Let's talk about radiation

Options

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options

Maureen, I was out of town

Maureen, I was out of town and only had a chance to read your reply today.   I wanted to thank you for your post.  In no way did I intend to direct women to NOT take radiation as a treatment.  I, myself, had internal and brachytherapy and knowing what I know now, I can't tell you if I would or would not do it again.  I know at the time, and I still feel this way today, I wanted to do everything I could to beat this beast to death.  

I should add a note to this thread, as a result of the brachy you are given a dialator to use as the treatment causes your vagina to 'shrink'.  It was on CSN that I read a dear, beloved woman write that you have to use the dialator every day, not just the 3 times a week.  I did point this out to my friend and she said that after going to daily her doctor was able to realize a difference in the ease of the internal exams.  

This thread is exactly why I am so grateful for CSN.  To me, these are the conversations, where we can have these discussions and share our stories on treatment, side effects, etc...that truly can help all of us.  

Foot note:  I was traveling this past week and found a woman's purse on a city's mass transit system.  Fortunately, she did not have a lock or finger swipe on her phone and we were able to call someone in her phone and get her purse back to her.  Of course, the woman and her husband wanted to do something for me to show their appreciation, but I asked that they pray for a cure for cancer.  We have lost too many friends to this terrible disease.  (I write this as a note for everyone who locks their phone.  There are good and bad people out there.  I have found at least 4 cell phones in a variety of places, and now one purse, and was able to get them back to the rightful owner because their phones were not locked.  That is something to think about)

I need to add a second

I need to add a second footnote here.  (I am adding here because I want to call attention to the EXCELLENT post by Maureen.) 

I got a call today that this beautfiul woman passed from this earth.   

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

I need to add a second

I need to add a second footnote here.  (I am adding here because I want to call attention to the EXCELLENT post by Maureen.) 

I am truly sorry.
    Love,
    Eldri

I am truly sorry.

Love,

Eldri

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I need to add a second

Who?

Are you saying that Maureen passed away? How sad! She didn't give any indication that she was not well. I hope she did not suffer. Sandy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Sandy3185 said:

Who?

Are you saying that Maureen passed away? How sad! She didn't give any indication that she was not well. I hope she did not suffer. Sandy

sandy

I believe NoTimeforCancer was talking about the lady that posted the video referenced way above in this thread; not Maureen.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

I need to add a second

NoTimeForCancer

Sorry to hear this. She made a big difference for many people along the way.

She is at peace now with no pain.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Options

sandy

I believe NoTimeforCancer was talking about the lady that posted the video referenced way above in this thread; not Maureen.

Thanks Cindi

I completely misunderstood! But how sad to lose someone who fought so hard! My heart goes out to her friends and family. Sandy

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options
    Sandy3185 said:

Thanks Cindi

I completely misunderstood! But how sad to lose someone who fought so hard! My heart goes out to her friends and family. Sandy

I'm sorry, Sandy.  I should

I'm sorry, Sandy.  I should have been more clear about who we lost.  It was Tranette who made the video.  The other ladies are correct, her family and friends are so grateful she is no longer suffering. 

We have not heard from Anne lately.  She is the beautiful warrior who started this dynamic thread.  She was undergoing a clinical trial and pray she is ok.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options

I'm sorry, Sandy.  I should

I'm sorry, Sandy.  I should have been more clear about who we lost.  It was Tranette who made the video.  The other ladies are correct, her family and friends are so grateful she is no longer suffering. 

We have not heard from Anne lately.  She is the beautiful warrior who started this dynamic thread.  She was undergoing a clinical trial and pray she is ok.

Anne

NoTime - I am very concerned about Anne (AWK) as well. I sent her a couple of emails over the last few weeks and have not heard back.

If anyone has personal email, phone number or other contact information - please reach out to her for us. She has not been on line for well over 2 weeks.

I pray that she is on an extended vacation! I miss her.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Options

Anne

NoTime - I am very concerned about Anne (AWK) as well. I sent her a couple of emails over the last few weeks and have not heard back.

If anyone has personal email, phone number or other contact information - please reach out to her for us. She has not been on line for well over 2 weeks.

I pray that she is on an extended vacation! I miss her.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

I haven't heard from her

since the end of December.  She said at that time that the new trial had been very rough on her, but as typical for Anne, said that she would rally.  She was also possibly looking at surgery to remove a new tumor.  

I have been thinking of her a lot over the past week or so and wonder how she is doing.  She also belongs to a uterine cancer Facebook group, but she has not been active on that in about a month as well.

Chris

• Editgrl
    Options
    One down, two to go

I had my first brachytherapy today.  My experience was very similar to Cindy's.  Undressed from the waist down, was able to keep shoes and socks on, put on gown, and there was that warmed blanket!  The staff was very caring and respectful and really tried to put me at ease as I was a bit nervous. Lots of Lidocaine before the insertion, insertion wasn't comfortable, but not painful.  They did an x-ray to verify placement, then connected the cable to the cylinder and to the HDR machine. There was "spa" music playing during the entire treatment, but the techs said I could bring in a CD of my choice if I wanted to. The actual treatment lasted 9:25.  Plenty of time to practice my new meditation skills.  So far today, no major side effects, no fatigue.  In fact, I am going to my usual Wednesday dance classes tonight.  The doctor said that if side effects are to occur, they usually show up 2-3 days after treatment.  I'm going to pick up some AZO on my way home, just to be prepared in case stuff decides to make an appearance in the middle of the night, as things are wont to do!

