My mom is starting chemo again

Options

I'm in shock right now and because my mom doesn't want to share the news of her recurrence with anyone until after Thanksgiving, I have no one to talk to.  After two years of remission, my mom started having lower back pain.  She pushed her doctor for a PET scan and on Saturday, he called with the news that she will begin Taxol after Thanksgiving.  We really don't have any other information until she meets with him today.

Has anyone had any experience with recurrence post two years remission?  She was originally diagnosed IIIC in 10/2013 and finished her chemo in 3/2014. 

I'm kind of freaking out right now because I am an only child and my mom is my EVERYTHING!  I guess I just really need someone to tell me that everything is going to be okay.

Comments

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hugs

just take a deep breath.  i have never been in remission since February 2013, originally staged UPSC IIIC in April of that year.  the good news, if there is some to think about, is that your mom has been in remission for two years.  Hopefully the doctors are thinking they can push her back into that state.   Hang tough.  I have been in treatment of various types all along and live a pretty full life.  

Sending you hugs and keeping you both in my prayers - Anne

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    So sorry about yourmom

Like Anne, I have been in treatment for most of the three years since I was diagnosed.  I have many more good days that bad and my life is fairly normal.  I have found that I,can do almost any thing I want to, albeit sometimes al little slower.  It sounds like your mother's Doctor is getting a quick start on this.  I think that is good.  This is a good place to come for information and comfort.  Hugs and prayers to you and your mom.  Lou Ann

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

So sorry about yourmom

Like Anne, I have been in treatment for most of the three years since I was diagnosed.  I have many more good days that bad and my life is fairly normal.  I have found that I,can do almost any thing I want to, albeit sometimes al little slower.  It sounds like your mother's Doctor is getting a quick start on this.  I think that is good.  This is a good place to come for information and comfort.  Hugs and prayers to you and your mom.  Lou Ann

Courage!

As the two great ladies above I would say be strong, there is a big chance for getting better.

I'm stage 4 and I prefer to think about cancer as chronic illness.

Courage!!!