Thermography

cbokay
cbokay Member Posts: 21 Member
edited October 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

Several months ago I ran across a Certified Thermography Technician and she explained the benefits of this type of screening for detecting breast cancer as opposed to Mamography which isn't always accurate.  I don't know if the health insurance companies have picked it up yet, but I'm going to find out.  As I recall, it was about $200.00 for the screening.  Here is the information that is on her card.

Thermography

Safe Breast Cancer Screening

No Radiation, No Compression

Highly Accurate for Women of all Ages

Are your breast healthy?  Thermography (Infrared Breast Imaging) is a safe, highly accurate, and PDA approved screening tool, useful for all women, regardless of age, breast characteristics, women with inplants, or nursing mothers.

Our goal is to identify the earliest signs of breast tissue changes so we can design a breast health plan that supports a lifetime of healthy breasts.

Rebuttal here:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/examsandtestdescriptions/mammogramsandotherbreastimagingprocedures/mammograms-and-other-breast-imaging-procedures-newer-br-imaging-tests 

My 2-Cents: 

This is all about personal choice and which agency, and procedure, you choose to believe will be effective.  I've had my own personal ups and downs with mammograms.  And although I am not a breast cancer survivor, my sister is, and so I take this very personal.

Comments

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    The reading I have done

The reading I have done indicates they're not as useful as the people who sell them claim. Mammograms are still considered the good standard by those who make it their life's work to cure cancer. If thermography were so great, why hasn't it become more common?

• cbokay
    cbokay Member Posts: 21 Member
    twnkltoz said:

The reading I have done

The reading I have done indicates they're not as useful as the people who sell them claim. Mammograms are still considered the good standard by those who make it their life's work to cure cancer. If thermography were so great, why hasn't it become more common?

The reading I have done

You wrote: "If thermography were so great, why hasn't it become more common?"

Clear and simple, it cost less money than mammograms.  And hospitals survive on money.  As I mentioned in my post, it's all about personal choice.  Both treatments get bad reviews from the professionals.  So who are you going to believe?

A few years back I spoke with an Xray tech about thermography and she was so happy to hear about it and to investigate it.  She admitted that mammograms are not full proof at all and she works in that lab.  And they have brand new technology.

I'll never get another mammogram.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Thermography is not recommended

Thermography only detects one fourth of the cancers that mammography can detect. That means 3 in 4 cancers cannot be detected. This is why it isn't reliable, and mammography is the best tool for finding the smallest tumors. The radiation involved is very minimal these days with digital mammography.  Sometimes I think people are trying to push a certain product on this site, so let's all be careful on the internet....

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    cbokay said:

The reading I have done

You wrote: "If thermography were so great, why hasn't it become more common?"

Clear and simple, it cost less money than mammograms.  And hospitals survive on money.  As I mentioned in my post, it's all about personal choice.  Both treatments get bad reviews from the professionals.  So who are you going to believe?

A few years back I spoke with an Xray tech about thermography and she was so happy to hear about it and to investigate it.  She admitted that mammograms are not full proof at all and she works in that lab.  And they have brand new technology.

I'll never get another mammogram.

cbokay?

Hi cbokay..........   I just went to your home page to see more about you and you didn't provide us with any information really.  Would you be offended if I asked you when you were diagnosed with BC and what has been your journey?  I know for sure that all of us here who are living with Breast Cancer have been sent by our Oncologists for Diagnostic Mammograms and NOT Thermographys.....   If you are a BC Survivor please let us know your story.   Thanks and God Bless....     Glo

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    I'm paying extra for digital 3D mammography

My breast surgeon's office offers digital 3D mammography at a $59 surcharge. I asked everyone there (along with my onc who is at a different office) if they felt it was worth the extra money on my twice a year tests. They explained that this shows 8 slices of the breast and has had a history of reducing biopsies as they are better able to identify cancerous tumors. Evidently Medicare has started to cover this extra charge (to me it is a no-brainer, pay more for tests and do less biopsies--duh). I assume that the insurance industry will start to cover this soon.

I think it is good to take advantage of the new advances, however, I would check with an "independent source" on the quality of the new testing before changing.

Just my opinion.

Hugs,

JoAnn