Starting Week five. What about the feeding tube?

Options
2»

Comments

• donfoo
    donfoo Member Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

PEG for me

I had a PEG put in late in the game.  I only had 1 1/2 weeks left of rads and started vomiting all day, every day.  I couldn't eat or drink anything but water (and keep it down) for FIVE whole days.  They decided that I was dehydrated and showing signs of malnourishment, so they put in the PEG.  It literally saved me and gave me energy to finish the treatments.  I was terrified and did NOT want it, but I am glad I did.  It was not really too big of a deal getting it in or removed.  I wish you all the best!! 

Hey..

Give us some credit! We helped as much as the PEG. I remember that tough stretch were you were DONE and ready to quit. Glad we were here, right?

So glad to hear you are all doing well (except for the insurance BS)

Don

• Kenny-
    Kenny- Member Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Same situation

ocmark,

I'm also at week 6 out of 7 (specifically 27 / 35), with 8 more radiations to go; or put it simply 11 more calendar days before the end of radiation. I'm having a similar dillema. I'm REALLY trying to get through without the PEG. I can still swallow, drink, but it hurts especially in the morning when I have to 'stretch' my mouth you can just feel that everything is 'tearing' - sort of like a wound that wasn't heal re-tears. Currently on a 100% liquid blended smoothie diet. It's digusting just trying to keep those calories up been blending all kinds of off things with an average of 4 bottles of Ensure a day. 

My doctor? They're all warning that I may need a PEG if I keep losing weight. But they're on the fence, they think I may make it but it's going to take some wilpower.

I expect to be like this for at least another 20 calendar days (since it also takes time to heal after hitting the bottom). Psycologically, it's not going to be easy but I'm going to try! I'll let you know if I changed my mind half way. 

Good luck to the both of us!

• ted-n-ellie
    ted-n-ellie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    feeding tube

I can't believe you don't have a tube in already or even before you started your treatment.  My husband had one put in prior to starting his chemo and radiation therapy and what a life saver.  There is absolutely no way he would survive without it.  He cannot swallow anything.  He is still not doing well at all but.....

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Kenny- said:

Same situation

ocmark,

I'm also at week 6 out of 7 (specifically 27 / 35), with 8 more radiations to go; or put it simply 11 more calendar days before the end of radiation. I'm having a similar dillema. I'm REALLY trying to get through without the PEG. I can still swallow, drink, but it hurts especially in the morning when I have to 'stretch' my mouth you can just feel that everything is 'tearing' - sort of like a wound that wasn't heal re-tears. Currently on a 100% liquid blended smoothie diet. It's digusting just trying to keep those calories up been blending all kinds of off things with an average of 4 bottles of Ensure a day. 

My doctor? They're all warning that I may need a PEG if I keep losing weight. But they're on the fence, they think I may make it but it's going to take some wilpower.

I expect to be like this for at least another 20 calendar days (since it also takes time to heal after hitting the bottom). Psycologically, it's not going to be easy but I'm going to try! I'll let you know if I changed my mind half way. 

Kenny

I wish you luck and I am certainly keeping you and all the others who are on the bus right now in my prayers. I'm going to warn you however that you can feel pretty yucky up to 4-5 weeks AFTER the last radiation tx. I know my husband had this 2 week framework in his mind for some reason and when it took longer than that he was disappointed and got depressed. Just be prepared for it to take a while.

Barbara

• TracyLynn72
    TracyLynn72 Member Posts: 839
    Options
    donfoo said:

Hey..

Give us some credit! We helped as much as the PEG. I remember that tough stretch were you were DONE and ready to quit. Glad we were here, right?

So glad to hear you are all doing well (except for the insurance BS)

Don

Y'all helped probably MORE

than the Peg.  It gave me nourishment, but y'all gave me the kick in the butt I needed!!!  You know I love my CSN family!!  Smile

• Kenny-
    Options
    Barbaraek said:

Kenny

I wish you luck and I am certainly keeping you and all the others who are on the bus right now in my prayers. I'm going to warn you however that you can feel pretty yucky up to 4-5 weeks AFTER the last radiation tx. I know my husband had this 2 week framework in his mind for some reason and when it took longer than that he was disappointed and got depressed. Just be prepared for it to take a while.

Barbara

going to get myself mentally ready

Thanks Barbaraek, I'm going to get myself mentally ready for it.

He and I probably had the two weeks for the same thoughts - It takes about 1-2 weeks to recover from normal sports injury; just using the same analogy. 

• ocmark
    ocmark Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Kenny- said:

Same situation

ocmark,

7 WEEKS!

Hi Kenny

Thanks for the input. WOWO! 7 weeks of treatment? I had 6 and couldn't have gone another day. Let me know how it's going, OK?

• Kenny-
    Options
    Completed 7 weeks rads

Ocmark, I've completed 7 weeks rads. Have a thread here.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/298266

Still no PEG tube, but I don't think I'll complain if I had one! But yes, i can eat liquid food, it's not too hard (been about 10 days since the last rads) but I still need painkillers and magic mouthwash to "numb" it all. The throat still hurts, and cough just makes it worse. More on the other thread above! :) Good luck! 

How are you feeling?

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options