Test Results = Mix of Optimism + Reality

eihtak
eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
edited November 2015 in Anal Cancer #1

Hi everyone,

So last week I was scanned as followup to recent treatment.

(Initially dx in 2011 with Stage 3b anal cancer and treated with chemo/rad/permanent ostomy. 2012 dx with Stage 2 rare breast cancer and treated with double mastectomy/arimidex. 2015 dx with anal cancer mets to lung, treated with lobectomy/chemo. Initial follow-up showed blood clot in good lung and treated with lovenox injections/warfarin)

The reality of my health at this point is that I will most likely be dealing with cancer or effects of, on some level for the rest of my life. My recent scan shows that the concerning blood clot is essentially resolved with minimal if any residua still seen. Density area in left kidney previously reported is stable, no new nodule and stable low density areas in liver,(probably cysts, though one is 1cm) Perianal and rectal area appear similar to prior study. (Including other pelvic area concerns to be minimal if any)

But, New findings are a little concerning to me..... in the precarinal area, a 1.6 x 1.2 cm lymph node conglomerate compared to 1.2 x 0.7 cm.

In the left superior mediastinum, a 2.0 x 0.5 cm lymph node compared to 1.2 x 0.2 cm on prior exam.

In the left hilar image 1.4 x 0.7 cm lymph node compared to 10 x 5 mm based on my retrospective measurement on last exam.

Previous scan was 5 months ago.

The area of these enlarged lymph nodes is in the thoracic cavity and where the trachia brances off. Its a very complicated space kind of in front of the heart and connecting to the lung! Yikes!!!

My doctor for the first time ever seemed to me to be kind of vague on what he thinks or maybe I just couldn't read his reaction well, I don't know, but I've never left his office feeling like "Hmmmmm, now what???" He wants to scan again in 3 months which again puts me above and beyond any safe amount of radiation, but I am sure I surpassed that loooong ago, and is really the only way prior to biopsy to see if they have grown. I know the job of lymph nodes, and I know they can enlarge if an infection of some type, but I also know that too much chemo, scans, and radiation can increase a cancer (survivors.....using that term only for lack of a better word) risk for lymphoma and leukemia.

I am feeling absolutely great, working hard to finish school and finally graduate from college (at 57 yrs old), enjoying wonderful times with friends and family, so kind of not concerned about all this (maybe I am at the point where I have accepted that which is out of my hands) but the reality is taking up space in my head that I'd like to replace with better things!!

Anyhow, thats that.......keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and hoping for safe and happy holidays ahead!

katheryn

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    katheryn

Not being a radiologist, I don't have a clue how to interpret these results.  However, I do see why you are concerned, especially since this scan, as compared to your prior exam, shows slight growth in the areas mentioned.  I also understand your concern about receiving more radiation in 3 months to get another scan, but as you say, this may be the only way, short of biopsy to assess any changes.

The good news is you are feeling well, so let's hope that that is a very good sign.  I am thinking all good thoughts for you and will keep you in my prayers.  Please keep us posted as you learn any more.

Martha

• eihtak
    mp327 said:

katheryn

Not being a radiologist, I don't have a clue how to interpret these results.  However, I do see why you are concerned, especially since this scan, as compared to your prior exam, shows slight growth in the areas mentioned.  I also understand your concern about receiving more radiation in 3 months to get another scan, but as you say, this may be the only way, short of biopsy to assess any changes.

The good news is you are feeling well, so let's hope that that is a very good sign.  I am thinking all good thoughts for you and will keep you in my prayers.  Please keep us posted as you learn any more.

Martha

Martha....

Thank you,

I'd like to think that feeling good is a good sign in this journey, but unfortunately while undoubtedly important, it has not always proven to be a sign of "good" health for me. I felt good, actually great, with my last couple of diagnosis and had no concerning symptoms.

