bye, bye insurance....

Options
2»

Comments

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options

Just curious...

Previous to Obamacare my husband paid $1000 per month for his health insurance and mine was $650. After we signed up for health insurance through Obamacare both of our premiums went down drastically and our insurance has covered everything so far. We seem to be the only ones who don't hate Obamacare and I can't figure out why it has worked out so well for us and not others? I mean we had to pay about $5000 out of pocket for radiation and chemo but the insurance company has been billed about $275,000 to date. I am just wondering why does it seem like peoples insurance is not covering things? Is it due to the plan that you are chosing? If you choose the least expensive plan does it not cover anything? I am just gathering information because it is time to sign up again and now more than ever we have some decisions to make about insurance. We need to choose carefully and weigh all the options and the information gathered here is so important. We sacrifice to pay for one of the better insurance plans and I'm wondering if that is why they cover so much and is it worth it??

So sorry that you are having finacial troubles on top of all the medical issues. It really is the icing on the cake isn't it??

I wish I knew

the answers.  We choose the middle of the road plan usually.  Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.  It's still a hefty amount each month and it covers pretty much nothing.  With me being 2 1/2 years out of tx, the insurance sees no reason for me to even go to the doctor.  It's been a very stressful mess.  I was so excited to actually HAVE coverage, but to find out that it truly hasn't done anything for me. Premiums have tripled for next year.  We just can't do it. 

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options

Just curious...

Previous to Obamacare my husband paid $1000 per month for his health insurance and mine was $650. After we signed up for health insurance through Obamacare both of our premiums went down drastically and our insurance has covered everything so far. We seem to be the only ones who don't hate Obamacare and I can't figure out why it has worked out so well for us and not others? I mean we had to pay about $5000 out of pocket for radiation and chemo but the insurance company has been billed about $275,000 to date. I am just wondering why does it seem like peoples insurance is not covering things? Is it due to the plan that you are chosing? If you choose the least expensive plan does it not cover anything? I am just gathering information because it is time to sign up again and now more than ever we have some decisions to make about insurance. We need to choose carefully and weigh all the options and the information gathered here is so important. We sacrifice to pay for one of the better insurance plans and I'm wondering if that is why they cover so much and is it worth it??

So sorry that you are having finacial troubles on top of all the medical issues. It really is the icing on the cake isn't it??

It's a catch 22...

Those folks caught in the mid range income.....like trying to raise kids, have a house, eat....your general middle, middle class....don't qualify for subsidies, and can barely afford the cheaper plans.....these folks are living pretty much pay check to pay check, but their kids have reasonable clothes (Penny's)....school events or sports....food (not cheap anymore at all).....vehicles, gasoline....you know....all the stuff it takes just to run a household with no expensive amenities....my neighbors don't have cable TV, and they just got internet less than a year ago (they had just used my wireless on good days when it worked).  Food costs them $1200 a month for a family of 4...and they do eat well...healthy.  They gross about $90,000 a year....Obamacare would cost them a bundle per month....and that would force them to take a lesser plan.  Some plans the deductable is $12,000.....and gawd know they don't have that. 

You say your rads only cost $5000 out of pocket....well that's a LOT more than many people could ever come up with....or pay off over the course of years.....as the payments would have to be small in order to pay for Obamacare every month, too.  It's a vicious circle.  Then to top it off.....people who got put on Medicaid because they couldn't afford insurance at all.....have to find Drs. that will take Medicaid....and that ain't easy either. 

p

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    hwt said:

Tracy

So sorry you have insurance worrries. Just not right. Wish i had a solution to offer but sadly nothing.