ESTROGEN INHIBITORS

Options
mopar
mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member

Wondering if anyone is taking an estrogen inhibitor such as Anostrozole or Aromasin?  I have been on it for over a year for a bout with breast cancer, and my CA125 seems to be doing the jumping-jacks.  It has gone from 13 to 16 back down to 15 up to 28 then 35 now back to 31.  My CT for OVCA follow-up is clear, but given how I feel on this medication I'm wondering if it's affecting the CA125.  Previously I had been maintaining steady levels between 13 and 19.  My doctor wants me to call my other oncologist and switch to Femera, but quite frankly, it will just be trading one set of problems for another. He's also suggesting a PET scan, as he doesn't always find a CT conclusive.  My pelvic exam also proved to indicate NED.

Other than the CA125 rise, I am fatigued, have gained a large amount of weight, especially in the midsection, low interested in food, and when I do eat I seem to get indigestion and feeling of fullness in the ujpper abdoment.  Bone/joint pain is a little better, but all of these side affects are affecting quality of life - I just don't feel like myself. 

Any thoughts would be greaty appreciated.  

As always, thoughts and prayers for everyone!

Monika

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Aromason
    I was on Tamoxifen and it was toxic to my system after about 8 months. I was so bloated and put on 30 lbs i. 3 weeks. When I stopped it I dropped 25 lbs in a month and my headaches stopped. When they came out with Femara and Aromasin, I did Femara and every bone and joint in my body hurt, I was determined it would work, but had to stop after. 7 weeks. The pain was lhorrible.
    I was hesitant on doing Aromasin, I finally gave in. No s/e. it worked great for about 19 months. CA 125 went from over 500 to 24. Now it has run its course, I was off it for 6 weeks and tumor marker went up 50 points, so I am back on it. I have bone advanced stage bone mets. I will find out if it slows it next week.
    My oncologist explained, Aromasin, Arimades, and Femara, basically do the same thing. What most people react to are the binders used. I am so glad that I got the 19 months on Aromasin. Worth trying, it took about 4 weeks for my body to adjust again. I am just thankful that these are now available. When I was originally dx in 2002. Tamoxifen was all we had, and I couldn't tolerate then, same in 2010 when I tried it again.
    Wish you the best.
    Carol
  • mopar
    Options
    camul said:

Aromason
    I was on Tamoxifen and it was toxic to my system after about 8 months. I was so bloated and put on 30 lbs i. 3 weeks. When I stopped it I dropped 25 lbs in a month and my headaches stopped. When they came out with Femara and Aromasin, I did Femara and every bone and joint in my body hurt, I was determined it would work, but had to stop after. 7 weeks. The pain was lhorrible.
    I was hesitant on doing Aromasin, I finally gave in. No s/e. it worked great for about 19 months. CA 125 went from over 500 to 24. Now it has run its course, I was off it for 6 weeks and tumor marker went up 50 points, so I am back on it. I have bone advanced stage bone mets. I will find out if it slows it next week.
    My oncologist explained, Aromasin, Arimades, and Femara, basically do the same thing. What most people react to are the binders used. I am so glad that I got the 19 months on Aromasin. Worth trying, it took about 4 weeks for my body to adjust again. I am just thankful that these are now available. When I was originally dx in 2002. Tamoxifen was all we had, and I couldn't tolerate then, same in 2010 when I tried it again.
    Wish you the best.
    Carol

THANK YOU, CAROL

I appreciate your response, Carol.  But I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles.  I agree - all of these drugs work off the same mechanism, so it's no wonder they have so many side affects in common.  I just find it interesting that years ago I took Boniva (one time only) and was in horrific pain for a month.  During that time my CA125 shot up from 10 to 48.  No doubt it was from all the imflammation caused by the Boniva.  I actually called the pharmeceutical company and they told me to never take it again.  I certainly didn't need their approval, but the confirmation of what I already new was appreciated.  Anyway, this is why I believe the Aromasin may be a factor in the upswing in my numbers.  My oncologist suggested Femara, but I will not trade one set of problems for another.  I will stay on this one and deal with it as best as I can.  I have scheduled my 3D mammorgram, and a PET scan, so hopefully both will show NED.

I wish you well, Carol.  And thank you for responding!

Monika

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

THANK YOU, CAROL

I appreciate your response, Carol.  But I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles.  I agree - all of these drugs work off the same mechanism, so it's no wonder they have so many side affects in common.  I just find it interesting that years ago I took Boniva (one time only) and was in horrific pain for a month.  During that time my CA125 shot up from 10 to 48.  No doubt it was from all the imflammation caused by the Boniva.  I actually called the pharmeceutical company and they told me to never take it again.  I certainly didn't need their approval, but the confirmation of what I already new was appreciated.  Anyway, this is why I believe the Aromasin may be a factor in the upswing in my numbers.  My oncologist suggested Femara, but I will not trade one set of problems for another.  I will stay on this one and deal with it as best as I can.  I have scheduled my 3D mammorgram, and a PET scan, so hopefully both will show NED.

I wish you well, Carol.  And thank you for responding!

Monika

Why are they checking CA-125?

Just askin. . . it's usually a marker for ovarian cancer.

Suzanne

• mopar
    Options

Why are they checking CA-125?

Just askin. . . it's usually a marker for ovarian cancer.

Suzanne

Hi, Suzanne

I had OVCA in 2000 and in 2006, so I get routine marker checks throughout the year.  

Monika

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

Hi, Suzanne

I had OVCA in 2000 and in 2006, so I get routine marker checks throughout the year.  

Monika

So THAT'S why .. .

So sorry about the OVCA, Monika.  Are you also BRCA+?  Just curious. You probably know that CA 125 is also a marker for a rare(r) type of endometrial cancer, UPSC.  I'm assuming you've had a complete hysterectomy???

Suzanne