Cisplatin and Radiation begin Tuesday question??

Options
2»

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    kdot2003 said:

Thank You Jake.  Yes I did

Thank You Jake.  Yes I did have surgery 9 days ago today and its not healed of course.  Radiation and Chemo start Tuesday.  See the worry.  My ENT gave me some steroids to help with the swelling and pain.  Also I am off today to get a port and a tube.  Evidently my med oncologist loves G-tubes, he says all his patients have them.  I am not resistant because I do not want to be dehydrated.  I'm  a nurse and my BFF came and gave me an IV at home on day 3.  Maybe I am a wimp.   The main deal with Tuesday is I am scheduled from 850 in the AM to 1 AM Wednesday between MD appt, chemo and rad.  But I will talk to the scheduler and fix that for next week hopefully.  Karen

My Oncologist was insistant

that I get a G-tube before treatment started.....and when all was said and done, I was glad.  I actually didn't use it at all during rads....but because I had NPC, I had adjuvent chemo....and my tube became my good buddy.  You're right about staying hydrated....I got dehydrated one time, and I felt all sorts of miserable....except thirsty....weak, sick, unable to cope, it was awful.  After that I poured water down my tube....water and 4% milk....that plus the Boost VHC. 

You're not a wimp....well, if you are, we all are.....LOL.  No....none of us are wimps.  My Onc told me that the only treatment that is worse is bone marrow cancer.....One day at a time....one foot in front of the other.....that's the way to get through this.

p

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    kdot2003 said:

Has anyones hair fell out?

Has anyones hair fell out?  Actually I am OK with it.  I dont want a wig just a pretty soft hat/cap thing.  But it looks like people have hair...   

I was blessed to learn my primary is my Pyriform Sinus and all other sites negative...that they biopsied anyways.  That makes a III although MD said treatment was the same for III as IVa.  I am going to find out my exact dose of chemo and rad.  Havent even asked yet.  Well they said 39 treatments...not sure the dose.

Karen

The only place I really

lost hair was a strip along the back hairline....about 2 inches was gone.  This is from the radiation.  Mine grew back in....not as thick as it was before, but good enough I can wear my hair short. 

Cisplatin might make your hair thin out just a tad, but not worth shaving your head. 

As for the mouth sores....ask if they will prescribe Mugard.  A bunch of us used it when it was still a trial med in 2012.  All of us had good luck with it....you have to use it before mouth sores start....it works as a preventative.  Barb also mentioned a new one Gelclair....ask about that one too.

p