double mastectomy Oct 26

Options
2»

Comments

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Great News!

I'm so happy for you that the surgery went well and the sentinel node was clear!  

Best, 

Sharon

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bevaschia said:

update after bilateral mastectomy

HI, surgery went well.  A little pain right now, but they are getting me some medicine.  Sentinel node revealed NO cancer.  So happy!  Thank you all for your prayers and waiting in the pink room.  Thoughts, prayers and love for you all.

That's great!

That's great!

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bevaschia said:

update after bilateral mastectomy

HI, surgery went well.  A little pain right now, but they are getting me some medicine.  Sentinel node revealed NO cancer.  So happy!  Thank you all for your prayers and waiting in the pink room.  Thoughts, prayers and love for you all.

thanks for posting

Thanks for giving us an update, so happy to hear your nodes were clear

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53
    Options
    update double mastectomy

Surgery went well and I am getting along good.  Doc called with the results of path.  No cancer in sentinel node and I am stage1.  I still need to do chemo after I heal, probably 4-6 weeks.  I see surgeon tomorrow to hopefully remove the drains.  The incisions are ugly, but for the most part, numb.  I have good range of motion in both arms.  I plan to go back to work if he releases me tomorrow.  Beginning to feel like myself again.  Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers.  So far, I'd say this is all very good news!

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bevaschia said:

update double mastectomy

Surgery went well and I am getting along good.  Doc called with the results of path.  No cancer in sentinel node and I am stage1.  I still need to do chemo after I heal, probably 4-6 weeks.  I see surgeon tomorrow to hopefully remove the drains.  The incisions are ugly, but for the most part, numb.  I have good range of motion in both arms.  I plan to go back to work if he releases me tomorrow.  Beginning to feel like myself again.  Thank you everyone for your well wishes and prayers.  So far, I'd say this is all very good news!

thanks for the update

Good to hear you're doing well, excellent news on clean lymph nodes! Take it slow and don't overdo. Eat healthy, get your strength back, stay away from people with flu and colds to prepare for chemo.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bevaschia said:

update double mastectomy

Wow! Good to know you're

Wow! Good to know you're doing so well already. Congrats on a good outcome, and good luck with chemo!

• spiritualabundance
    Options
    bevaschia said:

update double mastectomy

Bev, So great to hear that

Bev, So great to hear that you are recovering so well. I saw your post and first wanted you to know that I also had my double mastectomy on October 26th. A date we will never forget, I'm sure.

I also have recovered quite well. Went home from the hospital on October 28th. Last pain meds, other than Motrin, taken on 10/29. Drains removed 10/30. Sentinel Node was negative. Her2 (triple positive) tumor grew from 1.2cm to 2.9 within less than 3 months. WHOA! Scary.

One question I have is these awful headaches I am suddenly having. Wondering if you happen to have or have had any headaches?

I am scheduled to start chemo at the end of November. I am going to get a second opinion as far as the course of meds but today's oncologist suggested Taxotere and Carboplatin with Herceptin. Good times.

Just found this board today and glad I did. It's great we can find support in one another!!

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53
    Options

Bev, So great to hear that

Bev, So great to hear that you are recovering so well. I saw your post and first wanted you to know that I also had my double mastectomy on October 26th. A date we will never forget, I'm sure.

I also have recovered quite well. Went home from the hospital on October 28th. Last pain meds, other than Motrin, taken on 10/29. Drains removed 10/30. Sentinel Node was negative. Her2 (triple positive) tumor grew from 1.2cm to 2.9 within less than 3 months. WHOA! Scary.

One question I have is these awful headaches I am suddenly having. Wondering if you happen to have or have had any headaches?

I am scheduled to start chemo at the end of November. I am going to get a second opinion as far as the course of meds but today's oncologist suggested Taxotere and Carboplatin with Herceptin. Good times.

Just found this board today and glad I did. It's great we can find support in one another!!

HI Spiritualabundance.  I was

HI Spiritualabundance.  I was discharged on the 27th.  I'm taking extra strength Tylenol for day pain, but only took two pills today.  At night if I feel restless, take a Victodin.  Seems to help me sleep through the night.  I'm estrogen, progesterone and her2 positive, so I did chemo before surgery and find out when I start chemo after surgery on the 16th.  The drugs you mentioned seem to be what I remember the oncologist mentioning what I will be on.  I can't say I had any headaches, but for about two days after surgery I took the vicodin every four hours and slept whenever possible....I'm sure if I had a headache, I didn't feel it.  How many chemo treatments will you have to take?  I took three before surgery once every three weeks and my mass went from 3.2 cm down to 1.7 cm x 7 mm.  The mastectomy incisions are ugly, and almost kind of look like pouches where the breasts were.  Do yours look like that?  I hope eventually it will all look flat.  I have to wear the compression bra for one more week after the drains were pulled.  That was on Tuesday of this week.  I'm allergic to bandaids, steri

strips, etc....So my incisions were glued with dermabond.  Let's definitely keep in touch on our progress.  We're you also staged at stage 1?

