IMPT vs IMRT (rotating)

Kenny-
Kenny- Member Posts: 99 Member

I recently began reading about IMPT vs IMRT. IMRT seems to be the conventional method for NPC treatment, but IMPT claims superior targeting therefore, less damage to adjacent organs.

Has anyone had IMPT and good success stories? IMPT being new technology is only available in select locations. 

thanks for your input! If all goes well, I should be starting my treatment in about 5-10 days from now, but this is one final thing I wanted to get people's thoughts on.

Comments

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Impt

Kenny,

We actually investigated this a bit and the answer of which is better for you depends on the size of your tumor, where it's located and how much volume has to be radiated. In our case the volume of area in the skull to be radiated was pretty significant so IMRT was a better choice. Proton therapy supposedly can stop on a dime, so if the tumor is near critical structures like optic nerve etc. it may be a good choice. IMRT has been around longer and so the software that controls the programming is more robust. 

I know that doesn't answer your question, but like so many things associated with cancer the answer needs to be very personalized. 

Barbara

• BarryChen1010
    BarryChen1010 Member Posts: 27
    My doctor recommended proton

My doctor recommended proton therapy to me and I accepted and still have 1 week left for treatment. I was doubt about the effectiveness until the doctor said the response is good last week after some scope. I was told pt has less side effects. I'm only 36, and don't want to too much tough effects.But I have to keep checking whether this is true or not. Good luck and God bless us.

• Kenny-
    Barbaraek said:

Impt

Kenny,

We actually investigated this a bit and the answer of which is better for you depends on the size of your tumor, where it's located and how much volume has to be radiated. In our case the volume of area in the skull to be radiated was pretty significant so IMRT was a better choice. Proton therapy supposedly can stop on a dime, so if the tumor is near critical structures like optic nerve etc. it may be a good choice. IMRT has been around longer and so the software that controls the programming is more robust. 

I know that doesn't answer your question, but like so many things associated with cancer the answer needs to be very personalized. 

Barbara

Thanks Barbaraek! That's

Thanks Barbaraek! That's pretty good information. You did answer a couple of things that I intend to dig further as well. It gave me a headsstart.

• Kenny-

My doctor recommended proton

My doctor recommended proton therapy to me and I accepted and still have 1 week left for treatment. I was doubt about the effectiveness until the doctor said the response is good last week after some scope. I was told pt has less side effects. I'm only 36, and don't want to too much tough effects.But I have to keep checking whether this is true or not. Good luck and God bless us.

Barry that's great news! If

Barry that's great news! If you don't mind sharing, did it has specific conditions which made it favourable for Proton over IMRT?

• Barbaraek
    Barbaraek Member Posts: 626
    Barbaraek said:

Impt

Kenny,

Barbara

Proton therapy

is also not offered everywhere, because not everyone has the equipment. So that is something else to consider - you may have to travel to receive the tx.

barbara

• BarryChen1010
    BarryChen1010 Member Posts: 27
    Kenny- said:

Barry that's great news! If

Barry that's great news! If you don't mind sharing, did it has specific conditions which made it favourable for Proton over IMRT?

I was not aware of special

I was not aware of special cases make proton work better for me except side effects, but no sure that from doctors view.

Mine is stage4 and the primary is 3.5cm. There is some local spread to/close to skull. Both sides Lyn nodes involved. Largest is 1x1 around. I am not sure these are small enough for proton. I think the cases are not enough for Proton to treat NPC and doctor may not have enough data either. I did see a lot people come to treat HNC in proton center. This gives me some confidence in it.