Looking for young female spouse caregivers

EmilyM1006
EmilyM1006 Member Posts: 2

My husband was diagnosed on his 20th birthday with testicular cancer. It totally caught us off guard, we had been together for several years. He had one of his testicles removed, then we thought everything was okay. Exactly 2 weeks later, he had a seizure. We found out my husband had a brain tumor the size of a lemon, completely unrelated to his testicualr cancer. Every doctor we talk to is completely stumped as to why he had two different cancers; both completely unrelated. Well that was 3 1/2 years ago, he has relapsed testicular cancer, radiation, chemo, and much more. He has a grade 2 asterocytoma brain tumor, which is not curable. He is estimated to live 8 to 10 years. We have an amazing life, great family, and an amazing bond that cancer has given us. We have been together 6 years now. I am having a hard time finding friends who understand. I really wish I had someone I could talk to and vent to about all of this so I can move on with my life and start living, we are so young. Thank you for reading. 

Comments

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    I didn't want to read and not respond...

but I am so sorry you Re going through all this. My husband and I aren't as young as you, but still young (I am 39, he is 40). And my husband was just diagnosed this week with tongue cancer. I too am finding it hard to find people to talk to or vent with. No one understands how I feel. I am still in the shock/it isn't fair stage. I just wanted to offer up my prayers, hugs, and an ear if you want to talk or vent. 

• cheatinlil
    cheatinlil Member Posts: 197
    swopoe said:

I didn't want to read and not respond...

but I am so sorry you Re going through all this. My husband and I aren't as young as you, but still young (I am 39, he is 40). And my husband was just diagnosed this week with tongue cancer. I too am finding it hard to find people to talk to or vent with. No one understands how I feel. I am still in the shock/it isn't fair stage. I just wanted to offer up my prayers, hugs, and an ear if you want to talk or vent. 

I'm sorry you are both here. 

I'm sorry you are both here.  I too am a caregiver.  My husband has stage 4 kidney cancer.  I'm 47 and my husband is 58.  He hasn't worked since June and we are considering him applying for Social Security Disability and not going back to work.  I think it will prolong his life to not have the stress of work.  I'm overwhelmed with the responsiblity of it but want him here as long as possible.  I'm here for you both!

• cbrandon
    cbrandon Member Posts: 1

I'm sorry you are both here. 

I'm sorry you are both here.  I too am a caregiver.  My husband has stage 4 kidney cancer.  I'm 47 and my husband is 58.  He hasn't worked since June and we are considering him applying for Social Security Disability and not going back to work.  I think it will prolong his life to not have the stress of work.  I'm overwhelmed with the responsiblity of it but want him here as long as possible.  I'm here for you both!

HI ladies

Hi there, I am new here as of today.  My boyfriend has stage 3 brain cancer and I am getting to a point where I don't even know what to do anymore.  I need an outlet, other than my friends that don't get it and his Mom, who I love!  I want a safe place to vent and talk to other ladies that understand.  This seems like a safe place? 

• cheatinlil
    cheatinlil Member Posts: 197
    cbrandon said:

HI ladies

Hi there, I am new here as of today.  My boyfriend has stage 3 brain cancer and I am getting to a point where I don't even know what to do anymore.  I need an outlet, other than my friends that don't get it and his Mom, who I love!  I want a safe place to vent and talk to other ladies that understand.  This seems like a safe place? 

CBranden
    I'm so sorry we are

CBranden

I'm so sorry we are both here!  Yes, this is a safe place.  This board is not very active but I'm trying to check it and respond more often.  Hang in there. 

• HOPE610
    HOPE610 Member Posts: 28
    Hope

Ladies,

I am certainly not as young as you, but I consider myself young.  Unfortunately cancer does not discriminate.

I am here because a few weeks back I had a meltdown after a ACS Relay For Life meeting.  Luckily, I was amoung friends and people that I hold dear.  They were all there because they have been touched by cancer.  They know my husband and our story.  The offered love and let me cry.  My husband is a 5 1/2 year stage IV prostate cancer survivor.  Since June of 2010, we have been on the roller coaster ride of cancer.  I too finally needed an outlet.  Even with all of my involvement with the American Cancer Society, I had never really tapped their resources. 

My advice is to live everyday with love, cherish every moment (even the most mundane) and find a reason to laugh.  Find your outlet.  Mine is ACS Relay For Life.  Through it I find support and I have made some lifelong friends.  It allows me to feel like I am doing something to help.  I thnk we are all here to help and in return we hope to find the help and support we need along the way.

Hugs and Take care.

• michbellewood
    michbellewood Member Posts: 1
    We're young too

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3b a year ago and we're 28. He completed radiation and chemo and we thought we were in the clear until they fround a lesion in his brain (likely a metastasis from the lungs) and now we're dealing with the lung cancer again. We also have a beautiful 18 month old daughter. It's hard. I get it. 

• HOPE610
    HOPE610 Member Posts: 28

We're young too

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3b a year ago and we're 28. He completed radiation and chemo and we thought we were in the clear until they fround a lesion in his brain (likely a metastasis from the lungs) and now we're dealing with the lung cancer again. We also have a beautiful 18 month old daughter. It's hard. I get it. 

Hope

I am so very sorry!  I pray you have a lot of support and love in your life.  Hug that baby girl and make memories.  I wish I could offer you more.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.