear Cell with Rhabdoid features...had it been for that the specific wording he would not have gotten in... as it was when the Dr submitted him for approval from the trial he highlighted all the Clear Cell wording... Those like Fox were true trailblazers who put the word out and made us aware of BMS/Nivo/Opdivo without them sharing their information it would have been harder to comprehend... :D today was a win for Kidney Cancer Patients...After losing Mom to Small Cell Lung Cancer I would love to learn that the ongoing trial with Opdivo in that type shows some hope.. but its still to soon to know...

Thanks for sharing the good

Thanks for sharing the good news

• DMike
    DMike Member Posts: 259
    foxhd said:

Awesome!

Thanks!

Thank you Fox!

David

• nancybuck
    nancybuck Member Posts: 117
    Amen

Just heard the news. So happy for so many who may benefit from this drug.

We in this club have something extra to be thankful for this Thanksgiving Day!

Be well friends.

Nancy

• dhs1963
    dhs1963 Member Posts: 513
    This is awesome.

Nivolumab also works for Sarcomitoid features.  While I am hoping I do not need it (remain NED), it is nice to know it is out there.

• BDS
    BDS Member Posts: 172

Hallelujah! – There have been times that I thought I never live to see the day!

When I was first diagnosed 3 ½ years ago and after my nephrectomy; I was extremely depressed. My Doctors were not very encouraging about my prognosis. On one depressing night my brother called from Florida to cheer me up. My brother told me that he had just read a medical article about this new class of drugs called PD-1. They were running clinical trials for lung cancer in Chicago and the results were very encouraging. The article went on to state that there were ongoing clinical trials for renal cell carcinoma. For the first time since being diagnosed I began to feel a little hopeful. Two months later I would start reading Fox’s post on CSN.

Now on to the next big thing – What will be the next drug that really kicks cancer in the butt? Immunotherapy, virology, vaccines, enhanced TKI’s who knows. All we can do is be encouraged and hopeful.   Life is Good  - BDS

• MattInVa
    MattInVa Member Posts: 50
    BDS said:

Hallelujah! – There have been times that I thought I never live to see the day!

When I was first diagnosed 3 ½ years ago and after my nephrectomy; I was extremely depressed. My Doctors were not very encouraging about my prognosis. On one depressing night my brother called from Florida to cheer me up. My brother told me that he had just read a medical article about this new class of drugs called PD-1. They were running clinical trials for lung cancer in Chicago and the results were very encouraging. The article went on to state that there were ongoing clinical trials for renal cell carcinoma. For the first time since being diagnosed I began to feel a little hopeful. Two months later I would start reading Fox’s post on CSN.

Now on to the next big thing – What will be the next drug that really kicks cancer in the butt? Immunotherapy, virology, vaccines, enhanced TKI’s who knows. All we can do is be encouraged and hopeful.   Life is Good  - BDS

Approval

I believe its is approved for 2nd line, thats what my ONC told me today.

Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Matt

• sblairc
    MattInVa said:

Approval

I believe its is approved for 2nd line, thats what my ONC told me today.

Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Matt

The press release from the FDA didn't say specifically

It didn't say in the FDA article. But I'd say Fox is a poster child for it as a front line therapy!! Holy moly did it do a number on his tumor load!

• adman
    adman Member Posts: 336
    sblairc said:

RCC Clear Cell....

So, all this 'Immunitherapy' stuff doesn't look like it works with Clear Cell RCC ?

• sblairc
    adman said:

RCC Clear Cell....

So, all this 'Immunitherapy' stuff doesn't look like it works with Clear Cell RCC ?

yes

That is what they clinical trialed it with. Clear cell. 

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    sblairc said:

The press release from the FDA didn't say specifically

It didn't say in the FDA article. But I'd say Fox is a poster child for it as a front line therapy!! Holy moly did it do a number on his tumor load!

Clear cell

When I was in the trial, it was for clear cell cancer only. I was bumped from the trial because despite having nearly all my tumors eliminated. One had minimal growth and according to protocol, I was eliminated from the study. In a perfect world, I would have remained on the drug and if only one aggressive met remained, I would have had it cherry picked. Good luck to everyone getting the opportunity to be on this drug.

• Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    foxhd said:

Clear cell

When I was in the trial, it was for clear cell cancer only. I was bumped from the trial because despite having nearly all my tumors eliminated. One had minimal growth and according to protocol, I was eliminated from the study. In a perfect world, I would have remained on the drug and if only one aggressive met remained, I would have had it cherry picked. Good luck to everyone getting the opportunity to be on this drug.

Well this certainly does

Well this certainly does sound like good news. Thank you to all who have paved the way for others by participating in the trials.