I am having a breast MRI Tommorrow..alittle nervous

Well I am having a breast MRI tommorrow and feeling alittle nervous because I dont like enclosed spaces, and I dont like needles either and they told me I have to have contrast. All this still seems so unreal right now, I keep thinking this is just a bad dream I will wake up from..unfortunately its not..Frown

Comments

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    I learned some techniques to

I learned some techniques to keep me calm during stressful medical procedures.

I breathe slowly in and out.

I think of some place that I love.. the garden, walk the dog, etc.

If it is really bad, I even talk aloud about what I see and do...I am walking the dog along the gravel road..I see trees, flowers. We go around the corner etc.

I don't care if the staff think I am nuts. They are just doing a job and I need to do what I need to do to stay calm. That is my job.

Good luck on your MRI. I will be thinking about you!

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53
    You will do fine.  I don't

You will do fine.  I don't like enclosed places either.  They gave me valium 20 minutes before.  Ask if you can get it.

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    When I had mine, I closed my

When I had mine, I closed my eyes and counted sheep! Literally. I imagined these two pastures with a fence in between and cute little sheep jumping over. It kept my mind occupied.

You can also ask them to sedate you.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    When I got mine done, I kept

When I got mine done, I kept my eyes closed the entire time. I was afraid I would panic in the closed space. I decided to review my children's lives year by year to kill the time and it was over before I knew it. Good luck!

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    button2 said:

When I got mine done, I kept

When I got mine done, I kept my eyes closed the entire time. I was afraid I would panic in the closed space. I decided to review my children's lives year by year to kill the time and it was over before I knew it. Good luck!

MRI

Breath in *  Breath Out  *  Close your eyes  *  Let Go of All Fear  *  YOU CAN DO THIS **   Remember that all of these tests are for our benefit...these tests are the Miracles we have been given for Eventual Healing....Prayers for Courage and for Strength....  Glo

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    GlowMore said:

MRI

Breath in *  Breath Out  *  Close your eyes  *  Let Go of All Fear  *  YOU CAN DO THIS **   Remember that all of these tests are for our benefit...these tests are the Miracles we have been given for Eventual Healing....Prayers for Courage and for Strength....  Glo

... Any update ?

We are here for you ... Please update us when possible. 

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki Sam

• Sodonewiththis
    Sodonewiththis Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am rather new to all

Hi, I am rather new to all this fun &excitement myself! That was one of least stressful test to me(probably cause I have MS & am used to "regular" MRI). No real pain involved, just let "the girls " hang down trru hole in table. I hope all went smoothly for you.Smile

Hope I did this correctly! I also in no way meant no offense to you regarding your dislike of needles &confined spaces!

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Results yet?

• Katie2015
    Katie2015 Member Posts: 4
    Enclosed spaces on MRI

Keep your eyes closed and pretend you are sleeping.  This really does work when you find yourself in an MRI situation.  Think about getting through the test and knowing once and for all if there is anything wrong.  This is an excellent test so don't worry.  The enclosure is worth finding definitive results.