How comfortable are you talking about your illness?

Options
2»

Comments

• lizard44
    lizard44 Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    No problem

talking about it.  I agree with a lot of  what Sue said, although I am one of those folks who does post on facebook and  have blogged about my experience. Sometimes people respond  with comments about how much they  admire me, etc. That is sort of uncomfortable , but I've also had several people message me that  seeing my posts did make them rethink their  attitude about  Stage 4 cancer being an imminent death sentence and my updates are helpful to them. Others have  said they got colonoscopies or mammograms, etc. as a result of my posts, so I think generally, it's been good. Now, like Danker, I'm hooked up to a portable pump five days a week for  five weeks, so I may have  people comment on it, although most of the time I can keep it hidden under my clothes.  I haven't gotten any special treatment that I'm aware of though.  How does that work, anyway?? Wink

Grace

• RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    encouraging other

I will bring up my cancer story if i feel I might enourage someone going through something tough or by way of explanation if I am covered in poo and need to recover some of my dignity.  With my second DX my sergeon and onc said I "should make sure my affairs were in order."  Well here I am - through it all.  Alive, well and kicking. People need hope and if I can bring them some by sharing my story, I do. Plus many ppl don't feel like they can't really ask for help, but once they know I am a cancer survivor, they are more willing to ask because I have been through it.  At least that it my thought on why they don't seem to mind AFTER I tell them.  Plus, telling my cancer story gives me a chance to share my poop stories, which still make me chuckle.  I just wish thye had that effect at the time.

best wishes,

Rick

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've always been very open about my cancer

And my openness has resulted in people asking me questions, and dealing with their own or their family's diagnoses better.  I've become a resource, and I'm glad to be able to help others.  In my work, it has been helpful, as I am a health insurance broker, and when I mention my cancer, people know that I do understand what they are going through and what their priorities need to be.

I'm fortunate that despite my stage 4 diagnosis, at 8+ years out, I am doing great, and am able to be out there doing for myself and others.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    abrub said:

I've always been very open about my cancer

And my openness has resulted in people asking me questions, and dealing with their own or their family's diagnoses better.  I've become a resource, and I'm glad to be able to help others.  In my work, it has been helpful, as I am a health insurance broker, and when I mention my cancer, people know that I do understand what they are going through and what their priorities need to be.

I'm fortunate that despite my stage 4 diagnosis, at 8+ years out, I am doing great, and am able to be out there doing for myself and others.

Hello Alice

I'm so excited for you. 8 + years and going strong. Its all that fresh air and bird some. 

Sue - Trubrit