Just wondering

lab guy
lab guy Member Posts: 27

Hi, I am now about 3 weeks out of treatment, starting to get bowel control back and better appetite. Everything I have read post treatment seems to follow what is happening to me except I am still losing weight. Started at about 168 and now at 153 about a 6 pound loss post treatment. I was a stage one and the radiologist said the cancer only showed on the PET scan. Is this normal? I see my oncologist on the 23rd of this month, any urgency?

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    lab guy

I have this same issue with weight.  Well, not exactly losing any more but I do not gain weight and have been tipping the scales at a whopping 95 pounds for a few years now.  I obviously cannot tell you why you continue to lose weight, but I can share with you why I think I can't gain weight, and the same reason could possibly be affecting both of us. 

The radiation treatment not only zaps our tumor away, but it also can cause great damage to the intestinal tract.  Some people obviously experience more damage than others and can experience radiation proctitis or radiation enteritis.  The treatment can make it hard for our intestines to absorb fats and nutrients, which is what I believe is happening in my case.  Because of my size, people think that I do not eat very much.  However, I consume enough calories daily that, in a normal situation, I should be gaining weight.  I believe what I have is malabsorption syndrome.  I am certain that my body does not absorb fats, as I will explain below, if you'll bear with me and don't mind hearing some TMI!

When one has malabsorption syndrome and cannot absorb fats from foods, several telltale symptoms occur, as in my case.  Bowel movements are hardly ever formed, will be very pale in color (about the color of peanut butter--sorry!), and will be "greasy."  Bowel control can be an issue as well.  Obviously, fat contains a lot of calories and is one reason people normally gain weight--they eat too much of it!  However, if the body does not absorb fat, gaining weight can be a struggle, and losing weight can happen without effort.

Now, if what I have described to you sounds familiar, then this could be why you are losing weight.  Monitor what you eat and how your bowels react.  If you have any of the symptoms I have mentioned above, then this may be the cause.  I'm not a doctor, so I could be way off base.  I'm just sharing what is happening to me and letting you know that this syndrome can occur, especially after radiation to the intestinal tract.  If you are concerned enough about this, please see your doctor.

It could be as simple as your body taking time to heal.  Make sure you are getting a good balance of protein, carbs and fats (preferably the good ones).  I wish you all the best and hope you will keep us posted.

Martha 

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    lab guy.....

Hi,

I think at 3 weeks post treatment it is still pretty normal for most people. Your body is using extra energy (burning calories) to recover. Try to eat healthy protiens like yogurt to aid in recovery but also maybe an extra snack like a peanut butter sandwich or enjoy that extra helping of potatoes and gravy for now. If you continue to lose I would surely let your doctor know, but don't see this as urgent just yet since you are seeing him soon anyway.

Hoping recovery continues  with little or no problems, as you move forward.

katheryn

• lab guy
    lab guy Member Posts: 27
    eihtak said:

lab guy.....

Hi,

I think at 3 weeks post treatment it is still pretty normal for most people. Your body is using extra energy (burning calories) to recover. Try to eat healthy protiens like yogurt to aid in recovery but also maybe an extra snack like a peanut butter sandwich or enjoy that extra helping of potatoes and gravy for now. If you continue to lose I would surely let your doctor know, but don't see this as urgent just yet since you are seeing him soon anyway.

Hoping recovery continues  with little or no problems, as you move forward.

katheryn

Thank you both for your

Thank you both for your replies. Being new to this of course the first place my mind runs to is " The treatment didn't work it is the cancer" which makes no sense because I had zero weight loss before the treatment. I am so thankful this is here so the rookies can learn from the veterans. Thank you both again!

• EvelynB
    EvelynB Member Posts: 72
    mp327 said:

lab guy

I have this same issue with weight.  Well, not exactly losing any more but I do not gain weight and have been tipping the scales at a whopping 95 pounds for a few years now.  I obviously cannot tell you why you continue to lose weight, but I can share with you why I think I can't gain weight, and the same reason could possibly be affecting both of us. 

The radiation treatment not only zaps our tumor away, but it also can cause great damage to the intestinal tract.  Some people obviously experience more damage than others and can experience radiation proctitis or radiation enteritis.  The treatment can make it hard for our intestines to absorb fats and nutrients, which is what I believe is happening in my case.  Because of my size, people think that I do not eat very much.  However, I consume enough calories daily that, in a normal situation, I should be gaining weight.  I believe what I have is malabsorption syndrome.  I am certain that my body does not absorb fats, as I will explain below, if you'll bear with me and don't mind hearing some TMI!

When one has malabsorption syndrome and cannot absorb fats from foods, several telltale symptoms occur, as in my case.  Bowel movements are hardly ever formed, will be very pale in color (about the color of peanut butter--sorry!), and will be "greasy."  Bowel control can be an issue as well.  Obviously, fat contains a lot of calories and is one reason people normally gain weight--they eat too much of it!  However, if the body does not absorb fat, gaining weight can be a struggle, and losing weight can happen without effort.

Now, if what I have described to you sounds familiar, then this could be why you are losing weight.  Monitor what you eat and how your bowels react.  If you have any of the symptoms I have mentioned above, then this may be the cause.  I'm not a doctor, so I could be way off base.  I'm just sharing what is happening to me and letting you know that this syndrome can occur, especially after radiation to the intestinal tract.  If you are concerned enough about this, please see your doctor.

It could be as simple as your body taking time to heal.  Make sure you are getting a good balance of protein, carbs and fats (preferably the good ones).  I wish you all the best and hope you will keep us posted.

Martha 

Martha

That makes so much sense. I eat what seems to be alot and yet never gain a pound. I am taking alot of vitamin supplements and juicing so, hopefully, that will help if there is a malabsorption issue.   Thanks for sharing that information. 

• EvelynB
    EvelynB Member Posts: 72
    Lab guy

This was (and still is) my experience also. Your body is working extremely hard to heal from the cancer and the treatment. This takes alot of energy. The weight loss should taper off and you will probably be very slow to gain weight back. A stage one is usually very curable so I would think you have every reason to be optimistic.    

• jad345
    jad345 Member Posts: 21
    just wondering

I hope this helps - my oncologist told me that radiology speeds up your metabolism and it takes about a year before it gets back to normal and you have to keep eating extra food until then. It worked that way for me! Why don't you ask your radiologist next time you see him or her.

Good Luck

Jackie

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    Lab Guy

First, welcome to this "club" for all the wrong reasons.  Congratulations - you are now a lifetime member!

I finished treatments 2 years and 8 months ago and I lost a good bit of weight during treatments too.  I did not really start gaining any back for 6 months to a year at least.  I think our bodies  go through a lot of changes and have to work hard to get things back to "normal" from all that it's just been through.  It's always good to check with your doctor but I think what you're experiencing is normal.  I was told to eat extra proteins and use full or light verisions of foods instead of fat-free.

-Tracey