Should I go for this Chemotherepy?

Greetings to every member of this family!! My father has been diagnosed with stage four esophageal cancer at GE Junction. He is 75 years old and is quite week (42 Kgs) now. Doctors has prescribed Palliative Chemotherapy for him with injections Carboplatin AUC 5 and Paclitaxel 175mg/m3. I've heard about severe side-effects of Chimo and really don't want to go for this. If someone can please share their experience and suggest what I should do at this time. Is there any alternative available? I am very new to all this so please help.

Thank you!!
Sushant Kumar Dubey

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Not all patients have significant side effects from chemotherapy

Most cancer patients who receive chemotherapy have some side effects, but not all patients have severe side effects, that can’t be effectively managed, and negatively affect quality of life. If your father is under the care of a good palliative oncologist they should be able to improve your father’s quality of life during the time he has remaining. Side effects of the two drugs you are describing typically include, nausea, fatigue, dry irritated tissues in the mouth, and diarrhea. Not all patients have these side effects; and when they do, there are medication based interventions that can improve or eliminate the side effects.

I would suggest that your father discuss the potential side effects with his oncologist and then decide if he wishes to try a few rounds of chemotherapy to see what the outcome will be. Chemotherapy can always be stopped or the dosage reduced if side effects become an issue.

I found when I had chemotherapy that I had all the side effects listed above to a certain extent. However,  I also found that, working with my oncologist, we could manage the side effects. We did regular IV hydration, medications to address the nausea and diarrhea, and dosage reduction for the mouth irritation. Oncologists have become more skilled in managing the side effects of chemotherapy as time has gone by. I am not trying to suggest that chemotherapy is easy; because it is not. But side effects can be managed and if your father decides it is impacting his quality of life to an unacceptable level then he can always make a decision to stop.  

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/2009 T2N1M0  Stage IIB - Ivor Lewis Surgery  12/3/2009
    Post Surgery Chemotherapy 2/2009 – 6/2009 Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Five Year Survivor