Book Recommendation - Eating on the Wild Side

Editgrl
Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member

The author, Jo Robinson, has written a fascinating book about how we have manipulated and hybridized a lot of the nutrients out of our fruits and vegetables over hundreds of years.  But, she offers information on how to select and/or grow the most nutritious varieties as well as the best ways to store and cook them to retain the most beneficial elements.  And there are some interesting surprises.  Who knew that all apples are not created equal when it comes to nutrition?  I am halfway through it, and I am hooked.  Highly recommended for those of you who are concerned about getting the most nutrients out of your produce.

Comments

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Thanks, Editgrl!

that sounds quite interesting. I will see about buying this book as I think nutrition -although not likely to cure me- may help prolong my life.

Wamly,

Cathy

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Abbycat2 said:

Thanks, Editgrl!

that sounds quite interesting. I will see about buying this book as I think nutrition -although not likely to cure me- may help prolong my life.

Wamly,

Cathy

I am going to check it out

If I can manage some of the side effects I will be a happy camper.  I also have Anti- cancer which I use as a reference book and it has been helpful.

hugs ladies!  Anne

• Editgrl
    AWK said:

I am going to check it out

If I can manage some of the side effects I will be a happy camper.  I also have Anti- cancer which I use as a reference book and it has been helpful.

hugs ladies!  Anne

The subject of diet

is always a hot topic on these boards.   Anti-Cancer was the first cancer book I got after my diagnosis and it has been incredibly helpful and empowering. The above book has a lot of information that has helped me make the most of my fruits and vegetables, and I haven't even finished the book yet!   I figure that anything I can do to allow my body to take full advantage of the nutrition I provide it has to help it become stronger and more resistant to a lot of diseases, including cancer.  I want to be able to make my body the strongest little cancer-fighting machine it can be!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Editgrl said:

The subject of diet

is always a hot topic on these boards.   Anti-Cancer was the first cancer book I got after my diagnosis and it has been incredibly helpful and empowering. The above book has a lot of information that has helped me make the most of my fruits and vegetables, and I haven't even finished the book yet!   I figure that anything I can do to allow my body to take full advantage of the nutrition I provide it has to help it become stronger and more resistant to a lot of diseases, including cancer.  I want to be able to make my body the strongest little cancer-fighting machine it can be!

I agree!

I read the Anti-Cancer book when I was going through treatments.  While I don't believe we can "cure" cancer by diet alone, I do believe that the healthier we are, the better prepared and strong our bodies are in order to make it through treatments and probably even delay any disease progression (assuming it is progressing).  I write this after just consuming the rest of the Halloween candy . . . but it's gone now . . .

Suzanne

• Editgrl

I agree!

I read the Anti-Cancer book when I was going through treatments.  While I don't believe we can "cure" cancer by diet alone, I do believe that the healthier we are, the better prepared and strong our bodies are in order to make it through treatments and probably even delay any disease progression (assuming it is progressing).  I write this after just consuming the rest of the Halloween candy . . . but it's gone now . . .

Suzanne

All things in moderation!

I was just glad that I only had a small amount of Halloween candy left.  I gave out all the stuff I like, anyway!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Editgrl said:

All things in moderation!

I was just glad that I only had a small amount of Halloween candy left.  I gave out all the stuff I like, anyway!

Halloween Candy

You are lucky! Candy is always at my house. My husband is a sweet freak. And, gets away with it! All of his tests come back incredibly good. He has great genes I guess.

He goes to Walmart the day after Halloween and stocks up.  I bet we have a good 20 pounds of candy in the kitchen now.  At least for now, sweets don't call out to me.  I think that is a gift from Chemo.  :-)  I do confess though, I was able to eat some cookies and candy on my good week.  Just a little, but it tasted good.

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    So confusing

Of course, like most of you, we have read everything we can find about cancer but there is so much conflicting information.  I am trying to control some of the side effects of the chemo without even worrying if it's curing or helping control the cancer.  

Eat raw vegetables, don't eat raw vegetables, don't eat tomatoes or oranges, but get plenty of vitamin C, avoid cruciferous vegetables..........take into account I've had IBS my whole life, esophagitis for the FIRST time in my life and honestly, after talking with my doctor, have gone back to my regular diet.  Coffee, orange juice and a small sweet in the morning, half a sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce for lunch and last night, chicken stir fry with a side order of cooked carrots for dinner.  Some nights before I've gone to bed I've had a cup of Campbells chicken noodle soup to get extra salt.  

Take care,

Eldri

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member

Halloween Candy

You are lucky! Candy is always at my house. My husband is a sweet freak. And, gets away with it! All of his tests come back incredibly good. He has great genes I guess.

He goes to Walmart the day after Halloween and stocks up.  I bet we have a good 20 pounds of candy in the kitchen now.  At least for now, sweets don't call out to me.  I think that is a gift from Chemo.  :-)  I do confess though, I was able to eat some cookies and candy on my good week.  Just a little, but it tasted good.

LOL

My husband does just about the same thing.  This year he went to Costco before Halloween and stocked up for trick or treaters with a box of 30 full sized candy bars and a giant bag of mini bars.  We had 2 trick or treaters.  Tomorrow we will see if he finds more at Walmart.  Lou Ann

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member

So confusing

Of course, like most of you, we have read everything we can find about cancer but there is so much conflicting information.  I am trying to control some of the side effects of the chemo without even worrying if it's curing or helping control the cancer.  

Eat raw vegetables, don't eat raw vegetables, don't eat tomatoes or oranges, but get plenty of vitamin C, avoid cruciferous vegetables..........take into account I've had IBS my whole life, esophagitis for the FIRST time in my life and honestly, after talking with my doctor, have gone back to my regular diet.  Coffee, orange juice and a small sweet in the morning, half a sandwich on whole wheat bread with lettuce for lunch and last night, chicken stir fry with a side order of cooked carrots for dinner.  Some nights before I've gone to bed I've had a cup of Campbells chicken noodle soup to get extra salt.  

Take care,

Eldri

I agree

It is very confusing.  I was given a booklet when I firsted statred with all of this that had diet suggetions for various tummy issues, constpation, diarrhea, losing weight agining weight, ect.  It was somewhat helpful.  The only time I had a docyor make suggerstion was when i was havinf radiation.  It was everyting that wasn't what was on whay you would thing of as a healthy diet.  Cooked frit an veggies, white bread and rice.  Everything had to be easy to digest to help with the diarrhea that often comes with radiation.Now I do try to eat healthy  am also under the idae that i will eat what makes me happy.  I am not a real fan of sweets , but I am a saltaholic.  Lou Ann