Post-mastectomy bras

Options

Getting a prosthesis tomorrow.  Had a simple mastectomy Sept. 2, right breast.  Had trouble finding someplace in my area to get a prosthesis that was in my health plan network.  After much frustration, finally found a facility, but it's not a boutique and they don't have the bras.  They said they can order them...but how can I buy something without getting it fitted.  Am I wrong?

Comments

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Wierd that they have the

Wierd that they have the prosthesis but not the bra. I think I'd buy a bra first so that you can put the prosthesis in the bra to see how well it matches the other side and if it looks natural and feels good.

Fortunately the place where I bought fitted me for both bra and prosthesis and I left wearing them.

Gayle 

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I only had 2 lumpectomies

I only had 2 lumpectomies (same side) small chested to start with-after 5 yr of tamoxifen I have gained some breast-i have alwya bought cheap bras...last week (after 8 yr post)

I went to victories secreat and got two NICE, comfortable bras. pricey compared to my target but such a great fit.

They measure you-check you out in the fitting room, to see if good fit and change to difderent style if needed!!!!

Denise

• BeingAliveIsBeautiful
    Options
    Maybe check acs?

we have a boutique in our hospital with many items, but the ACS has a store about 30 miles from me that is very helpful. can you check to see if there's an ACS near you? If not, we have a great local organization or support groups that could help you figure it out or even donate. if you can't connect with these, ask your oncologist. I know someone is near that can help!

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Is there a Medical Supply in

Is there a Medical Supply in your area?  Check with them and see if they have a Certified Fitter there.

Where I live there is only one Certified Fitter within 350 miles.  Getting the right prosthesis is a lot more than just looking in a catalog and going by what it says.  Bras are the same.  They fit differently and fit different prosthesis differently as we are each unique.

I have been dealing with the same Medical Supply for almost 6 yrs and Nicole is great.  She now knows my 'body' and my preferences so orders in several bras she thinks I'd like and/or fit me.  We always discuss the fit/my thouhts when they are tried on and I get the best ones and the 'rejects' they return.

Where I go they do keep a few of the 'usual size' bras (and prosthesis) on hand but I am 'smaller' so they do not keep any 'on hand'.

Try on - if doesn't fit or you don't like it - don't BUY!

• LouisaP
    LouisaP Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Rague said:

Is there a Medical Supply in

Is there a Medical Supply in your area?  Check with them and see if they have a Certified Fitter there.

Where I live there is only one Certified Fitter within 350 miles.  Getting the right prosthesis is a lot more than just looking in a catalog and going by what it says.  Bras are the same.  They fit differently and fit different prosthesis differently as we are each unique.

I have been dealing with the same Medical Supply for almost 6 yrs and Nicole is great.  She now knows my 'body' and my preferences so orders in several bras she thinks I'd like and/or fit me.  We always discuss the fit/my thouhts when they are tried on and I get the best ones and the 'rejects' they return.

Where I go they do keep a few of the 'usual size' bras (and prosthesis) on hand but I am 'smaller' so they do not keep any 'on hand'.

Try on - if doesn't fit or you don't like it - don't BUY!

Call your insurance company &

Call your insurance company & tell them there is no place near you. They usually have a milage cutoff so if there's not one within a certain amount of miles you can go out of the plan. Even without a prosthesis I could never buy bras from a catalogue unless you already know that size & style will fit. More important with a prosthesis. A lot of girls like to order these. They can be worn in regular bras too & they are adjustable. I haven't tried mine yet because my surgery is tomorrow.

http://awesomebreastforms.org/

Volunteers knit them & mail them out.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    LouisaP said:

Call your insurance company &

Call your insurance company & tell them there is no place near you. They usually have a milage cutoff so if there's not one within a certain amount of miles you can go out of the plan. Even without a prosthesis I could never buy bras from a catalogue unless you already know that size & style will fit. More important with a prosthesis. A lot of girls like to order these. They can be worn in regular bras too & they are adjustable. I haven't tried mine yet because my surgery is tomorrow.

http://awesomebreastforms.org/

Volunteers knit them & mail them out.

any luck finding something close by??

sounds frustrating and Crazy- yes, one would think you need to be measured for quality and comforT ..  Sounds like you may a choice of A. b, or C ...  unfair if that is the case.

Vicki Sam 

• Desmonds1
    Desmonds1 Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

any luck finding something close by??

sounds frustrating and Crazy- yes, one would think you need to be measured for quality and comforT ..  Sounds like you may a choice of A. b, or C ...  unfair if that is the case.

Vicki Sam 

Have you tried Lady Grace?

Have you tried Lady Grace?