I did ask my doctor what his gut told him on interpreting if this was cancer and if so what kind, and his response was that there is no way to know at this point. The fact that he did not want to do something right away could be good, but it may also mean that in my case 3 months will not make a hugh difference in treatment and so why not enjoy the holidays???

I have an appointment in a few weeks with my PCP who has been so helpful in explanations, opinions, and very thoroughly tying things together, so will look forward to meeting with her. My glucose was extremely high and my bp somewhat elevated so am concentrating on getting that back to good numbers as a first step, then will take things as they come.

Again, thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers.

katheryn

• z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Katheryn

Katheryn, You have such a positive attitude and I think that goes a long way.  As far as the lymph nodes that really isn't a lot of growth over 5 months.  My lung noduule went from 7mm to 1.2 mm in 3 months.  Since those are lymph nodes like you said they might be enlarged because they are doing their job in cleaning up any infection or inflammation.   I liked to think thats what going on there as your upper body has gone through quite a bit.  I think thats why he wants to rescan in 3 months to see if any more growth or they go back down again.  In the 2nd year following my vat surgery of my lower right lobe, a 5 mm lung nodule was found and upon a rescan 3 months later it was gone.  So I hope thats what happens to your lymph nodes that they go back down to normal.  I wish you well and congratulations on graduating from college, that is so wonderful!  Lori

• eihtak
    z said:

Katheryn

Katheryn, You have such a positive attitude and I think that goes a long way.  As far as the lymph nodes that really isn't a lot of growth over 5 months.  My lung noduule went from 7mm to 1.2 mm in 3 months.  Since those are lymph nodes like you said they might be enlarged because they are doing their job in cleaning up any infection or inflammation.   I liked to think thats what going on there as your upper body has gone through quite a bit.  I think thats why he wants to rescan in 3 months to see if any more growth or they go back down again.  In the 2nd year following my vat surgery of my lower right lobe, a 5 mm lung nodule was found and upon a rescan 3 months later it was gone.  So I hope thats what happens to your lymph nodes that they go back down to normal.  I wish you well and congratulations on graduating from college, that is so wonderful!  Lori

Lori.....

Thank you for your VERY encouraging words. I haven't posted as much lately, mostly because I've been incredibly busy "just living".....but sharing concerns with others here, and getting opinions from those in similar situations, reminds me of how it does a world of good in easing any anxiety during that awful period of "waiting" for doctors confirmation on things.

You were so helpful in explaining things during my lung surgery, and I truely appreciate your input, thanks again!

(I will hope as you say, that they are just doing their job)

katheryn

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    eihtak said:

Lori.....

Thank you for your VERY encouraging words. I haven't posted as much lately, mostly because I've been incredibly busy "just living".....but sharing concerns with others here, and getting opinions from those in similar situations, reminds me of how it does a world of good in easing any anxiety during that awful period of "waiting" for doctors confirmation on things.

You were so helpful in explaining things during my lung surgery, and I truely appreciate your input, thanks again!

(I will hope as you say, that they are just doing their job)

katheryn

Katheryn

I'm glad you are feeling well and busy living and I'm sorry to hear of your uncertain scan results.  Since you just finished chemo and treatments for clots, I'm hopeful that it's just your body taking care of itself.  I'm saying a prayer for you and hope the next scan clears things up.

Well wishes,

Tracey

• RoseC
    RoseC Member Posts: 559
    TraceyUSA said:

Katheryn

I'm glad you are feeling well and busy living and I'm sorry to hear of your uncertain scan results.  Since you just finished chemo and treatments for clots, I'm hopeful that it's just your body taking care of itself.  I'm saying a prayer for you and hope the next scan clears things up.

Well wishes,

Tracey

I echo Tracey's words

Wish I could lend more scientific or medical knowledge, but I can't. Lori's take on things sounds like something to read, re-read, and believe in - and since she's been there, it's likely correct.

ALL my best wishes to you, Katheryn. I wish for you everything good in this world.