3 year anniversary-pyriform sinus ssc

DarcyS
DarcyS Member Posts: 81 Member

Oct 13, 2015 - 4:19 pm

My husband finished treatment three years ago today.  He was diagnosed with ssc in his right pyriform sinus.  At the time he was 55 and a non smoker.  He has always exercised and had a very healthy diet.  He had his treatment at the University of Chicago and we would highly recommend them to anyone. The staff was amazing, results quickly given, and they are a teaching hospital with a tumor board.   His diagnosis was T1N2bM0.  He had 6 weeks of out patient chemotherapy with Taxol, cisplatin, ceteximaub and was part of a study with everolimus.  Next, in patient radiation with imrt(50 sessions)  twice a day and concurrent 24/7 chemotherapy with taxol, 5fu and hydrea.  5 days inpatient with 9 days home for a total of 10 weeks.  Oct. 19, 2012 was his last treatment and he has been NED since.  

I have been reading and learning from everyone here for 21/2  years and thought it was time to register and introduce myself.  Thank you to everyone. You have been a huge help and invaluable resource for us.Login

Comments

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Wow!

That was some intense treatment (50 sessions)! I'm so glad that you introduced yourself, told your story, and most importantly shared your success.

Barbara

• kdot2003
    kdot2003 Member Posts: 143
    Left Pyriform Sinus

I was just diagnosed with L Pyriform sinus SCC mets to lymph nodes.  My panendoscopy and tonsillectomy came back ok.  No other sites.  I am having the 39 treatments with concurrent chemo.  Wow sounds easy compared to yours. I hope its enough. I am at CTCA in Georgia.  So glad to hear of your success.  

• DarcyS
    DarcyS Member Posts: 81 Member
    kdot2003 said:

Left Pyriform Sinus

I was just diagnosed with L Pyriform sinus SCC mets to lymph nodes.  My panendoscopy and tonsillectomy came back ok.  No other sites.  I am having the 39 treatments with concurrent chemo.  Wow sounds easy compared to yours. I hope its enough. I am at CTCA in Georgia.  So glad to hear of your success.  

This site and group of caring

This site and group of caring individuals will be there for you as you continue treatment.  For me, it was hard not being able to find any people with  the same diagnosis as my husband, so I am happy we are able to be here for you.  Although your diagnosis is slightly different from the others, the treatments are very similar.  My husband's course of treatment may be longer than yours, but the doctors do tailor it to the individual.  He didn't have surgery and the 2 radiation sessions a day were at a lesser intensity, this followed the UofC protocol for head and neck cancers.  The treatment is not easy, but doable, and I'm glad his journey can, hopefully, help you on yours.

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Nice to meet you! I'm glad

Nice to meet you! I'm glad you will be here to share your insights with the newcomers.