Who had a recurrence after stage 1?

So chemo is over and soon I start the every 3 months visits for 2 years. I know a recurrence of ovarian cancer when it was stage 3 or 4 is very high, but what about when it was stage 1? I haven't seen many statistics about this. And every time I do read something, it sounds like EVERYONE has a recurrence. I think the stage 1 people don't post much because it's just hard to find personal experience about it. I just need some reassurance I guess.

Comments

• Lily_Anne
    Lily_Anne Member Posts: 39
    I have

My cancer was stage 1 in 2012, I had 3 monthy visits which went to 4 monthly. Was due to go to six monthly in May 2015 but my CA125 returned as 47, CT scan clear. In July bloods 102 CT scan September 2015 shows pelvic mass. Now waiting for MRI scan. Am really shocked as my consultant had been positive that my treatment was curative and now I know it wasn't. The next step maybe surgery, maybe not. 

LA

• NYHoosier
    NYHoosier Member Posts: 1
    I was diagnosed with Stage 1

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 ovarian cancer in 2001 and have had two recurrences; one in 2011 and the other this year. The important thing is that you keep your follow up appointments and be mindful of any changes you experience even after your told you're "out of the woods" so to speak. Wishing you all the best!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    NYHoosier said:

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 ovarian cancer in 2001 and have had two recurrences; one in 2011 and the other this year. The important thing is that you keep your follow up appointments and be mindful of any changes you experience even after your told you're "out of the woods" so to speak. Wishing you all the best!

NYHoosier, so nice to hear

NYHoosier, so nice to hear from you.  I am sorry you have had two recurrences, and I was hoping you could answer a question for everyone.  I agree that you keep your follow ups and be aware of your body, so maybe you would be willing to share how you found out about your recurrence?  Did you feel something?  Was it a CA number?  Was there symptoms? 

I realize that everyone is different, and for everyone with one of these beasts in our lives, it is just something I am curious about.  Thank you in advance for anything you are willing to share.

• calafia
    calafia Member Posts: 8
    I did

I was diagnosed as stage 1 in 2013 and had surgery followed by chemo. Since then my CA-125 had been under 10, I had no other symptoms, and my doctors and I were optimistic that the initial treatment was a success. Unfortunately, I recurred in 2015 with bowel issues, pelvic discomfort, and a sudden rise in CA-125 to over 50. Ultrasound showed a mass near the location of my original cancer. I had surgery to remove it, and it turned out to be a 3 cm malignant tumor causing partial blockage of my lower intestine.

• pandagypsy
    pandagypsy Member Posts: 113
    NYHoosier said:

GREAT advice NYHoosier

My point to my "scared out of her wits" daughter is KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. She admits to being so scared, seeing all that I have been thru...........my point, besides knowing and being able to make a DECISION, is that I AM STILL ALIVE! Unlike relatives who denied what was happening to them..............