Ok...about this neck dissection.....

Options
2»

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Ok Phrannie lets start over.

You are going to have just a few Lymph nods removed. I would not really call it a neck dissection, and your doctor most likely would never use the trem Levels as it will only be just a couple nodes. He will make such a small incision it won't be noticeable and would not fall in what is thought of as a neck dissection. It will not be much more than the biopsy was and not need any drain tubes. As for any loss of motion it would only be sore from the removal and in a few days it all will be gone and no limitations of movement. They are not taking enough to cause any lymph drain problems in the future.

When I was in high school I had a lymph gland go bad and they removed it. About a one inch insision and it was removed. After a few days I was back to normal and never thought of it again until now. Never could fine the scar after a few weeks. This is really nothing to be worried about, and you will be fine. Also like you and also Joe said the numbers are very small to even see anything. 

Bill

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Grandmax4 said:

Best wishes will be with you

As everyone has mentioned, we're all different in the way we're affected. My surgeon told me, I would not be able to lift my arms above my head...coming out of the "buzz", when he walked in, I raised both arms above my head, and gave him a double wave. 

The worse part, for me, was the mucus...the James kept me in the hospital until the drains were removed.

We all love you , phrannie, and will keep you in our prayers...

I know it's not going to be just the two nodes...

since the ENT told me I'd be in the hospital for 3 days at least.....so no in and out for me.  You gave me an idea Carolyn, and a goal....lift my right hand and wave to the Dr. as he departs my room Smile.

I'm accepting and holding close all prayers and well wishes.

p

• phrannie51
    Options
    wmc said:

Ok Phrannie lets start over.

You are going to have just a few Lymph nods removed. I would not really call it a neck dissection, and your doctor most likely would never use the trem Levels as it will only be just a couple nodes. He will make such a small incision it won't be noticeable and would not fall in what is thought of as a neck dissection. It will not be much more than the biopsy was and not need any drain tubes. As for any loss of motion it would only be sore from the removal and in a few days it all will be gone and no limitations of movement. They are not taking enough to cause any lymph drain problems in the future.

When I was in high school I had a lymph gland go bad and they removed it. About a one inch insision and it was removed. After a few days I was back to normal and never thought of it again until now. Never could fine the scar after a few weeks. This is really nothing to be worried about, and you will be fine. Also like you and also Joe said the numbers are very small to even see anything. 

Bill

He didn't mention levels....

but he did say they'd be cutting down from my ear, and then over across my throat....so this is bigger than just a couple of nodes.....it's a "modified radical neck dissection" (that's what it said on the surgical orders)....but from what everyone has said....that, in itself has different meanings as to how many nodes will be removed.  He also said they wouldn't be removing any muscle, so I'm thinking nodes only......no tissue removal.  My sis said she'd take a picture of me when I get out of surgery...she promised not to post it on Facebook....LOL. 

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    Options

He didn't mention levels....

but he did say they'd be cutting down from my ear, and then over across my throat....so this is bigger than just a couple of nodes.....it's a "modified radical neck dissection" (that's what it said on the surgical orders)....but from what everyone has said....that, in itself has different meanings as to how many nodes will be removed.  He also said they wouldn't be removing any muscle, so I'm thinking nodes only......no tissue removal.  My sis said she'd take a picture of me when I get out of surgery...she promised not to post it on Facebook....LOL. 

Not to worry

The surgery is ALMOST always done that way, mine was for 3 nodes.  They cut along the folds in your neck and you'll never see it after a few weeks.

chill

J.

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi Phrannie

Hi there.  Evidently if I have anything that glows in my neck in the PET after tx I will have some version of what you are about to go through.  I am a worry ahead of time kind of girl so I read alot as I'm sure you're doing.  I watched the YouTube videos too...bad idea.  But my general impression was it would be ok...tolerable pain, big incisions but they heal fast and fade. I decided that is still way better than my Tonsillectomy.  Now that hurt!  Its going to be ok and you are going to do awesome :)

• louhou13
    louhou13 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Very doable!

