Hubby's first bone marrow biopsy next week. I have questions.

staygold
staygold Member Posts: 8

Hi there.  I'm new here.  My husband, age 65, was just diagnosed with Type B Lymphoma.  His first oncology appointment is next week and he'll have a bone marrow biopsy at that time. My husband is confident and his attitude is great.  I'm more nervous about all of this then he is.  He's not in denial though, he's just feeling optimistic.   Back to the bone marrow....Hubby has only read about what the Mayo Clinic says.  Mayo says "you may feel some pressure" and "there may be some pain".  So, he's figuring on going in there and turning down the offer for a sedative.  He expects to feel "some pain", but nothing he can't handle.   I have read other more personal stories where people speak of screaming in pain,  passing out from pain, feeling pain like they've never felt in their life.   I have not said anything to him about what I've read, I see no reason to scare him for a week.  Here are my questions.    When we get to the doctor's office should I strongly encourage him to take the sedative?   Should he refrain from eating for a few hours before the appointment?   How is he most likely to feel afterwards? Our drive home from the doctor will take about 90 minutes.   I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.   Thank you!

Comments

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Test

My husband had the same test about 12 years ago.  He didn't take anything but afterwards wished he had.  It is painful but not as bad as other tests that are done.   He didn't have that much trouble with the test and even afterwards and he was about the same age as your husband when he had a bone marrow biopsy done.  Just remember everyone is different in how they react to anything they have done. 

Wishing you and your husband peace and comfort.

• staygold
    staygold Member Posts: 8
    Ladylacy said:

Test

My husband had the same test about 12 years ago.  He didn't take anything but afterwards wished he had.  It is painful but not as bad as other tests that are done.   He didn't have that much trouble with the test and even afterwards and he was about the same age as your husband when he had a bone marrow biopsy done.  Just remember everyone is different in how they react to anything they have done. 

Wishing you and your husband peace and comfort.

Thank you

Thank you Ladylacy.  I will hope for the best and not try to push him into sedation if he doesn't want it on his own.  Thank you.