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

One down, two to go

I had my first brachytherapy today.  My experience was very similar to Cindy's.  Undressed from the waist down, was able to keep shoes and socks on, put on gown, and there was that warmed blanket!  The staff was very caring and respectful and really tried to put me at ease as I was a bit nervous. Lots of Lidocaine before the insertion, insertion wasn't comfortable, but not painful.  They did an x-ray to verify placement, then connected the cable to the cylinder and to the HDR machine. There was "spa" music playing during the entire treatment, but the techs said I could bring in a CD of my choice if I wanted to. The actual treatment lasted 9:25.  Plenty of time to practice my new meditation skills.  So far today, no major side effects, no fatigue.  In fact, I am going to my usual Wednesday dance classes tonight.  The doctor said that if side effects are to occur, they usually show up 2-3 days after treatment.  I'm going to pick up some AZO on my way home, just to be prepared in case stuff decides to make an appearance in the middle of the night, as things are wont to do!

Yea!

I'm glad it went well for you Chris. Just think, you are almost done!

I won't be surprised if you sail through this just like you did chemo.

Have fun tonight.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

One down, two to go

I'm so glad to hear how well

I'm so glad to hear how well the radiation went for you, Chris.  I hope you had a good time at your dance class last night!

Love,

Eldri

• ncg007
    ncg007 Member Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

One down, two to go

Chris, Happy to hear your

Chris, Happy to hear your radiation went well and hoping you ended up with no side effects.

Nancy

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Radiation and chemo

after reading all the posts, I must be somewhat unique in that I had surgery, then radiation and tomorrow I start chemo. I'm not sure why the difference, but that seems to be the way my doctor does it as I know a couple other people with the same disease that has progressed this way. I really didn't question the radiation, so I hope I don't have many lasting effects. Who knows? I really do like my oncologist a lot and he is very well respected in my community. I'm now more nervous about chemo, but I have been reading about everyone's experience and advice. I guess it's fear of the unknown.

• NoTimeForCancer
    Options
    Soup52 said:

Radiation and chemo

after reading all the posts, I must be somewhat unique in that I had surgery, then radiation and tomorrow I start chemo. I'm not sure why the difference, but that seems to be the way my doctor does it as I know a couple other people with the same disease that has progressed this way. I really didn't question the radiation, so I hope I don't have many lasting effects. Who knows? I really do like my oncologist a lot and he is very well respected in my community. I'm now more nervous about chemo, but I have been reading about everyone's experience and advice. I guess it's fear of the unknown.

Soup, good luck tomorrow.

Soup, good luck tomorrow.  You are right, the fear of the unknown is really something!  I promise you - you are going to surprise yourself.  After reading everything you probably have, you are probably as prepared as you are going to be.  Be kind to yourself and know we are here.

• Editgrl
    Options
    Rang the bell!

Third and final brachytherapy done this morning!  Yahoo!  Last of treatment for now.  Except for the possible UTI.  Had a slight temp this morning and based on some other factors, doc thinks I should go pee in a cup.  Will do so.  Dealing with a UTI seems almost inconsequential now.

• Editgrl said:

Rang the bell!

Third and final brachytherapy done this morning!  Yahoo!  Last of treatment for now.  Except for the possible UTI.  Had a slight temp this morning and based on some other factors, doc thinks I should go pee in a cup.  Will do so.  Dealing with a UTI seems almost inconsequential now.

Good news, great news.

I dream of ringing the bell too.  Hope you beat the crap out of it, just like you did your cancer.  Many days, weeks and years of wonderful forgetfullness about this dang cancer.  Hugs Nancy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Rang the bell!

CONGRATS!

So happy for you. It does feel wonderful to be finished. .... 

Agree - a UTI is a small blip on the radar! But, hope it clears up quickly for you...

By the way, I have used the normal dialators every day since I got them last week. And, I advanced up to the size I plan to stick with. Not going to attempt that Large monster they included in the kit! I'm a bit sore today but it isn't bad. I think I'll try to use the cool cone tomorrow instead of the normal ones. Either way, both are doable. I'm looking forward to having the two week daily requirements behind me. Then going to 2-3 times per week will be easier.

I can't say I'm thrilled with using them, but it really isn't that big of a deal for me. It is worth it to keep things open for check ups and other things. Laughing

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Rang the bell!

Congratulations!

Congratulations on completing your treatments! It is so great to follow inspiring stories like yours. It gives me hope that I will be able to finish mine as well. Enjoy your post-treatment life!

• bluehyacinth
    bluehyacinth Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Editgrl said:

Curious about weight loss

One of the medical oncologists on the Friday panel mentioned weight loss as a result of radiation.  Did anyone here experience that? That's always a concern for me because I am so slight, though I managed to get through chemo just fine.  Still trying to make a decision re:radiation.

I went from 105 to 85 on my

I went from 105 to 85 on my 29 rads, but I was on concurrent chemo (stage 3IIIC2 serous). I gained it back quicklky though and now only have one chemo round left. I got the mother of back pains though, can barely move and it started a week ago. Could be rad side effects or simply a wrong move, but revoering from anything takes so long when all ther blood numbers are rock bottom.

I regret not taking probiotivs during rads, I figured with the diarrhea and constant nausea (only the last two weeks) it would not make a diff, but sounds like it did for some posters. I now take them as I am slightly constipated.