I had bilateral modified radical neck dissection levels I-V along with left tonsil removal in October 2012; I was in hospital for 7 nights. The procedure was explained to me along with the incision line. I was cut ear to ear and have recovered very nicely. I really wasn't prepared for some of the very livable, hardly noticable side effects: numbness in both ears and neck and jawline. I use an electric razor and like it better than the blades. I cannot lift my left arm like an airplane higher than my chest but never really had a reason to. What I wasn't prepared for was : staples and ear and neck pain when I woke from the procedure and wish that was explained as I thought it was permanent. I highly recommend you massage the incision line after staples/suture removal. I also rubbed vitimin E and several balms on the incision line for about 6 months and the incision line is only slightly noticable. I gently massage the incision line a few times a week to help with and prevent minor  few second long spasms. Major surgury yes - very livable YES!!! We are all different but a lot of us have had the procedure and are well and HAPPY! 

Thoughts and prayers are with you!

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    louhou13 said:

Very doable!

I had bilateral modified radical neck dissection levels I-V along with left tonsil removal in October 2012; I was in hospital for 7 nights. The procedure was explained to me along with the incision line. I was cut ear to ear and have recovered very nicely. I really wasn't prepared for some of the very livable, hardly noticable side effects: numbness in both ears and neck and jawline. I use an electric razor and like it better than the blades. I cannot lift my left arm like an airplane higher than my chest but never really had a reason to. What I wasn't prepared for was : staples and ear and neck pain when I woke from the procedure and wish that was explained as I thought it was permanent. I highly recommend you massage the incision line after staples/suture removal. I also rubbed vitimin E and several balms on the incision line for about 6 months and the incision line is only slightly noticable. I gently massage the incision line a few times a week to help with and prevent minor  few second long spasms. Major surgury yes - very livable YES!!! We are all different but a lot of us have had the procedure and are well and HAPPY! 

Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Phrannie

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending tons of hugs and good vibes from sunny Arizona.

Luv,

Wolfen

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow

I'll be saying extra prayers for you, Phrannie. I hope your recovery is fast and that you can get back to dispensing wise words and wise cracks on this site quickly.

• VanessaSLO
    VanessaSLO Member Posts: 283
    Options
    My dad had modified neck dissection

Phrannie,

my dad had modified neck dissection one year after tx was done. To tell you the truth, it was not "much of an importance", because he did not have any problems after that. It was pretty much an easy surgery. They took 15 nodes out, cut him from ear to bottom of is neck. It doesn't look pretty now, because his neck is a bit "thinner" there now. But he did not have any problems after surgery. Of course he is a bit less flexible with his neck movements, but that's it.

So I think, you will probably have the same! Don't worry!! Everything will be good and not that hard! Prayers sent!!

• phrannie51
    Options
    Noon tomorrow they'll

start slicing me up Smile....Took an Ativan tonight, but was amazingly calm today....Thanks everybody for all your warm fuzzies....I take them to heart, I really do....

p

Laralyn and I have started a party bus.....Joe, you can be the driver....just don't pretend it's a Prosche Tongue Out.

p

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options

Noon tomorrow they'll

start slicing me up Smile....Took an Ativan tonight, but was amazingly calm today....Thanks everybody for all your warm fuzzies....I take them to heart, I really do....

p

Laralyn and I have started a party bus.....Joe, you can be the driver....just don't pretend it's a Prosche Tongue Out.

p

The Party Bus...

...is on the road! :-)

You'll sail through this, Phrannie--and hopefully it will answer questions and those answers will let you get right back off the bus again! 

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    surgery

I had a radical neck dissection and then 7 days later, they had to go right back in and take more of my jaw out.  So, my doctor jokes that it was a 2 for 1! haha  I ended up with almost 90 staples in all, stitches inside and out and my nickname became "fat head".  Smile

As bad as that may all sound, the surgeries were not all that horrible.  Radiation was much tougher in my opinion.  Other than the swelling (and not being able to wash my hair for TWENTY ONE DAYS!!), the recovery wasn't all that bad.  I was pretty swollen, the staples itched some (I was glad to get those out), and trying to find a comfortable position in which to sleep was the worst of it all.  I still feel "tight" in the scarred area, and I use a lot of lotion on it now, but I have full range of my shoulders, neck and arms.  I didn't have PT, but my nurse was tough and she made me stand up straight, raise and lower my shoulders and work those muscles out. I was in the hospital for twelve days. 

Many thoughts and prayers for you my sweet friend. <3