• spiritualabundance
    Options
    bevaschia said:

HI Spiritualabundance.  I was

HI Spiritualabundance.  I was discharged on the 27th.  I'm taking extra strength Tylenol for day pain, but only took two pills today.  At night if I feel restless, take a Victodin.  Seems to help me sleep through the night.  I'm estrogen, progesterone and her2 positive, so I did chemo before surgery and find out when I start chemo after surgery on the 16th.  The drugs you mentioned seem to be what I remember the oncologist mentioning what I will be on.  I can't say I had any headaches, but for about two days after surgery I took the vicodin every four hours and slept whenever possible....I'm sure if I had a headache, I didn't feel it.  How many chemo treatments will you have to take?  I took three before surgery once every three weeks and my mass went from 3.2 cm down to 1.7 cm x 7 mm.  The mastectomy incisions are ugly, and almost kind of look like pouches where the breasts were.  Do yours look like that?  I hope eventually it will all look flat.  I have to wear the compression bra for one more week after the drains were pulled.  That was on Tuesday of this week.  I'm allergic to bandaids, steri

strips, etc....So my incisions were glued with dermabond.  Let's definitely keep in touch on our progress.  We're you also staged at stage 1?

I am also triple positive.

I am also triple positive. Happy Herceptin is an option. Are you a member of the Her2 support group board? It's my favorite. The women there are amazing and supportive, too. I am scheduled to have 6 rounds of chemo, 3 weeks apart. Even though I'm Her2 positive, they opted for me to have surgery first. My lump was 1.2cm and by the time surgery rolled around, about 2.5 months, the tumor measured 2.9cm. My sentinel node came back negative and I am currently at a Stage 2A, grade 3, according to the oncologist yesterday. My incisions were sutured and glued very well. Yes, ugly! Plus the port scar on my right shoulder. YUCK. Under my incision there's like a little boob sitting there. The top, especially on the left where the lump was, you can kind of see more of an indention. (talk about saggy boobs..lol). I just hope that the surgeon spared enough skin as I've opted for delayed reconstruction/implants. I met with the plastic surgeon who did not recommend immediate reconstruction. Since I've had so much discomfort and worry with just the mastectomy, I'm actually glad not to add that discomfort and more worry. I'm adding my bio below and the link for the Her2 support group, if you haven't already joined. I'd absolutely love to keep in touch and would be happy to message you privately in the future. My name is Diane. Looking forward to walking this road with a Her2 Sister. Good luck to you with chemo. If you have any questions, I have been getting some good answers from the support group about what side effects to expect. Talk to you soon!

http://her2support.org/

6/6/2015-Found a lump in my L breast
    6/12/2015-First u/s
    7/2015-Mammogram and 2nd u/s (same day)
    8/7/2015-Needle aspiration u/s biopsy. Doctor indicated looked malignant. (thanks doc!! the wait after that sucked)
    8/20/2015-Diagnosed w ER+,PR+,HER2+ BC in L breast
    9/24/2015-Saw first surgeon, referred by oncologist. Great guy. Office staff not advocates.
    10/12/2015-Met w Plastic Surgeon. Amazing doctor. Recommended not immediate due to chemo and 'just get the cancer out first' attitude. Will do recon with him after chemo is complete.
    10/12/2015-Called first surgeon's office who told me that it's been too long since the first consult and will need to schedule another consult on 10/24 and then schedule surgery within 2-3 AFTER that date. (BITE ME)
    10/12-Found a new surgeon.
    10/15-Consulted with new FEMALE surgeon. She was AMAZING! Asked me if I wanted to do the surgery on Monday (in 5 days). Stunned and thrilled!!
    10/26/15-Surgery for bilateral mastectomy, port placed, and 3 nodes removed for SNB. 3 drains installed.
    10/28/15-home from the hospital to recover.
    10/30/2015-Follow up with surgeon. Drains removed. Was told tumor was removed but had more than doubled in size from 1.3 to 2.9cm. 3 nodes removed, all negative. Healthy breast was clear but several suspicious areas on affected left breast. Looks to be Stage 2A. Oncologist appt next week.
    11/5/2015-Follow up with oncologist. Planning to start chemotherapy (Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carboplatin together beginning November 30th). Very nervous about side effects, low white blood count, anemia, steriods, etc, etc, etc. I'm not usually one to medicate myself for anything. Not ready for this. Kinda scared.