treatment a little different

Options
lab guy
lab guy Member Posts: 27

Hello, I have been reading a lot of posts and have noticed my treatment was a little different and would like any input on if anybody could expain it, or if it could make a difference. From everything I have read normal treatment is six weeks of radiation, five days a week. Chemotherapy is given on a 96 hour drip the first and last week. This was what I was told was my treatment but was changed to five weeks of radiation with the first chemo given the first week but the last chemo not started until two days after completing radiation.Thank you in advance for your time on this matter. Steve 

Comments

• EvelynB
    EvelynB Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Steve

My radiologist told me that he would normally only do 5 weeks but he wanted me to do six because my tumor was so large. What stage was your cancer when they found it?

• lab guy
    lab guy Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Stage one, tumor was removed

Stage one, tumor was removed so what you are saying makes perfect sense. Thank you for your response.

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Steve

The usual treatment, as per the NCCN guidelines, is 5-6 weeks of radiation and chemo given during week one and week 5. 

Martha

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    mp327 said:

Steve

The usual treatment, as per the NCCN guidelines, is 5-6 weeks of radiation and chemo given during week one and week 5. 

Martha

NCCN Guidelines

The latest guidelines list several options.  I had a mitomycin infusion on Day1 and then 5 1/2 weeks of chemoradiation with Xeloda.  I thoought that a pill would be less compl;icated than the fanny pack infusiom