Time to jump in

Options
lab guy
lab guy Member Posts: 27

I have been following posts for several months after being diagnosed in August of this year. Like Martha, who I feel is the pillar of knowledge on this subject, I too was told I had a hemorhoid problem. After four doctors I was finally given the correct diagnoses. Not the one I wanted to hear but at least it gave me a starting point. First, a little about myself. I was diagnosed at 53 years old, I have been with my wife for 27 years, am a complete health nut, don't smoke or drink, so how did I get this? Who knows. I asked a nurse this to which she replied "Explain to me how a 7 year old gets lukemia?". Since you can not rewind life, deal with it. Done with all the treatment now, waiting to see the rectal surgeon in December to see what is next. Fortunately, I am self employed so I am able to take a complete leave of abscence until I get through this. I have told my wife several times I don't know how people with normal lives and responsibilities do it. This has made me house bound at points. Pain like I never could imagine. So, can I join the club no one wants to belong to? LOL. Steve

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    lab guy.....

Hi Steve,

First off....congratulations on completeing this tough treatment!!

Your in! This club has an open door policy, unfortunately the dues are high and its kind of an exclusive club in that nothing is off limits and all are welcome, yet we wish enrollment would go down from lack of need!

I haven't posted as much lately but am trying to get back in the routine. I was first dx with Stage3b anal cancer almost five years ago, but this last spring was treated for a recurrance in my lung. Today I am doing well (I think), or at least so I feel.

One can't help but question the "how did I get this" along the road, but your nurses response was probably right. Some doctors test tumors for HPV as HPV has a direct connection to many cancers, but still others don't test as treatment would be the same. HPV can lay dormant in your body for decades with you never knowing, so you could have contracted it very long ago. I too am (cancer aside) very healthy and have been with my husband for over 30 years, but here I am.

Please feel free to post with any questions or concerns, as although we are all different in how we recover, someone surely will have some helpful advice that might help. You as well, may have some encouraging tip for others too. Dealing with the treatment or recovery effects of anal cancer is not something people who have never been through it can completely relate to, they may try, but being part of this group has offered myself so much help and inspiration over the years that I can't imagine recovering without it.

Please keep us posted on how things are going!

katheryn

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    lab guy

I am sorry that you have a reason to be here, but thank goodness you are done with your treatment and on the road to recovery.  I thank you for your compliment about my knowledge on the subject of anal cancer--that's very nice of you.  However, there is much more that I don't know!  Each day it seems that I learn something else.  There are many knowledgable folks on this site and we all do our best to help each other out, as you've probably noticed.  It's so important to share what we know.

As for the "why" of this disease, who knows!  So many of us have asked that and still have no answers.  Just luck of the draw, I guess.  You are right about the pain--I could never have imagined it being that bad.  But here we both are, so it was all worth it, right?  My colorectal doctor told me the day she made her preliminary diagnosis and explained what treatment I'd be getting "it won't be fun, but you'll get through it."

I wish you continued recovery and I hope that your upcoming follow-up in December will be all good news.  This cancer can definitely be beaten, as many of us have proven, so think positive.  Take care and please keep us posted.

Martha

• jcruz
    jcruz Member Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    lab guy

Welcome to club no one wants to belong to.  It's a good group to hang with.  Too bad we're all here.

I'm glad you made it through treatment and on are on the healing side of it.  I'm glad you were able to take time off as needed.  I had a huge bank of sick leave and then went on disability for 3 months.  I was off work for a total of 7 months.  I feel like a was fortunate to have spent 30+ years working for a public university, good health insurance and family medical leave.

I hope you're resting and healing.  Keep in touch.

Janet

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Dear Friend,

Yes, welcome to the club. Unlike Woody Alan said: "I don't want to belong to a club that accepts me as a member."

I was in your shoes 2.5 years ago with rectal cancer: self employed, freshly out of a divorce with major financial obligations and I had to work until I could. I didn't know how I did it, but your body and mind are capable of amazing things in emergency. 

One day at a time my friend.

All the best, 

Laz

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    Dear Friend,

Yes, welcome to the club. Unlike Woody Alan said: "I don't want to belong to a club that accepts me as a member."

I was in your shoes 2.5 years ago with rectal cancer: self employed, freshly out of a divorce with major financial obligations and I had to work until I could. I didn't know how I did it, but your body and mind are capable of amazing things in emergency. 

One day at a time my friend.

All the best, 

Laz

• lab guy
    lab guy Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!