First chemo went good

Options
EZLiving66
EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
edited October 2015 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

I had my first chemo yesterday at noon and I was home by 3:30.  That was really good time because I didn't have any adverse reaction to it.  I'm having Taxotere and Carboplatin after a steroid which takes about 15 minutes.  I took the Miralax as a lot of your recommended and have been drinking so much I have a path worn from my chair to the bathroom.  I took the anti-nausea drug about one this morning and ate half a banana.  My chemo nurse said to keep something in my stomach and I hadn't eaten since around five - just some soup and toast - so I think that was part of it.  I've been fine today so I'm trying to get things done around the house.  I can take a shower tonight - that will be nice - and can take the bandage off my port site and the cut in my neck where they threaded the tube through.  He said to just keep the steri-strips on until they peel off on their own.

My chemo nurse suggested I find a support group.  I told her I HAD and they are a wealth of knowledge and support!!

I'm trying to be really careful not to catch anything and ran the bathroom glasses, soap containers, toothbrush holders, etc. through the dishwasher and just washed all our bedding.  I try not to touch anything at the hospital either, using their hand sanitizers all the time.  After I caught some super bug 20 years ago after my gall bladder surgery and almost died I'm not taking any chances!!!

I was joking with my facebook friends that I'm going to try and sing away this cancer if chemo doesn't work.  My sister who is also an awful singer like me said she'd come back from China and my brother said he'd bring his accordion if I thought it would help.  I was laughing so hard at the messages people were posting I was crying!!  And....if singing doesn't work, I'm going to try laughing!!  Cool

I have a question!  When I was diagnosed my CA125 was 14; after surgery it was 11 and on Tuesday, right before my chemo, it was 10.  I was going to ask my chemo nurse about it but I forgot.  

Take care my friends!

Eldri

Comments

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You are so funny!

I am getting my chemo as I type this.  Now I feel like I should be singing!  On food just graze and obviously you know about the hydration part.  Don't wait to feel nauseous before taking the meds for the next day or two.  

My girlfrinds and I used to have theme songs like in the tv show Ally McBeal.  I need to remember what mine Was!

hugs!  Be gentle with yourself!  Anne

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    AWK said:

You are so funny!

I am getting my chemo as I type this.  Now I feel like I should be singing!  On food just graze and obviously you know about the hydration part.  Don't wait to feel nauseous before taking the meds for the next day or two.  

My girlfrinds and I used to have theme songs like in the tv show Ally McBeal.  I need to remember what mine Was!

hugs!  Be gentle with yourself!  Anne

I'm sending both of you lots

I'm sending both of you lots of positive vibes, love and hugs with hopes that your impacts stay minimal! 

Keep your positive attitudes. You both made me smile.

I'm still enjoying my off weeks and don't have to face the next chemo until a week from Thursday. WITH the hopes that it is easier than this last one! :-)

Take care!

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Glad it went well, Eldri

Sounds like you are being proactive in regards to possible side effects and that always helps.  For me, days 3 and 4 post are the "bad" days where my energy level drops.  Those are the days I make sure I have food that I don't have to prepare so all I have to do is heat up and eat. Friends know that those are the days, and for a few days afterwards, that I really appreciate food deliveries!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Eldri, this is good stuff.

Eldri, this is good stuff.  What was your question about on the CA125?   

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

Eldri, this is good stuff.

Eldri, this is good stuff.  What was your question about on the CA125?   

My doctor said

My doctor told me after my hysterectomy that my CA125 would jump because of the trama on my belly.  It didn't; it dropped.  Now yesterday before chemo, it had dropped again.  Are there people who can't use the CA125 test to check how the chemo is working??

Take care,

Eldri

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options

My doctor said

My doctor told me after my hysterectomy that my CA125 would jump because of the trama on my belly.  It didn't; it dropped.  Now yesterday before chemo, it had dropped again.  Are there people who can't use the CA125 test to check how the chemo is working??

Take care,

Eldri

My team doesn't

They track it but I have been told it isn't a great marks for me as it bounces all over the place.  Up and down.  But insurance requires the test.  I am also tested for Ca19 for pancreatic cancer which has been consistent.  This is due to the mets on my kidneys.  

All fascinating!  And I am still working on that theme song!  Anne

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options

My doctor said

Take care,

Eldri

That wasn't my experience but

That wasn't my experience on my CA125 but everyone is different so maybe others can jump in.  I think mine jumped a little right after surgery to its highest of 36 and dropped all along, making stops at a lot of 8's, some 6's, a couple 5, and holding around 6.  I don't think it is a good marker for me but it is a tool, and easy enough to track.  

I remember being told of "flu like symptoms" in the days following chemo.  I don't get body aches when I get sick but now I know what body aches are!  I felt like an 85 year old woman.  I also remember being told to be careful re: people being sick, etc...in the days following the chemo.  I kept my hands to myself.  I avoided touching door handles, I used only my own pen, I avoided getting sick - lucky.  

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am so glad everything went

I am so glad everything went well for you.  I always felt good for the 1st couple of days.  Body aches set in on the 3rd day and lasted about 2-3 days, fatigue also set in at that time and loss of appitite.  At the 1 week mark, I was usually feeling pretty good again

CA 125.  Anything below 35 is concidered normal.  Mine is really accurate.  It has been as low as 5  and if it starts to rise there is something going on.  After surgery 7 weeks ago it was at 100.4/  Hoping this was partially from the trauma to my abdomen.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Sisters three
    Sisters three Member Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lou Ann M said:

I am so glad everything went

I am so glad everything went well for you.  I always felt good for the 1st couple of days.  Body aches set in on the 3rd day and lasted about 2-3 days, fatigue also set in at that time and loss of appitite.  At the 1 week mark, I was usually feeling pretty good again

CA 125.  Anything below 35 is concidered normal.  Mine is really accurate.  It has been as low as 5  and if it starts to rise there is something going on.  After surgery 7 weeks ago it was at 100.4/  Hoping this was partially from the trauma to my abdomen.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Keep up the laughing!

Laughing and SINGING, may be the best medicine.

Lisa

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Keep up the laughing!

Laughing and SINGING, may be the best medicine.

Lisa

Ca-125 is only a gauge

and really not that exact as a measure for cancer. I never had this test before surgery and when I did, 2 weeks after surgery, it was only 22. I don't think it is a good measure for me. However, in all the reading I've done of scientific research on this subject, if you have UPSC even a relatively small rise within the normal range could be suggestive of a recurrence.

Wishing each of you all good health, happiness and long life,

Cathy