Finished radiation

My mom finished her radiation on Tuesday now we wait to see if it worked. I have a question, now that we are not running to radiation everyday I got hit with the truth that my mom has cancer and I am not sure how to deal with it. I would love any pointers on how to get passed it and move on.

Comments

• pam0422
    pam0422 Member Posts: 25
    Moms

I too am dealing with my mother having cancer. Hers' is a recurrence on the colon from the primary endometrial she had in 2009. I have found in our situation it has helped us to allow myself and my mother to experience every emotion. I'm a forceful take charge kind of daughter and I've had to let go enough to say,"she needs to be allowed to voice her fears and anger with me listening to her without trying to jump in and fix it." I also allow myself those emotions for short periods. You have to acknowledge the fear because it's a scary diagnosis and it's okay to be scared. After I acknowledge that this whole thing sucks, I move on to what I need to do to support her that day. Life is a one-day-at-a-time trip for all of us, dealing with a major illness just makes us more aware of the need to cherish every single one of the days. You have to meet each one of those days with perserverance and hope for a future with lots of NED. Finding this forum has helped me more than anything. Reading about the journey of every single one of these intelligent,courageous,compassionate,giving and incredible women brings me more peace and hope than anything else has. I am so glad you have landed here too. I hope it will offer you the same solace. - Pam

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    I think Pam has suggested

I think Pam has suggested some beautiful ideas, but I would also recommend, if you are working, reaching out to your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) if you have one.  I completely get the stopping treatment and feeling of "what now?"  At least when I was going for treatment it was an action I was taking to combat this disease and it almost got to be a 'friend' you could count on to be there.  

What a great question to raise, melwithbooks