Happy end to a hard month

Ladies, I have been holding back.  This has been a tough month at our house.  My father-in-law died, and then on the day of the funeral our son-in-law's lung collapsed requiring major surgery.  I ended up with spots in my left breast from a recent mammogram so more testing there, and a CT to be done to see if the treatment plan I have been following (a little to one side of mainstream) is even working.  So, first, my son-in-law is back on his feet and doing great.  The followup breast work revealed no breast cancer (Yay!!).  But the best, the absolute best were the CT Scan reports yesterday.  Nothing new and everything is shrinking!!!  There had been a couple of spots on my liver previously that were too small to identify and they are smaller still.  My lymph nodes are all shrinking (that was the only area of recurrance) so it appears everything is working!!!  I have no tumors.

For those who didn't know before, I was diagnosed with UPSC, Stage IV in Jan. 2014.  Surgery, radiation, chemo left me at NED, but developed a recurrance in my lymph nodes last Dec.  Started on Doxil but had a horrific reaction.  Took time to heal and then started on Avastin by itself with my regular oncologist.  I also added a naturopathic oncologist who sent my files to a clinic in Germany that she consults with.  Together they put me on a pretty significant regimen of supplements (that they switch up every 90 days) and mistletoe injections that I give myself 3x a week.  Everyone works well together.  On my own I walk 5 miles a day and stick to a very organic, sugar free (I'm diabetic), mostly gluten free diet.  I do eat fish and checken but stick to organic meat and fresh wild caught fist, no farm raised.  This is what I felt I could do.  I eat TONS of veggies, but am not vegetarian. Also lots of green smoothies.

It has been a gamble.  I know my oncologist and my surgeon were worried, but I feel confident this is the right approach for me at this time. I feel like it is Xmas at Halloween!!!!  Just wanted to share in case there is anyone out there who has UPSC, Stage IV, and feels discouraged.  Stay strong!!  Anything is possible.  Love you all, Helen  

Comments

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    Well, Helen

This was just the best news to click onto.  Keep it up!

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    So glad to see your post!

I have had you on the brain!  I am sorry about the loss of your father in law - I trust it was a life well lived and memories will help with the loss.  Glad to hear your son in law is on the road to recovery.  Now onto you!  Thanks for sharing your uplifting and wonderful news!  I am so happy for you and inspired by you!  

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    I'm glad you're doing so good

It's encouraging to hear how good you're doing, especially to someone just starting this journey.

Take care,

Eldri

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Wow, what a month!

I am so glad it is ending on a high note. I hope your father in law did not suffer. Congratulations on such a great turn around. It sounds like this is the right treatment for you. Sandy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Sandy3185 said:

Wow, what a month!

I am so glad it is ending on a high note. I hope your father in law did not suffer. Congratulations on such a great turn around. It sounds like this is the right treatment for you. Sandy

Helen

Such great news to hear!  This is the stuff that keeps all of us going!  YIPPEE!

Sorry for your loss too. I love what Anne said about him having a great life that left you full of memories.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Very good news!

So happy to hear this kind of news and glad the month is ending on a high note for you!

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    So happy that the month ended

So happy that the month ended up with such good news for you.  We all need to go with what we are comfortable with, and I am glad this is working for you.  Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    Thanks everyone...

It is certainly a journey, is it not?  I forgot to mention that I also joined a meditation group that my church sponsors and it has helped tremendously.  I have found there are lots of tool in the tool chest.  I have also worked significantly on my spirituality and belief system and that has helped as well.  At the moment, I am just happy and staying focused on enjoing each precious moment.  My next CT scan won't be until after the holidays so I get to coast through the holidays with these good feelings.  Yay!  Thanks for all the kind words, and know that you are all held in my thoughts each and every day. - Helen

• daylady
    daylady Member Posts: 122
    AWK said:

So glad to see your post!

I have had you on the brain!  I am sorry about the loss of your father in law - I trust it was a life well lived and memories will help with the loss.  Glad to hear your son in law is on the road to recovery.  Now onto you!  Thanks for sharing your uplifting and wonderful news!  I am so happy for you and inspired by you!  

I have bee thinking about you

I have bee thinking about you too and hoping all is well? 

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    Made my night. Determination wins out.

Helen ,I am overjoyed to read this , datta way to go girl, don't just stick with the dismal samo-samo. There are many seas , swim without fear into difference.Thanks to the creator for any part played but most of all to you for waking up to the reality that one size does not fit all and realizing that a lot of the cancer oncologists means well but they are in the same la la land that we are wondering on.paddling for dear life with just chemo and radiation appearing to be the only boat passing.Look yonder, Bravo!! nothing can wipe this smile off of my face.

I am hugging  you both, and saying  I Love You, as if you don't already know.

Moli.

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    molimoli said:

Made my night. Determination wins out.

Helen ,I am overjoyed to read this , datta way to go girl, don't just stick with the dismal samo-samo. There are many seas , swim without fear into difference.Thanks to the creator for any part played but most of all to you for waking up to the reality that one size does not fit all and realizing that a lot of the cancer oncologists means well but they are in the same la la land that we are wondering on.paddling for dear life with just chemo and radiation appearing to be the only boat passing.Look yonder, Bravo!! nothing can wipe this smile off of my face.

I am hugging  you both, and saying  I Love You, as if you don't already know.

Moli.

Helen, you have been on my mind

and I am very happy to see and read your post.  You and your family certainly had a lot to deal with in the last month or so.  Your news about the shrinking tumors is wonderful, like an early Christmas present.  This is the kind of news we so want to hear about! 

Warm Wishes, Cathy

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    daylady said:

I have bee thinking about you

I have bee thinking about you too and hoping all is well? 

Overall things are well

My last round of scans revealed a new lesion in my abdominal muscle near my spleen.  That should be biopsied in the next week or so.  I am not worried and neither is my doctor.  The good news is underneath it all I have abs!  

Otherwise I am stable and dealing with anemia.  I still get out for horseback rides and grooming - my mental therapy!  It is about how we live!

hugs  - Anne