Pain in hips. buttocks, legs and groin area after radiation and chemo for rectal cancer

Hello,  I am new here and not sure how this all works,  but here goes.  I am a  rectal cancer survival of 1 yr.  I have consistently experienced pain in my hips, buttocks, legs and groin area. Some days are worst than other but I hurt everyday. I get very stiff when I sit for periods of time and it hurts if I stand for too long as well.  My bottom hurts in my rectal area often.  I know that there is no tumor there anymore as I was awake when my last sidmoidoscopy was done and saw the area for myself.  

I thought that by now some of the side effects would be gone.  I read a post earlier that said that it would never get better.  I truly hope that this is not true.  I try to exercise but the area where the tumor was is still sensitive.  Anyone going through this or have any suggestions or information?  

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Radiation side effects

I am over 2 years out from Radation and still suffer some side effects. 

I did experience a heavy, ball like feeling in my rectum/groin area for many months, but it was never painful, and has thankfully gone now. 

I have... I don't even know how to explain it, I HATE to wear underwear or even trousers. I hate to have anything touching me down there, and wear dresses and go commando most of the time. I can't even explain how it makes me feel. Its beyond words. It doesn't hurt, it just feels claustrophobic like. 

I also get sores; and its another reason I like to go commando. 

I do hope that you have talked to your Radiatologist about your symptoms. The pain is a very worrying symptom, and I would want to know for sure if any damage has been done.

And also to go with your own gut instinct as to wether you feel something is right or not. If you feel it is not just something that you should live with, then its best to get yourself checked out. 

Welcome to the forum. Others should be along soon with their advice. 

Sue - Trubrit

• db8ne1
    db8ne1 Member Posts: 142 Member
    What a Pain...

Sorry I don't have any help to offer - but I can certainly relate.  I've always had low back pain (well since my teenage years - that has progressed as I've aged) due to scoliosis and some naturally fused vertebrae in my lower back.  But, since chemo/radiation I've developed VERY painful hips - EXACTLY where the radiation was directed.  My onc and doctors don't believe it's radiation related.  REALLY???  They only started hurting since I completed radiation.  X-rays show no bone damage.  I'm thinking that the radiation (meant to shrink the tumor) shrunk muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. in my hips.  Walking is painful.  Extending my hips is painful (like charley horse in my hips).  My GP recommended going to physical therapy (which he said won't really help) and then getting shots.  I'm still hoping this will dissipate - however it's been over 2 years now.  I hope you find some answers to your questions and solutions for your discomfort.  If you do, please share!!!

J

• Trubrit
    db8ne1 said:

What a Pain...

Sorry I don't have any help to offer - but I can certainly relate.  I've always had low back pain (well since my teenage years - that has progressed as I've aged) due to scoliosis and some naturally fused vertebrae in my lower back.  But, since chemo/radiation I've developed VERY painful hips - EXACTLY where the radiation was directed.  My onc and doctors don't believe it's radiation related.  REALLY???  They only started hurting since I completed radiation.  X-rays show no bone damage.  I'm thinking that the radiation (meant to shrink the tumor) shrunk muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. in my hips.  Walking is painful.  Extending my hips is painful (like charley horse in my hips).  My GP recommended going to physical therapy (which he said won't really help) and then getting shots.  I'm still hoping this will dissipate - however it's been over 2 years now.  I hope you find some answers to your questions and solutions for your discomfort.  If you do, please share!!!

J

Same here

I actually don't bother telling my Radiation Oncologist any of my problems, because when I did initially tell him, he denied that they were caused by the Radiation. 

I've not been able to have sex since Radiation, and he siad that its due to menopause. Really!!! I had absolutely no problems in that area UNTIL I had radiation and then bam, can't make it work. I KNOW it was caused by the Rad, and I don't need a diploma to tell me so. 

So no, I don't bother him with with my side effects. I doubt if he would know how to treat them in any case. 

Sue - Trubrit

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Trubrit said:

Same here

I actually don't bother telling my Radiation Oncologist any of my problems, because when I did initially tell him, he denied that they were caused by the Radiation. 

I've not been able to have sex since Radiation, and he siad that its due to menopause. Really!!! I had absolutely no problems in that area UNTIL I had radiation and then bam, can't make it work. I KNOW it was caused by the Rad, and I don't need a diploma to tell me so. 

So no, I don't bother him with with my side effects. I doubt if he would know how to treat them in any case. 

Sue - Trubrit

Like Sue I had the feeling of

Like Sue I had the feeling of a ball down there for a long time, probably about six months which then finally went away. I never felt that when I actually had a ball there (the tumour) so it was odd. Other than that I've never had any other pains from it. I still credit the fact that I have a car with leather seats snd it was winter with saving me from anything like the sunburn pain they say you can get. Mine was placed very low so I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Trubrit
    JanJan63 said:

Like Sue I had the feeling of

Like Sue I had the feeling of a ball down there for a long time, probably about six months which then finally went away. I never felt that when I actually had a ball there (the tumour) so it was odd. Other than that I've never had any other pains from it. I still credit the fact that I have a car with leather seats snd it was winter with saving me from anything like the sunburn pain they say you can get. Mine was placed very low so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Sun burn where the sun don't shine

I had it. It was BAD BAD BAD! And that is where the sores come from, the damage done by the burns. 

Sue - Trubrit

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Dear Friend,

I had radiation and surgery for rectal cancer. It was pretty bad for about 1 year. I could even put my socks on. Did some physical therapy. But I'm happy to report that after one year things got better and now I am about 90% of my old self and in Cancerland that's pretty good. Do some stretching, physical therapy if you can and be patient. Enjoy being cancer free.

You didn't need surgery?

Laz

• Snoopy73b
    Snoopy73b Member Posts: 2
    lp1964 said:

Dear Friend,

I had radiation and surgery for rectal cancer. It was pretty bad for about 1 year. I could even put my socks on. Did some physical therapy. But I'm happy to report that after one year things got better and now I am about 90% of my old self and in Cancerland that's pretty good. Do some stretching, physical therapy if you can and be patient. Enjoy being cancer free.

You didn't need surgery?

Laz

Same here!

I had radiation along with chemo this past Jan-feb for a low rectal tumor. Then APR surgery in April. Im having hip pain as well. I mentioned it to my oncologist this morning during my appt (today was Folfox treatment 9 out of 10). My pain is worse at night. Uncomfortable to sleep on my side. More pain in my right hip. Also hurts when getting up after sitting down a while. Not so bad or noticeable when I'm up and active during the day. My oncologist isn't totally sure of the cause but we are keeping an eye on it. Next appt in 2 weeks. Personally I think it's a combo of side effect of radiation and lack of activity after surgery.